need help fast....broke only key off in ignition 70 Evinrude

gride830

Cadet
have a 18 foot duracraft(1990) converted to a duck boat....Broke the key clean off in the ignition in the remote throttle unit.....if I had another key, i would just dig it out and be on my way but i dont....Its right in the middle of duck season also....Have no idea what next step i need to take.....im a car mechanic so i would think maybe take out the ignition switch and buy a whole new one with keys...thanks john

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help fast....broke only key off in ignition

This is the non-repair section. Tell us what motor you have and I'll gladly move this thread to the appropriate area.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is a brass key, use a soldering gun with a bleb of solder on the tip and let the solder harden on the key and gun tip--then just pull out the key

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Temporarily use a Flat Blade screwdriver to turn the ignition switch. I had to do this in a Ford Probe I had back in the day when i broke of the key while having a little fun with a x-girlfriend..

Than after Duck Season is over, replace the switch in the control center.

gride830

Cadet

its an evinrude 70hp...yeah i can still start and shutoff engine with a screwdriver(had to for the rest of the day) but with one problem...the choke....impossible to get it to turn without engaging choke...its touchy....and the motor floods fast...gonna try and replace whole ignition switch...how much am i looking at?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help fast....broke only key off in ignition 70 Evinrude

OEM ignition switch 0508180 lists for 32.99.

If your key or the switch has a number on it, you can get a replacement key for around $5.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

like ezeke said,a new switch is in order if u cant get the old key out,if u can get it out,there should be a number on the key,or if u get a magnifier,the switch sometimes has the number on the plastic on outer ring of the switch weher the key goes in,as for the flooding,you might want to disconnect the purple/white wire ,its a quick disconnect connector,from the primer,that will stop the power to choke,it will work until season is over and you can pull the control box apart

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to any hardware store in town and buy a used dental pick. These have sharp, curved points that you can snag the broken bit and pull it free. The letter code on the other half of the key can be taken to your local Johnny/Rude dealer and he will provide you with a key. Then go to Lowes and have them cut you a few more. Just talk to someone older than 18 in that dept.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree - get the rest of the key out and buy a new one at your local BRP/OMC dealer. Bring them the key code off of the switch and you are in business.

The last one I bought, cost me six bucks. I ordered two, just so I wouldn't have to deal with a "pimply face kid at Lowes!"

???

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a small needle nose pliers and ground most of the front of it off.
That left me with the narrowest needle nose you ever saw. Reached right in around the broken key and pulled it out. Rich