cabin heater 1988 sea ray 268

vamanos

Seaman
Are there special operating instructions for the cabin heater? Definetly cannot get heat by setting the thermostat at the warmest. Thanks folks.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: cabin heater 1988 sea ray 268

Heres a question, is it an electrical/baseboard type or a hot water from the engine type of heater?

vamanos

Seaman

I really don't know. I have not seen anything that I know of resembling a baseboard heater. My guess is then a hot water heater from the engine.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Is this boat new to you are has the heater now failed to heat?

If someone had installed a heater using engine water then check in the engine bay for water hoses to and from the engine going forward, often a valve is installed to shut off water flow during warmer weather to prevent cabin heating. make sure any valves are open, if equiped with ball type 1/4 turn the handle should be in line with the hose to indicate flow. Round or T handle may be a gate valve, open CCW.

Hopefully your motor is freshwater cooled, it can be a pain to winterize a raw water system with a heater installed, the heater is often NOT drained/flushed well enough and can freeze.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I guess that if your boats in the water youre going to have to fire it up and run it till its warm to get some heat out of it.
rob

vamanos

Seaman

The boat is new to me. It's in the water and will be for the Winter. My guess is that it won't freeze being on a lake that doesn't freeze. I'll look for water hoses. Is the engine heated water component in the cabin factory OEM or after market or is it hard to say? Where would the baseboard heater be located or more speciffically, is it visible?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Most likely it runs off of the engines hot water as a baseboard would use about 1500 watts to run.
as well you probably have a hot water tank, this probably shares the same hoses to a point, into the hot water tank then the heater then returns to the engine.

vamanos

Seaman

I don't think that it has a water tank, but I believe that it has a hot water heating element that water passes over but does not store. Is that possible?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Most likely a small square unit, 5 gallon+-, It can be heated with water from the engine or on shore power 110ac.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You are describing a 'Point of Use' electric water heater for a sink or shower. A small electric element is turned on when water flow is sensed, very quick to heat and shuts off immediately when flow is turned off. NO storage needed, no hot water tank.

Cabin heaters may have been installed by a high end boat manufacturer but most are dealer installed locally at point of sale. They tap into the engines cooling system for hot water to supply the heater(s), often use shut off valve so no heat delivered during warmer weather.

Find the valves on or near the engine and turn them ON. Heat only works with the engine running.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you say you have a thermostat,is it similar to one like you have on the wall at home? if that is the case it is possible you have a diesel heater such as a Wallas or Webasto and it needs fuel or something is not working with the ignitor

45Auto

Commander

Does the boat have a marine air conditioner on it? That's the only reason I know of that you would have a thermostat on the boat. My 1987 Sea Ray has a marine air conditioner which also functions as a heat exchanger to provide warm air. If that's the case then your air conditioner has to be running to provide warm air.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may be much simpler than expected -- I have a 1989 SR 300 Sundancer and to operate the cabin heat you must 1) turn on the air conditioning system and 2) pull a switch down at shin-level near the dinette. This switches the AC to heat mode. Thermostat control is the same one used by the AC system.

Works VERY well in spring \ fall but I wouldn't expect much in winter (since it circulates fresh water which will be very cold).

It's fine to run the AC system continuously - and it may actually help prevent freezing. You should carefully consider winterization of other components if you keep it in a cold climate.

Hope this helps.

Bondo

Staff member

It's in the water and will be for the Winter. My guess is that it won't freeze being on a lake that doesn't freeze.

Ayuh,.... What lake,..?? Where,..??

Lake Ontario don't completely Freeze either, but it still gets to -40? around here...

vamanos

Seaman

The boat is in the water on Lake Travis Texas. The water is warmer than the air on cold days.

Thanks for the information regarding the lever pull down. I'll check it out today and let the readers know.

And the remarks about the heating element being on demand is in line with what I was told when I bought the boat.

I believe that I have seen a water line and wondered what it was for. That would be great if it is for the heater.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

The switch is a pull-out, not a pull-down, thingy. Silver in color on a brass shaft. It will likely be low in the cabin, near the AC unit (which is typically under the dinette seat). There should also be a small heat exchange unit with thin aluminum fins, etc. Mine is also under the dinete.

The other option is -- if you have shore power -- to use a small fan\heater. I have done so when on the boat but NEVER unattended. Maybe if you purchase a marine unit it would be safe.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The boat is in the water on Lake Travis Texas. The water is warmer than the air on cold days.

Thanks for the information regarding the lever pull down. I'll check it out today and let the readers know.

And the remarks about the heating element being on demand is in line with what I was told when I bought the boat.

I believe that I have seen a water line and wondered what it was for. That would be great if it is for the heater.

Assuming your engine uses lake water for cooling purposes and that same water is in the waterline you mention..................

If your area ever gets freeze warnings, your waterlines are in jeopardy of freeze damage. Just like outside waterlines at your house would be.
Being on a lake that never freezes will not help the waterlines full of lake water.
You might want to see what it takes to drain the water in those lines. There might be a spigot, tee or plug up near the engine.

vamanos

Seaman

No pull out piece or lever. The owners manual says that you just put the thermostat on the "warmer" selection and it will work. I didn't get warm at all. Do you think it needs hot water from the engine or the water heater?

45Auto

Commander

What manual are you looking in for the instructions? What does it say on the cover?

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

In any event, in cold weather. just use that water under the ice that don't freeze . Put it in your lines when you are away.:D:D:D sorry boys just couldn't resist.