Decking Options

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi there. I recently purchased a boat with a soft floor and it needs replacement. I've seen how it's normally done, and I don't like it. It seems like it would be better to replace the deck with a material that cannot rot. Does anyone have ecperience with using fiberglass sheets. I've seen some stuff before that is like 1/2 or 5/8 fiberglass sheets, but I don't know who manufactured it or what it's called. This stuff was extremely tough and rigid. Seemed to me like a way better material than fiberglassed wood, and would be way easier to use. Just screw it down, maybe glass in the edges, lay some carpet, and never worry about it again. If anyone can enlighten me on decking a boat without using wood that would be fantastic. Wood and water just don't mix to me, and I don't want to replace another deck down the road if I can help it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Decking Options

Ayuh,... Do a search,... This has been beat to Death...

Due to Many factors,.... Wood is Still the Best answer...

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would seriously look into alternative decking materials as in outdoor deck for your house.
Such as extruded aluminum or vinyl "deck boards". Just google vinyl, pvc, aluminum decking.
http://www.lockdry.com/
Pricey, yes but you will never have to replace the floor again. Is colorfast, slip resistant, won't mold, rot, warp, sag, leak, splinter, etc.
Plus if you get the right type, you can remove one or two to gain access below deck if needed in the future.
Might also really enhance the resale value as soft floors are always something to avoid in buying a used boat.

erikgreen

Captain

I think this is one of the classic new member questions here, I asked it myself...

"My boat's XXX rotted, I have to fix it. Obviously you traditional guys don't know much about newer materials since you still use wood. How about a composite or plastic XXX that will never rot?"

The reason wood is still used a lot is that it's cheap, and if taken care of will last a long, long time.

But there are plenty of non rotting materials out there. There just aren't any cheap ones suited for marine use. Plastic deck planks are too floppy and heavy, plastic lumber is too flexible and fiberglass won't stick to it, metal is ok but more expensive and may cause cracking in a fiberglass hull (different rates of flexure).

Just do a search on the topic of composite stringers here and you'll see more discussion than you ever wanted to :)

If you still want non rotting stiff decking, check out nida-core. Plastic honeycomb, never rots. It's what the pros use.

Erik

BigBoatinOkie

I'm just worried about going back in with wood. I've owned two boats, and both had rotten decks. One had rotten transom and motor mounts as well. this one only has a soft spot about 16 inches wide due to improper deck installation prior. Granted they were 25 years old, but the boat I have now has had the deck replaced at least once already. I just want to do this one time. I'm pretty intimidated by this project as it is, and the thought of doing my own fiberglassing is pretty scary as I have zero experience and don't even know where to start. The fiberglass board seems like a simpler installation since it's completely waterproof throughout and could be just screwed down and done. I'm all for an inexpensive route, but if it takes a freaking ton of work, well, a little extra dough doesn't sound to bad, especially if it'll be there forever. Know what I mean. If I had someone to help me through the fiberglassing process, I might do wood, but I'm on my own. I'd have a hard time feeling confident with my own work having never done it before. Anywho, I'm just getting started learning about the subject and haven't priced anything so I haven't settled on what I want to do. Thanks.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

check out the forum list currently...

there is a good discussion about alternatives going on..

infact, one in which I have sent in a request for pricing, and tonight am going to fill out a quote request for my deck layout....

BigBoatinOkie

Also, Bond-O, it's hard for me to see how wood can be the best if i'm on my second rotted floor. I really don't mean to bore the pros with the same old questions, but it's a brand new question to me. Some folks just like to say something is the best because it has worked for them and don't like to acknowledge that there might be something better even though they have no experience with it. I'm in no way saying that you are that way, that's just what I try to avoid by asking questions on this forum. I'm trying to explore alternative ways of doing things and get varying opinions on newer products and so on. I truly value the opinion of anyone who has experience in this area, but your replies can sometimes come off as condescending. I don't like to be told that I'm on a subject that's been beat to death. Now i'f you'd like to tell me about those "many" factors that makes wood the best, then that would be constructive, or even a link or something. I'm not trying to be a punk, your reply just sounded like i'm bothering you by asking a novice question. Anyway, it's all good, sorry about the rant, and thanks for any constructive comments from everyone. This boat stuff has been extremely frustrating and fun at the same time and this forum has helped me in so many ways thus far. It's truly an awesome tool. Just gotta get through this deck repair.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

But there are plenty of non rotting materials out there. There just aren't any cheap ones suited for marine use. Plastic deck planks are too floppy and heavy, plastic lumber is too flexible and fiberglass won't stick to it, metal is ok but more expensive and may cause cracking in a fiberglass hull (different rates of flexure).

If you still want non rotting stiff decking, check out nida-core. Plastic honeycomb, never rots. It's what the pros use.
Erik

So why is it the pros use nida-core???? because we all know that a wood deck in a boat is going to rot. How much money do you figure is invested in a 3/4" decent quality plywood floor including all materials and time required to "do it properly" ??? And we are not even taking into account needed skills and knowledge to "do it proper". One little short cut or one little crack and rot is on. We already have proof in hand that wood just don't last. And there is no way to guarantee that your wood floor will not rot. None because as long as you are using wood there is the chance that the wood will rot. No wood, no rot. Like trying to build a fireproof house out of wood by treating the wood with fire retardant, it is still gonna burn.
So how cheap is it really to use wood again and again???
The mind set that wood is the only alternative for boat decks sounds like the same that was said about boat hull materials 50 years ago.
"Fiberglass?? Fiberglass??? Aluminum??? Aluminum??? the only economical and proper way to build a recreational boat is with wood"
And what is this "sagging" referenced? I am talking about extruded vinyl, pvc and aluminum planks that are generally made to span up to 24" or more.
Not that composite and recycled plastic and wood crap from Home Depot or Lowes.
Weight is also generally half of wood and even more so if that wood is wrapped in fiberglass.

Just as an example of costs, that lockdry aluminum decking runs around $7 per square foot.
I did my 8 foot x 21 foot pontoon for $1200. That was five years ago and there are more choices now that cost less. I also got the deck boards in 21 foot lengths so there are no seams front to back and all water that ends up in between the boards has to run out the bow or the stern end. No water gets thru to the underside.

To each his own, but to install a wood floor "the proper way" is merely an old school temporary fix and not the solution.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most new boats use one of two methods for a floor, either plywood that is glassed over, or a molded fiberglass liner that is dropped in. The plywood used is a PT product that wasn't really used around 30 years ago when these rotted boats were made, but can be purchased easily. I see very few that use any of the plywood substitutes, the main reason is cost, only some high end and custom boats get made with them.

When done correctly plywood can last a very long time, longer than most people will ever own the boat they rebuild, its also cheap, easy to work with and can be picked up any day of the week. The other products that can be used are more difficult to find, can be more difficult to work with and cost far more, but they can work very well.

What it comes down to is that you (as in the normal guy doing this) are rebuilding a boat of little value that may only be used for a few years, so does it make sense to use very expensive products that may be more difficult to use, or go with plywood when both products will last at least 10 plus years with no issues.

After I say this I must admit I used a honeycomb product as a floor in jet boat and so is the deck on my dock.

What's nice is that each person is free to use whatever product they want to.

Bondo

Staff member

Also, Bond-O, it's hard for me to see how wood can be the best if i'm on my second rotted floor. I really don't mean to bore the pros with the same old questions, but it's a brand new question to me. Some folks just like to say something is the best because it has worked for them and don't like to acknowledge that there might be something better even though they have no experience with it. I'm in no way saying that you are that way, that's just what I try to avoid by asking questions on this forum. I'm trying to explore alternative ways of doing things and get varying opinions on newer products and so on. I truly value the opinion of anyone who has experience in this area, but your replies can sometimes come off as condescending. I don't like to be told that I'm on a subject that's been beat to death. Now i'f you'd like to tell me about those "many" factors that makes wood the best, then that would be constructive, or even a link or something. I'm not trying to be a punk, your reply just sounded like i'm bothering you by asking a novice question. Anyway, it's all good, sorry about the rant, and thanks for any constructive comments from everyone. This boat stuff has been extremely frustrating and fun at the same time and this forum has helped me in so many ways thus far. It's truly an awesome tool. Just gotta get through this deck repair.

Ayuh,.... I guess you fellas are right,... I'm sorry you don't like my style,...
You don't get to my post count with long wordy replies, single digit typing...

I guess I should have just said Click Here....

I won't bother you anymore,... I've already said it All in that link,....

Btw,.... Eric,.. Nice explanation,...;) Much more eloquent than myself.....:redface:

BigBoatinOkie

It's all good bond-o, you aint bothering me. I was just frustrated because I had already been using the search feature and wasn't getting my questions answered instantly. Haha, you know we gotta get an instant answer to every question. :D Plus us Oklahomans are used to long drawn out thorough ansewres including every little detail imaginable, and you Yanks have a little different style. I know you know your stuff

BigBoatinOkie

When done correctly plywood can last a very long time, longer than most people will ever own the boat they rebuild, its also cheap, easy to work with and can be picked up any day of the week. The other products that can be used are more difficult to find, can be more difficult to work with and cost far more, but they can work very well.

I gotta tell ya, as someone without decking experience, plywood looks like the hardest thing to work with. Cheapest for sure, but looks like it's the most involved process of anything i've seen so far, and little tolerance for error. Maybe I've got the wrong idea. :confused:

The amount of work and time is also a factor for me as I don't have an indoor place to work on the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

I gotta tell ya, as someone without decking experience, plywood looks like the hardest thing to work with. Cheapest for sure, but looks like it's the most involved process of anything i've seen so far, and little tolerance for error. Maybe I've got the wrong idea.

Ayuh,.... R e a d,.... Grasshoppa,... R e a d...

Errors are corrected with Peanut Butter....;)

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are other options but they will get expensive quickly. I attached a photo of some samples that I got a work a couple of months back. They are of a product from the Netherlands called Parabeam, which is a multilayered fiberglass panel. It expands when wetted out, but it can also be ordered as a 4' x 8' sheet. I never checked on pricing, but I'm sure its not cheep.
In the studio that I work in, we maintain a pretty expansive materials library and are pretty tied into composites industry so I've looked at a number of these options myself... one thing that you could consider would a closed cell aluminum honey comb with Alpolic on either side. If you want, I can track down some photos on monday and see whether I can come up with a contact for purchase/ tech info.
The advantage to going with something like the Parabeam would be weight... I'm telling you, this stuff defies physics, it is super light and super strong!

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

[qoute] I gotta tell ya, as someone without decking experience,

I gotta tell ya, as someone that has worked with almost every product available, that plywood is very easy to work with and that each of the substitutes have their own limits or characteristics that need to be taken into account when using them, none are perfect.

jonesg

Admiral

my deck is molded glass, glass has to sit on something unless its cored, mine sits on injected foam. By itself the glass deck is not rigid enough.

Wood is always a safe bet, if it comes out wrong just pull it out and re-do.

Glassin just takes a bit of practice, so practice on smaller projects then do the real work in sections. Watch some of the videos on youtube, theres lots of instructional vids.

12 part tutorial ,walks you through most of the issues. ( not a boat deck)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzL2A7noo28

Boat hull glass job,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aexxZdv780o&feature=related

lots to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear... three wetting out glass&v=aexxZdv780o&page=2

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've redecked a half dozen boats with wood and never had to worry about a "soft" aka "rotted" deck. Keep them out of the rain once you get it right and it will last forever.

BigBoatinOkie

Sweet. Great responses guys. Thanks a million. :) I think I might try my hand at the glassed plywood since so many feel so good about using it. You know how it is the first time you do something, afraid to scew it up. Heck if I can rebuild a house from the studs out all by my lonesome, I can dang sure put a floor in a boat eh. Gotta sack up and do it.;) In the mean time, if anyone hears about the perfect product, give me a holler.