I just got a 1968 Hydrocycle

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
The owner says it's a 1968. Not confirmed yet. Does anyone know anything about these boats. It's in average condition. Needs work but a fun looking boat once fixed up. and it's rated for a 35hp!

Attachments

• IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sales Brochure.jpg
    Sales Brochure.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: I just got a 1968 Hydrocycle

From the photos it looks about the right year, looks like it would be a blast to have fun with, and it is not a waverunner because of the outboard engine so it would not be outlawed on lakes that they are. Talk about in your face with that. I would love to take it on one of those lakes. Thats the rebel in me. Good luck with it and have a ball.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There were a few of those in Rockport a few years ago at Huck's Marine... I wonder if that's one of them?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There were a few of those in Rockport a few years ago at Huck's Marine... I wonder if that's one of them?

Really? Hmmm... Rockport is pretty close to here. I'll ask the previous owner.

I'd like to find out more about them if I could. Sure looks like it'll be fun once it's up and running...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

From the photos it looks about the right year, looks like it would be a blast to have fun with, and it is not a waverunner because of the outboard engine so it would not be outlawed on lakes that they are. Talk about in your face with that. I would love to take it on one of those lakes. Thats the rebel in me. Good luck with it and have a ball.

depends, local law in my area defines a PWC not by how it is propelled but by how you sit on it. If you straddle a seat with no gunwall, its a PWC. I'm guessing most states have similar wording...

Minnesota DNR
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT
A personal watercraft is defined by law as a motorboat powered by an inboard motor powering a jet pump or by an outboard or propeller driven motor and is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on the craft, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside a motorboat.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It doesn't really matter to me as the river I'm on has no restrictions... Or any lawful presence for that matter. Ok, they patrol the river about once every 5 years or so...

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

35 hp on that thing would be nuts!!

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet Ride, Dont know what river you are talking about, but I am on the Ottawa River (Rockland), hope to see on that thing this summer! Feel free to jump my wake!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The original jet flea!....Really cool!
I had no idea they made them back in those days.:eek:

jbjennings

Captain

Steve,
You MUST send a pic of you riding that goofy thing around your river, preferably one of you busting your rear on a tight turn!:eek::D:D
I need to borrow that thing to go back and forth to my duckblind. A little camo and I'd be the envy of the bayou!:p
I'm going to get myself one of those if I can find one. My bigtwin 25 would fit it nicely. You wouldn't even need electric start since it's so close.:rolleyes:
Hope to see it in action soon,
JBJ

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

can you say " SHORT SAFETY LANYARD KILL SWITCH"???
It does look fun until it flips over and someone looses a foot:eek: right after you say "Hey! Watch this"!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

can you say " SHORT SAFETY LANYARD KILL SWITCH"???
It does look fun until it flips over and someone looses a foot:eek: right after you say "Hey! Watch this"!

Oh yeah. That will be one of the first things to go on it. It also originally had a dead man's throttle on the twist grip but it is not there now and it uses a normal remote throttle which I'm not that keen on...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

This could be me! But it sure doesn't look good for that 20hp Johnson... Would over rev.

Attachments

• Wave riding.jpg
    Wave riding.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Wave riding2.jpg
    Wave riding2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's gonna be a long time until Spring for you!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yeah, no kidding... There's a bit of snow on the ground now :( But the water is still open... The last boat is still in the water...

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

snow is gone, ahaha, with all the rain, noticed a few fisherman on the Outaouais again today... no one wakeboarding tho!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Come up to Chelsea... We have snow on the ground :( Look at the original pics.