flywheel magnets

banhenry

Cadet
I have a 130 johnson looper 1998 and I would like to know if my flywheel has replaceable magnets.

marvxyz1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: flywheel magnets

I'd check on e-bay for a flywheel with magnets

banhenry

Cadet

I?m just getting started trouble shooting an ignition problem. All of a sudden just one cylinder is firing (and very dimly).

I have a manual. It says that 90 deg. Blocks have magnets that are not replaceable (you must buy the whole flywheel). I am pretty sure now that I have a 90 deg. Block. (J130TXAC is the engine model) and I doubt that it is a magnet problem.

So far I have ruled out the kill wire (black and yellow).

I am going to start with a new powerpack and go from there.

If it is not that I will have to brush up on multimeter stuff which I hate.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Dealer can order the magnets ... they are epoxied in place ... watch for correct orientation ... there's a bevel on one corner.

That said, there is almost never a need to replace them ... they never loose their magnetism unless exposed to a nuclear blast.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

been a while ,but I replaced many up until 1999 when I lef the business,if you have the old magnets,get some JB weld,I believe I used a 3/8 bolt as my spacer,be sure to clean both surfaces ,JB works great,the OMC replacements came with epoxy which looked exactly like JB

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Dealer can order the magnets ... they are epoxied in place ... watch for correct orientation ... there's a bevel on one corner.

That said, there is almost never a need to replace them ... they never loose their magnetism unless exposed to a nuclear blast.

Wow didn't know the dealer could order magnets, they don't show up on the parts list, is this some sort of dealer only secret?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

No secret... The epoxy kit to reattach a loose one is 431929 and the kit with replacement magnet and epoxy is 584304. These kits are also offered thru Promarine under parts numbers 1929 and 4304. I doubt you have a magnet problem, I would go to CDI's website and download the troubleshooting pdf for OMC engine and test stator before I bought a pack.