1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Sorry to here that about the $ issues. Teaching is a great job but even in schools now around here they are cutting back positions. Do more with less is the motto these days. I hope your up and running soon.

Arch- I'd live to flip her today, but we just got done with a game and now I'm heading to a kids birthday party to meet up with the wife and kids:) you got enough going on to keep you occupied for a day:)

micks110

Looks like tomorrow should be an interesting day trying to bring in the hull and put the cap on. It is raining tonight already and it is supposed to be raining all day tomorrow. I'm still trying to get it done though:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

If you made it through all the glass grinding, a little rain should be nothing! :D

micks110

We got the hull back in the garage today back on the supports I made for it and then we got the cap back on! The cap was an issue though because when I re-fiberglassed the knee walls in the back they were wider than original. So I had to break out the reciprocating saw and cut out a 2"long X 1/4" wedge and then we got the cap on with no problems.

I got a video too- I will post it when youtube is done doing what it does.

100_1358.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1357.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1359.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1360.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1361.jpg
[/IMG]

This black adhesive sandpaper stuff will need to be removed- that should be fun.
100_1362.jpg
[/IMG]

And the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJU0mSusr5I

She finally looks like a boat again. I temporarily added about six screws along the rubrail area just to keep the cap in place for now. I started to remove the windshield frame but then I was summoned to get in the house.

Oh well- let the fun on the top begin. I probably won't be on it much this week but I have some renewed energy now seeing her back together that I will get at it whenever I have even an hour.

tallcanadian

Captain

Yes sir, she is starting to look like a boat again. This is the exciting part. Enjoy.

micks110

Thanks tallcanadian! I was just looking online at a place we stayed at for two or three years when I was a kid in Canada for fishing trips. Rideau lake. I'm still trying to find the cabins we stayed at. This boat will be back there one day!

micks110

Found out where we stayed- Rideau Breeze Marina cabins.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
Congrats on getting the two half's back together. How hard will it be to fix the knee wall you had to cut?
Well it won't be long now and you will be on the water.
Nice job.
Bob

micks110

Hey Bob,
The knee wall won't take much at all to reglass the top area I had to cut out. I will get some pics of it if I can when I get to it. There was no way around it though- it had to be done to get the cap back on.

The other issue that I ran into was the thickness of the transom. My new one seems to be a 1/8th to a 3/16th" thicker that the last. The cap went back on but it was tight around the transom.

I'm just glad the cap is back on.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Micks, looking good, starting to look like a boat again for sure. definitely gives you a good feeling. to bad about the cut, easy fix. keep up the good work.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking good Mick! They sell rubber boots for the round hole in your splash well. I like them because the help keep water from getting inside the boat.

micks110

Hey guys thanks for the replies. i am very excited and wish it were January again so I could be working on the boat every night!

I will be picking up my speedo, tach, and longer steering cable today if I get time. It is raining here so just meeting for a quick practice after school with the kids.

Where do you guys run your drain tube for the bilge pump out of the boat?

micks110

Well I picked up the speedo yesterday at lunch- I am still waiting on the tach and the longer steering cable.

I got some time out on the boat tonight and I was able to sand the dash where I needed to use filler. I then went ahead and cut out my hole for the speedo(3 3/8") and I went ahead and drilled out the tach hole as well(2 1/16").

I also got the windshield base frame off and started to remove the damned silicone.

Here are the pics

100_1364.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1368.jpg
[/IMG]

I had to move the speedo down a bit because of the wood support for the bow of the boat. Som *****! It looks like the speedo is off center about an 1/8" to 3/16"! I freakin measured that about a dozen times! So much for measure twice, cut once! Som *****!!!
100_1370.jpg
[/IMG]

I also picked up some other stuff for the speedo and the transom where the tube will drop down
100_1367.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1366.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1371.jpg
[/IMG]

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks good Mick, I'm pretty sure no one will ever know its off! I hate sillycone! :mad: its always such a pain to get off!

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

My bilge pumps through the side of my hull.
I like the look of the speedo. Remember, if you keep the mistakes to yourself....no one else will know.:D I have that problem as well... don't say anything and people will think its the greatest.:D

Everything is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work as you are an inspiration to my project as well.:cool:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
The boat is looking good and that speedo will fit right in. I agree with the others, The only one that will ever know it's off, is you.
Glad to see you get a little time on the boat.
Take care
Bob

micks110

Thanks for the comments guys. They are much appreciated:)

Tink- I see you got the thread link on your signature now- Nice!

I picked up my tach and steering cable yesterday and I was thrown for a loop. The research I did online showed the tach to be 2"- well that was for a 6,000rpm- my engine required the 7,000rpm and that is 4" in diameter. So I'm not sure what I am going to do now since that is the reason why my speedo had to move to the middle of the dash(tight space). I already have the 2" hole drilled out too which isn't that big of a deal- but I will be on the boat tonight so I will have a better idea then.

I have a question too? the trim piece that runs all along the bottom of the gunnel. I was thinking of replacing this. Does anyone know what it is called and do you have a link to someplace that sells it in any form- aluminum, plastic, rubber?

100_1352-1.jpg
[/IMG]

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick you might get some measurements on the aluminum, you might be able to find a local aluminum dealer that has that profile. We have some guys here that carry everything under the sun. Looks like that is some kind of a U shape? Is there someplace where you could mount the tach on a bracket?