New to me 1978 Cobalt 19BR

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got this a couple of months ago, but finally got around to putting it up. It's a 1978 Cobalt 19BR in great shape. It has a Ford 351 with (I know I'm gonna catch crap about it, but whatever) a Stringer 800. And yes, I took it to a mechanic who completely checked it out before I bought it and said it was in fantastic shape(engine, outdrive, transom, floors). I'm the third owner and the boat has spent its whole life inside.

I've been looking for a late 70's Cobalt for quite some time(love the look and the ride), and even though I prefered a Merc, the ones that I found were otherwise total junk and I wasn't willing to drive hundreds of miles. So I figured as long as the mechanic said it was fine, I'd take a chance. The mechanic did explain how I need to run it so I minimize any problems that he said were the products of ignorance and abuse with the OMC drives.

The boat just needs a good buffing and some cosmetic work done. I'd(the wife) would like to find a teak swim deck for it eventually too. The trailer does need some work. First up is the brakes, new coupler, new lines, and hopefully just master cylinder. I'd also like to get it blasted and repainted. I was also toying with the idea of Rhino lining the trailer, just weighing the pros and cons. There is some surface rust, but nothing all the way through and all the welds are good. Tires are new and first thing I did was repack bearings. Oh yeah, why did they put those itty bitty 13" wheels on those trailers back then?

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. We did get it out a few times before it got cold and it ran like a champ. My wife is glad, she was getting tired of getting beat up behind my Kawasaki Ultra 250X.

Thanks to this site, I have already learned alot of information about boating, and look forward to more reading.

Attachments

• DSC02197.jpg
    DSC02197.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02198.jpg
    DSC02198.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02199.jpg
    DSC02199.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02201.jpg
    DSC02201.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to me 1978 Cobalt 19BR

i love old boats, and yours is spectacular. have fun with it and keep it mint for the next guy...

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I'll have to put some more pictures up this spring when I get it all prettied up!

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice old boat, congrats.
Cobalts are well made heavy crafts, it will have a really good ride for its size.
In the front where the seats and deck are, is that fiberglass? I have noticed that feature on many of the 1970's boats. It was a good way to build boats since the bow ends up so wet.
If you really like the hull don't let the OMC bring you down. Merc powered donor boats are dime a dozen. The ones with rotten decks go cheap also. Hopefully, your stringer lasts many years before you have to worry about any of that.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweet boat, i bet that 351 sounds great. post up a big pic of the helm.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That boat looks to have been very well cared for....Congrats!

Many of the trailers that run the 13 inch wheels were to keep it lower to the ground for easy launching of the boat.
My 1981 dual axle trailer is the same way.It tows just fine at 75 mph with those little wheels..

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is fiberglass where the bow seats are, and there is a little drain hole too so any water getting over the bow can get into the bilge before it runs into the rest of the boat. I agree, Cobalts are very well made.

I love that Ford 351, it does sound great when you give it some gas, but at idle, you can barely hear it running its so quiet and smooth.

I'm going to go check on it here in the next day or so and I'll make sure to get a better close up pic of the helm to post.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have the original bimini top and full stern enclosure and bow cover with no rips or cracks in the plastic windows. I took some Meguiars plastic cleaner/polish to the windows and they look great too. If I can, I'll get some pictures, it's a little tight in my storage unit.

I was also very fortunate to find a great mechanic who is very knowledgable with the Stringers, so that made me feel more at ease with having one. My wife and I are pretty meticulous with our things and our ideal day at the lake is cruising around for a little and then finding a good spot to anchor and float around for the afternoon, even when we used the jet ski. So it'll never get driven hard or abused.

My goal is to eventually get the boat to be in at least near new condition. Thanks for the great complements!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like it is good hands! I love when people take care of those older boats!
Glad you are storing it indoors.That will make it last for years to come.

Welcome to Iboats too!:D

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That makes sense about using the smaller wheels to keep the boat lower to the ground to help in launching. It sits high enough the way it is! I'm not worried about the 25 miles to my local lake, I was just concerned when it comes to towing it the 250+ miles to Table Rock in MO in the two trips we have planned this summer.

Can't wait to really get going on it, the banker(wife) is being stingy with boat money until I get my jet ski sold!

bear_69cuda

Commander

What a great boat! Looks to be in wonderful, and well cared for condition!

Congrats! I love the old Cobalt's

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

That thing is a real beaut!

If you don't mind me asking, how much for that guy?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet!

I might have the teak swim platform you want...when you are ready!

15c0m1.jpg

Happy boating!

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That swim deck is pretty much what I'm looking for, just wondering if the Stringer will clear it when it's tilted all the way up.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A little modification and i bet it would work...:)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

That swim deck is pretty much what I'm looking for, just wondering if the Stringer will clear it when it's tilted all the way up.

The Alpha 1 clears well...but I could not speak for the Stringer!

17ff9c.jpg

Happy boating!

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That pic helps! I have a garage full of woodworking tools, so I can mod it easily. I'll shoot you a PM when I decide.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wonder if I can make my own?

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat is gorgeous! I love the wood trim too. It sounds like you're prepared to continue pampering it the way the PO obviously did. Very nice.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the great compliments! I had a little buyers remorse, but got over it soon. If it's not so dang cold tomorrow I'll get a couple better pics.