1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

That strip Mick is the rub rail. I took mine off because the original one was all pitted. I replace it with a solid black pvc one I got from my local marine store.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Mick, its been a while since I had time to log on but wow you have made nice progress. Looking good with the top back on. now i cant wait to see it all painted. I have to hurry up and finish my house project so I can get out on the water.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Bummer about the wrong size tach, I know you'llfigure it out. Thanks for the push on the thread link, it took me a little while but figured it out....tink

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I got out on the boat last night:D Turns out I can fit the tach on the dash where I wanted to put it- it is tight but pretty much the only place I can put it if I want a tach.

Here is the pic(I screwed up the first spot- that's why you see two circles)
100_1374.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1375.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the tach
100_1372.jpg
[/IMG]

I also got off the nonskid tape that non skid stuff that was on there. I used the propane torch to heat it up and it scraped right off.
100_1376.jpg
[/IMG]

I also started to sand down the rubrail area. I'm finding the paint on the top is sanding very easy compared to the paint that was on the hull.

I'm thinking I'm just going to leave that trim piece on and just clean it up, and tape it off while painting.
100_1352-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Again I was thinking of taking it off and replacing it with something like this
http://www.trimlok.com/regular_trim.aspx
but I think the original piece looks better- plus it will save me $100!

More to come tonight

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad the sand paper stuff came up, that looked like it could be a mess! Looking good!

micks110

Ha! Arch- it still is a mess- now I have to get all the stickiness up that it left behind:mad:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

If the glue is really thick, you can soften it up with lacquer thinner. After that you can take a utility knife blade, hold it 90 degrees to the surface, then drag it. The glue will roll up into little glue wads. Usually most of it will come off, the rest typically will come of with a rag and thinner. I spent a good part of my high school removing decals off of rental trucks...great fun!

micks110

Thanks arch for the tip. I figured on using lacquer thinner but I didn't think about pulling the blade- I usually just push it and do all kinds of damage:)

I got a fishfinder/depthfinder today. I wanted to stay under $300 and at that price I didn't think I'd be in the market for a color screen. But, at Cabelas I got a nice color one for $279- a Humminbird 345c. I had a $25 gift card and I got another $20 off for opening a Cabela's card, so I was pretty happy. Plus the kids got to see all the animals and fish. We had our daughter there before but this was the first time for our 2 year old son.

I'll post more later with pics- I just got out on the boat now- it's gonna be a late night:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Why is it that you are always starting about the time I'm quitting! :D Looking forward to seeing what you get done.

micks110

LOL:D Arch- the answer to your question has two parts but it is pretty simple:
1. Wife
and
2. Kids!!!

That about sums up why I don't get out here until I do:p

I'm still out working- but I brought the laptop out to see if the wireless signal reaches and it does. So I'm taking a break and posting the stuff I got today.

My longer cable for my steering came in- they just got me a whole new unit and I returned the shorter one.
100_1379.jpg
[/IMG]

The gas thing came today from wholesalemarine.com
100_1378.jpg
[/IMG]

And the fishfinder from cabelas
100_1377.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks at home here instead of on the dash on the drivers side. Plus there is still enough room to put the phone or keys
100_1380.jpg
[/IMG]

Right now I'm working on removing paint from the lip of that trim piece on the gunnels. After I'm done with that I bought "Eagle One Never Dull Original Wadding Polish". This stuff is supposed to remove the dull appearance on aluminum and restore the luster. I tested it on part of the windshield frame and wouldn't you know it it worked! I will take some pics and post them then. This is tedious work and very time consuming.

Back to work...

micks110

Here you go. "Never Dull" bought it for $6 or $7 at my auto parts store.

You can see the difference at both ends as opposed to the 4-6 inches in the middle. I was skeptical that a "cheap" product would work, so I tore a piece of the cotton like stuff off the ball and wiped for about 20 seconds and then wiped the frame with a clean terry towel and this was the result. In my case- its better than paying $550 + shipping for a new windshield and frames.
100_1382.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1384.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1386.jpg
[/IMG]

micks110

Here is a close up of the trim piece and the paint on the lip that I am removing. Hopefully you can see it in the pics.

Before- with the red paint on the lip of the trim piece
100_1387.jpg
[/IMG]

After being scraped with a razor blade and sanded with 150 grit. I may just sand the entire trim piece up to 220 grit, wipe it with "never dull", and call it done. This trim piece should be fun trying to tape it off to avoid paint when I re-paint her:confused:
100_1389.jpg
[/IMG]

Got half of the trim to go then I'm calling it a night- I'm pooped!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks good Mick. 3M makes a non "crape" striping tape. You can get it at a auto paint place...It comes in narrow widths, which you can bend around the corners and contours. The nice thing about it being non-crape, is that the paint won't bleed under it. Its more like a vinyl than a paper. Just a thought, normal tape works too, just isn't as clean sometimes. I used that stuff when I laid out my stripes, left a nice clean edge.

micks110

Thanks Arch. I'll look into that. I just finished up getting the paint off the trim. I started sanding the filler areas around the gunnel with 100 grit- finishing that then calling it a night(morning).

micks110

These pics were from last night. I had to do it- I laid out where the back to back seats would be located:D And yes, while sitting on the bucket I was making vroom, vroom sounds:p

100_1392.jpg
[/IMG]

Plenty of space in the rear for fishing!
100_1393.jpg
[/IMG]

The infamous bucket!
100_1394.jpg
[/IMG]

A view from the drivers seat! Vroom, Vroom...
100_1395.jpg
[/IMG]

Back to sanding and filler!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
Looks like you got some pretty nice tools to play with. I'm glad that the tach worked out for you too.
Nothing wrong with sitting on a bucket making motor sounds either, I was sitting on my deck doing it, Facing the stern, I forgot which way this boat is supposed to go.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick you might want to open the garage door before you throw her in gear! :D:D What are you doing for seats? I forget.

micks110

Hey Bob- I'm sure you'll get it "right" when you get some more time on the boat!

Arch- I'll be sure to open the door for her first voyage! Back to back seats are the way I'm going. Something like these
http://www.iboats.com/Back-to-Back-...5880440--**********.784798541--view_id.473666

Well after sanding a bunch and vacuuming, I went through my second round of filler(gunnels are done) for all the obvious stuff. I'll let it sit until I can get out on her again- not sure when that will be:confused:

100_1396.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1397.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1398.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1399.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, that's it until I can get back out on her again. Tomorrow I have to cut my 8' high grass and open the pool. At night I have lessons to do again so who knows when I'll be back at it again?

Good Luck on all your projects! Arch- the prop looks great on max- oh, and the fenders look "ok" too- bout time you're about to wrap up that trailer project!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick, good to see your post....I was wondering if you were stuck in that glue on the bow, :D. Looks like you are moving along....just blow off the lawn tomorrow and tell your wife you are into the "natural look". That should buy you 4 hours on the boat! Pool? That sounds like a good place for sea trials too me!