HELP!!! stocking gas to my boat

xxSHOGUNxx

Recruit
I am doing reseach for my boss... here it goes

He has a boat and would like to get a barrel to fill up with gas so he doesnt have to go to the dock and pay extra. He is looking for a 55 gal. with pump and wheels... possible?

From my research you cannot use plastic barrel due to static electricity content. So, is there such a thing?... 55gal. with pump and wheels?

Have you guys thought of doing this just to save gas prices?

Thanks for all your help

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: HELP!!! stocking gas to my boat

at most marina's they will not allow you to do that as it violates epa regs. they do make fuel caddys that you can find at boat supply retailers the largest I have seen is 20 gallons and they are very pricey if you don't use a very large amount of fuel the savings aren't worth the cost of the caddy.

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is something called a gas buddy, I think they are around 25 to 30 gallons and in the summer they even sell them at Lowe's. You just fill them like any other plastic gas can and they have a gravity feed nozzle but can be fitted with a hand crank pump. They have wheels too. They probably sell them here on iboats as well.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is he looking for something to keep on the boat or at home? He can look into a pump in the back of his pick-up. I guess they can have gas. The ones I see around here have diesel in them.

xxSHOGUNxx

Recruit

he has a yatch which holds 400 gallons. I think thats why he wants the to buy it in big barrels like 55 gallon steel. He said he saw a barrel with wheels.

I personally think the best idea is have a pick up truck and have a pump with long hose and pump it from there.

still looking for advice but yeah the gas buddy is a good idea not for him though

thanks again

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

he has a yatch which holds 400 gallons. I think thats why he wants the to buy it in big barrels like 55 gallon steel. He said he saw a barrel with wheels.

I personally think the best idea is have a pick up truck and have a pump with long hose and pump it from there.

still looking for advice but yeah the gas buddy is a good idea not for him though

thanks again

400 gallon yatch and looking for 55 gallons barrell with wheels....lol Sounds like a pain in the arse....

good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do you realize how heavy that would be to move around?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Let's say a gal. of gas weighs about 6 lbs. He/you would be looking at 330 lbs - plus the barrel - plus whatever wheel/dolly thing its on. Call it 400 lbs.!!!! That's a lot of weight to handle.

Personally, I use 6 gal. containers, but I've got a 40 gal tank. It's enough of a PITA to do that! But I do save .60-.70/gal. over the marina price.

wtxpatrick

Seaman Apprentice

You might try calling and checking with a bulk fuel distributor. A 400 gallon sale ought to get him a price break, delivered to the dock. If a drum of gas tips over, it then a loose cannon on deck, knock a hole in it and poof,, there goes the boat. Sounds kinda dangerous to do that.

You might try calling and checking with a bulk fuel distributor.

you can save a lot! cause you dont have to pay a certain tax...i think its road useage tax thats in every gallon we purchase for our cars.

you find a bulk dist. and have them fill you up right at home.
(a friend of mine does this and he saves around 50 cents per gal.)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I am doing reseach for my boss... here it goes

He has a boat and would like to get a barrel to fill up with gas so he doesnt have to go to the dock and pay extra. He is looking for a 55 gal. with pump and wheels... possible?

From my research you cannot use plastic barrel due to static electricity content. So, is there such a thing?... 55gal. with pump and wheels?

Have you guys thought of doing this just to save gas prices?

Thanks for all your help

You work for a guy who owns a Yacht that holds 400 gals of fuel & he wants to save a few bucks buy luggin around 55 gal barrells :confused:
I can only imagian the Christmas bonus you're looking forward to :(

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure how cost efficient having gas delivered to his boat would be. I say this only because every spring we have diesel delivered to the farm and this last spring we had 190 gallons delivered at a cost of $810.00. Thats $4.25 per gallon for farm diesel. Now i realize gas was a little more this spring than it is now and I'm talking diesel instead of regular but when you figure in the cost of the delivery charge over the cost at the marina is there really a big savings? Now i have only purchased gas at a marina once or twice and that was years ago so i don't remember the cost difference between the gas station versus the marina. Just my 2 cents.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

thanks again

how is the truck getting home?:eek:

Bifflefan

Commander

he has a yatch which holds 400 gallons. I think thats why he wants the to buy it in big barrels like 55 gallon steel.

Tell him if he can afford the Yacht, he can afford the gas.

55 gals gas = 385 lbs
can = 30 lbs???
pump, wheels and handles = what another 30 lbs
That 445 lbs to be schlepping down to the boat every trip. Not mention, how are you going to get it there? Put it in the bed of the pick-up? I dont think so. Trailer? still have to get it out and down to the boat.
A gas buddy is hard enough and its half the size.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Have you ever tried moving a 55 gallon drum filled with gasoline? As mentioned, it's about 400lbs and even on wheels it is going to be a huge pain.

What if you have to go down a ramp to get to the boat...do you want to be the one trying to hold onto that 400lb barrel of highly explosive liquid? haha..not me!

Besides, I think you need to check with your local state laws as to what types of containers you can transport fuel in these quantities. Running a 400ft hose down from a truck tank to the boat to fill it up might require some sort of license. I know if does up here.

If he really wants to save on gas, aside from the bulk delivery option, I'd say your best bet would be a pickup truck with a bunch of 6 gallon gerry cans. at least that way it will be manageable and legal.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Have you ever tried moving a 55 gallon drum filled with gasoline? As mentioned, it's about 400lbs and even on wheels it is going to be a huge pain.

What if you have to go down a ramp to get to the boat...do you want to be the one trying to hold onto that 400lb barrel of highly explosive liquid? haha..not me!

Besides, I think you need to check with your local state laws as to what types of containers you can transport fuel in these quantities. Running a 400ft hose down from a truck tank to the boat to fill it up might require some sort of license. I know if does up here.

If he really wants to save on gas, aside from the bulk delivery option, I'd say your best bet would be a pickup truck with a bunch of 6 gallon gerry cans. at least that way it will be manageable and legal.

I think youd need a REALLY big pickup truck & 60 Jerry cans is not manageable in my opinion...

Been holding back but just have to say it..

He's your boss..
YOU are researching HIS delemia? guess you dont need common sense, just a bank roll to have a YACHT
Owns a Yacht..not a boat as some of us know them...a YACHT
He can afford upkeep, marina fees, and all that goes along with owning such a vessel..
But wants to jerry rig a way to save a few pennies on fuel???

Oh and if there was a way to get a drum of fuel to his yact..I hardly see HIM huffin & puffin it there...I'd guess that he'd give you the honor of handleing such mundane tasks for him as well...What a blankity blank

Jeep Man

Commander

Shogun, you didn't say where your from, and it this case it may make a difference. In these parts, you couldn't carry that much fuel in a pick-up without a certification and a special license, as well as inspections and warning labels. There is, however, tanks that can be fitted into pick-ups with hose and pump. Typically they are used for farm and heavy equipment re-fuelling in the field.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I think youd need a REALLY big pickup truck & 60 Jerry cans is not manageable in my opinion...

Been holding back but just have to say it..

He's your boss..
YOU are researching HIS delemia? guess you dont need common sense, just a bank roll to have a YACHT
Owns a Yacht..not a boat as some of us know them...a YACHT
He can afford upkeep, marina fees, and all that goes along with owning such a vessel..
But wants to jerry rig a way to save a few pennies on fuel???

Oh and if there was a way to get a drum of fuel to his yact..I hardly see HIM huffin & puffin it there...I'd guess that he'd give you the honor of handleing such mundane tasks for him as well...What a blankity blank

lol.. I meant that the 6 gallon jugs would be manageable and easy to transport.. I guess I failed to mention it would take 6 trips with 12 jugs of gas to fill the boat!

As for the 55gal drums..good luck with that, he'd need to hire 3 guys to load/unload the things everytime he needed a fill up. That or get a mobile crane!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.morsemfgco.com/products/drum-dollies.htm

These guys make just about anything for moving drums. I am not sure about all the regs on transporting that amount of fuel, but what I do know from personal experience on moving full drums is this:

They are really , really heavy , even when filled with a light fuel. The drums I dealt with had heavy liquid in them, and weighed a bit more. Getting them anywhere (if by hand) required a drum dolly which had a latch on the top to grab the rim of said drum as one tilted back with all the force possible from 1 man. Then a secondary set of wheels came into play as it rested in the tilted back position. If it was on a level, hard, even surface they moved rather easily. Introduce just 1 chunk of dirt, gravel, etc. they were a bear.

I personally had one get away from me, rocked forward and the drum came off the latch. The 2 inch bung popped out from the inpact when it hit the ground, the contents spilled on the nice new concrete parking lot (our customers lot) Lost a $1300 barrel of material, the cost of cleanup ($1500) and gained a very sore body from the wrenching trying to save it.

I would not want to think about the cleanup cost in a similar event on a dock...with fuel....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

sounds to me like ole boy needs to sell the yacht and get a boat he can afford
btw I trailer my "yacht" but if I were to wet slip it I'd have a buddy meet me at a ramp in my truck with a 100 gal tank in the back