1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

I'd call the manufacturer....mine can be buffed the next day. It might say on the can?

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good idea arch I will call them tomorrow- sometimes the answers are right in front of you:)

I was at the boat store today. I picked up the zinc chromate, 2 cans of evinrude platinum for the motor and rubrail, and my bilge pump and hose.

I plan on painting the rubrail the same color as the motor to tie it all together.

About to head outside to prime the rubrail and maybe do the electrical for the fishfinder and bilge pump. I just realized I didn't buy a switch for the bilge pump:(

Triton II

Commander

Good job Micks. She looks a million times better than the "before" shots! :D

Good luck with the etch priming, should be easy from now on!

TII

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks good mick bet your getting amped up about it. bugs have the same mental capacity as a lot of humans. Being that I have worked in construction quite extensivly you can be standing there with a brush/sprayer/roller and people will walk buy and say u painting then proceed to touch what ever it is you are painting. Then some of them will gripe at you for getting paint on them. Just have to look at them and say DA.

about polishing call pettit and ask.

:Dgood to see that god blessed you with a perfect head just like me. I am just glad that god gave the rest of them hair.:D

micks110

seamorewater- LOL- yeh we are a "blessed" group!

I got a bunch done last night like doing some waxing, getting all the gauges in and finishing up paint on the rubrail. I have a video and pics but I can't find the cable for my camera:eek:

I will post as soon as I get to look around more when I get home from work. I finished at about 1:30 last night so I had no time to look then.

micks110

Found the cord!

Last night I got some waxing done, got the gauges in but not hooked up yet, and I got the rubrail done with paint.

Here are the pics and then a VIDEO!

Rod holders and light installed
100_1414.jpg
[/IMG]

Gauges, wheel, speakers, and radio installed
100_1415.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1416.jpg
[/IMG]

The new plates that I got when I bought the uni-charger off ebay look awesome compared to the faded beat up old ones
100_1417.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll post the video once it's done uploading.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Love the resto....great work.

New hardware really makes these boats pop. Wish I had some more money to put towards my project.....but we are worried about hitting the water first....we can make it pretty later!

andgott

Looks outstanding... I love the wheel. One of the ships I piloted a few yrs back had an almost identical one- Except it was 675 feet long :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
The boat is coming along nicely. The gages and wheel look real nice.
Great Job.
Bob

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

Looks absolutely amazing Mick! Everything looks as it should. Congratulations, you're getting there.

tallcanadian

Captain

Another step closer. Looks amazing. I like the charcoal, very nice.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great Mick! Your getting closer to the big splash!

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good Mick! Is your boat sitting at trailer hight? Could be a pain to fill up if its too high, and keep rags handy for any acidental blow off from filling up. Would hate to see thar great paint job eaten away by gas.

micks110

Insanity- yeh the gas fill up is in the ideal place for asthetics but not for function. I'm thinking I will have to stand in the boat and reach over the windshield to fill her up- doing it the way should be my best option to avoid accidents.

Since I was up till 2 the night before last I ended up conkin out after I put the kids to bed last night. My wife woke me up at 2 when she woke up from the sofa:) so I didn't get anything done last night.

Tonight I'm hoping to get the electrical stuff hooked up and maybe get the waxing done.

micks110

Thanks guys for all your comments:D

Well it's 3 am and I'm just getting in. Tonight I got all the electrical hooked up except for the tach. I have to ask a couple questions at my boat place about which wires to use from the uni-charger. They used to sell these boats so they should have the answer for me.

I also got the horn hooked up and wired, and the fishfinder hooked up and the wire run and drilled through the transom.

I got the ski hook ups back in as well and used 4200 this time around EZ:)

I did some other odds and ends stuff but I'm pretty beat right now.

Here are the new pics

Honk Honk!
a3f91238.jpg
[/IMG]
92ad50b9.jpg
[/IMG]
57ca8805.jpg
[/IMG]

Goodnight/morning:eek:

tiresmokindad

Recruit

micks110 you did a great job! I think I could restore also my 1969 Arkansas Traveler. Hope I can.

micks110

Thanks Bob! You know I will keep the pics coming!

Tiresmokindad- The only way to figure out if you can do it is to dive right in! These guys on this site are awesome and they can get you through anything along the way.

Tonight I got two coats of wax on the boat and then I enlisted my dad to come over and help me get the rubrail on. I knew it would be impossible to do by myself since it is one single piece of aluminum! I couldn't be happier with they way it turned out with the paint on it too.

I started by adding a bead of 4200 under the perimeter of the entire cap(that was a pain in the ***). Then I drilled for and added about 25 rivets and cleaned off the excess 4200 that oozed out(again- pain in the ***).

Then the two of us eventually got the rubrail started in the back- that was the only way we could do it with just the two of us. Ideally you should start in the front so everything lines up. I added a rivet about every 4 feet just to get her in place so my dad could leave. Amazingly everything lined up perfectly!

After he left I drilled for and added 72 rivets! I have 3 left after two 50 count boxes. Good luck to the next person who ever tries to get this top off!!!

I really liked the way it turned out. I like how the paint on the rubrail will tie into the paint on the motor. It also breaks up the white and blue too. I'm pretty stoked right now! Now I have to order the rubber insert that goes inside the channel.

Oh yeh, I used 3/16" aluminum rivets with a range from 1/8"-1/2".

Ok here are the pics- my hands hurt and I'm tired as hell after last night.

f2070739.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1419.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1420.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1422.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1423.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1424.jpg
[/IMG]