Are my engine Mounts OK?

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was working on my Mercruiser 3,0l today and discovered that by pulling and pushing (sideways) on the top of the engine, I could rock it maybe 1/2 inch (this with the exhaust system off).

Is this acceptable for the engine mounts and what should I look for to see if the mounts are still in good condition?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Are my engine Mounts OK?

Ayuh,... If the motor is rocking a 1/2",....

Where, Exactly is the Slop,..??

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well nothing is actually loose. I guess the 1/2" movement at the top of the engine is due to the flexibility of the mountings, isnt it? Given that the top of the rocker cover is a good foot above the mounts, I would have thought that the small amount of movement in the mounts is due to their inherant flexibility.

I just thought Id ask as now I have the exhaust off, it would be easier to replace them than later, when its back on.

Are the mounts rubber or metal springs?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

How hard are you pulling or pushing to "rock" the engine? Is there any noises (clunks) or sudden stops when engine is moved? I have never had one where I can just reach in and move the engine back and forth by hand...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I have never had one where I can just reach in and move the engine back and forth by hand...

It's a four banger, the Volvo four banger in my 63' doesn't have engine mounts in the front of the block. It's bolted to the transom only, that was a surprise.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe mounts not broken, just warn a bit, good time to replace them. The test for motor mounts on a car is to put foot on brakes and shift from forward to reverse and back while watching for engine movement, but you can't do that now with the manifolds off, so if it was mine, I'd replace them. How much can these things cost, how many are there? I'm an outboard guy so not so familiar with your setup. Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The test for motor mounts on a car is to put foot on brakes and shift from forward to reverse and back while watching for engine movement, but you can't do that now with the manifolds off,

You couldn't do it with the manifold on either, ever seen brakes on a boat ????????

To the original poster, is the movement at the rear mounts or the front mount. If the rear mounts are moving that far, you need to pull the engine and replace them. IF it's the front mount, it may be defective, or you just putting a lot of pressure on it.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ive checked again today and the 1/2 inch I was talking about was when I was prying the old exhaust manifiold off the studs with a wooden pole.

When I try to rock the engine by pushing at the top from side to side, the most I can move it is maybe 1/8 " max, and Im a strong bloke.

I assume the engine mounts are good?

Bondo

Staff member

I assume the engine mounts are good?

Ayuh,... Onward to the Alignment,.....

Btw,... The Manuals in the Adults Only section have Pictures,...that'll answer your other questions,...;)