Fiberglass Bow Cover for Bow Rider

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Cadet
Good Morning

Thinking about having a reinforced fiberglass bow cover made for our 2008 Bayliner 195 Discovery. The cover would be perimetered with a tough rubber seal and fit snugly (and precisely) inside the bow just below the rail. It would be secured--from popping off--by bungi corded straps attached to the underside of the cover and the hull of the boat.

My thought was that almost all of the water from a wave over the bow would be deflected over the side by the cover to help avoid a swamped engine/boat.

I understand that the cover is no substitute for common sense and experience. Informed (wx forecast-local knowledge-boat limitations/equipment) good seamanship is the only way to go...but...

Just thought to try this out as better alternative to the suggested (inflatable tube supporting a snap on fabric bow cover) method of avoiding taking water over the bow should that misfortune somehow occur.

Has anyone attempted something like this? Other than buying a cuddy...

Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Thanks

explorer1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fiberglass Bow Cover for Bow Rider

Thinking about having a reinforced fiberglass bow cover made for our 2008 Bayliner 195 Discovery.

Ayuh,... It shouldn't co$t more than a few Thou$and to have built....

Generally,... If you stuff the bow bad enough to have Water over the bow,...
You've already got Bigger problems than a hard cover will fix...
This Hard cover would do no more good than a supported soft cover would...

a70eliminator

Captain

A canvas bow cover should deflect spash just as well, plus simply unsnap roll up an stow.
I've been wanting a snap on bow cover for my bow rider.

Your Idea does sound like a pretty cool project, sorta like one of those conertible pickup bed tops.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've thought about doing the same thing. Build a mold; make the cover, rubber seal around the bottom and install threaded inserts to bolt it to the boat. It would be like a convertible small cuddy for the grand kids. But a canvas cover would most likely be cheaper.

haulnazz15

Captain

A canvas snap-on cover will do 98% of the job that the hard tonneau would do. Having a support rod in the middle like many morring covers do would be even better. The water should roll right off over the gunwhales. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like a cool idea. I'm thinking a pickup truck fiberglass cap for the back would be a good start. Just trim it down to fit the bow area.

explorer1

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for the replies/suggestions

Understand the simplicity/stowability of the canvas approach, but remain unconvinced it would afford the advantage (strength) of the hard cover.

Appreciate the ideas given. I'll check with some of the local glassing shops to see if and how$much... Also will scout the tonneau truck covers...

Thanks again

Explorer1

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I'd make it myself if I was you look at the resto section you'll find all you need to know.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I too once thought perhaps the idea of having the bow covered might afford some protection til the day I inadvertently stuffed the nose of our 17 foot SeaRay into a swell in Lake Ontario.

The bow section tonneau cover was snapped on tight all the way around and I can still vividly recall watching in combined fascination and horror as the water that was scooped by the bow rolled across the cover towards me then travelled up and over the windshield without even the slightest hesitation. It was probably at least 60-80 gallons - enough to be emerald green and opaque.

Scared me pretty good and we were only traveling at displacement speed -- certainly below a full plane.

Although I do still think having a hard cover would be a neat idea, I'd be looking for it more as a wind break in the cooler part of the season when no one wants to ride up front or as a better waterproof mooring cover than anything that's going to keep serious water out while underway.

If there's enough water to come over the bow, the cover becomes just a very efficient way to deliver it all into your lap.

kregars

Cadet

explorer1,

I believe what your looking for is referred to as a 'Dodger'. Normally you'd see them on blow boats or center consoles to provide some shade/relieve from the sun, or passing shower.

As it was noted, if your stuffing your bow something is a bit more than wrong...but a dodger will generally shed the water of spray that happens to get over the railing.

explorer1

Cadet

I too once thought perhaps the idea of having the bow covered might afford some protection til the day I inadvertently stuffed the nose of our 17 foot SeaRay into a swell in Lake Ontario.

The bow section tonneau cover was snapped on tight all the way around and I can still vividly recall watching in combined fascination and horror as the water that was scooped by the bow rolled across the cover towards me then travelled up and over the windshield without even the slightest hesitation. It was probably at least 60-80 gallons - enough to be emerald green and opaque.

Scared me pretty good and we were only traveling at displacement speed -- certainly below a full plane.

Although I do still think having a hard cover would be a neat idea, I'd be looking for it more as a wind break in the cooler part of the season when no one wants to ride up front or as a better waterproof mooring cover than anything that's going to keep serious water out while underway.

If there's enough water to come over the bow, the cover becomes just a very efficient way to deliver it all into your lap.

It would appear that the advantage of the proposed hard bow cover is limited by the degree to which one "stuffs" the bow. Your account about "over the windshield" stuffing delivery is well taken.

Many, many years ago I worked on small fishing boats off the New England coast. I can recall cod fishing in a stormy November Atlantic and wondering at times how much "stuffing" the 65 footer could take before we became fish food. :)

So...nothing takes the place of good seamanship and common sense. Still, I'll press on with the hard cover concept as I believe it will offer some advantage in minimizing water in the 195's un-scuppered interior.

Again thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Explorer1

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek:

Wowza. That would not give me a comfortable feeling either.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call me an opportunist.... but if I was stuffing the front of my bow into swells and getting that much splash and water.... I'd want at least 2 cute girls with white t-shirts up there....

Maybe 2 on the main deck to catch the extra splash....

........... on a serious note.... I like the idea myself... but with that expense, why not make a PT wooden one. With an aluminum leg in the middle to the bow deck, maybe a couple short ones for supprt... cover it with canvas or naugahyde (vinyl?) .... would save a ton of cash, and have the same effect.... plywood is pretty each ro curve with a router and smooth the edges...

Pros and cons for each method I guess... Maybe fasten a seat up on the top of that cover and threaten to use it for punishing any misbehaving passengers, kind of like "dunking the witches" in Salam long ago...

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had this thought for years too. Obviously there are many things that motivate different people to have this thought. Stuffing the bow was not one of the things I ever considered. For me it was about making the season last a bit longer and possibly having a place to get out of the weather or possibly use the bow area to sleep/camp.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

To avoid the "over the windshield" effect you could add deflectors--this would work on fiberglass/plywood but not canvas.
Get a $500 fixed bow boat from craigslist/junkyard and cut its bow deck off. Sell the remaining hull as a bow rider project boat.
The canvas cover to avoid "stuffing the bow" is to be added if you find yourself out in weather when you shouldn't be there. Seems that adding a solid one is so that you can go out when you shouldn't. If you are stuffing the bow enough to breach a canvas cover, you need to stay home. With either method, if the stuffing risk is great, put your money into 2 more bilge pumps

Vanteer

Recruit

So, now it is March 2011. I have been thinking about how to best protect the open bow when the weather turns bad. What did you end up doing?

Vanteer

Status
Not open for further replies.