On Board Charger Size?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Do i need a FOUR bank on board charger if i have a 36volt TM + a starting battery?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: On Board Charger Size?

Depends on how you fish. When I go out I rarely run my big motor long enough to recharge the starting battery. So I feel a little more at ease knowing my starting battery is always fully charged when starting the day.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

This is on a "Gar Boat"
Lot of starting & stopping + the trolling motor gets a real workout so at end of night batteries are way down-
(All lights are run off 110V generator)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A four output charger will cost you a bundle but if that's not an issue then yes - one set of outputs is needed for each battery. However, as was just mentioned earlier, the starting battery rarely gets deeply discharged so why not by a three output charger with 10 amp or more per output and use it just for the troller batteries. Shumacher makes a very nice on-board maintainer (1.5 amp) for about 20 bucks that you can add to the starting battery. I've used one of those on my last four boats and they work great.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

A four output charger will cost you a bundle but if that's not an issue then yes - one set of outputs is needed for each battery. However, as was just mentioned earlier, the starting battery rarely gets deeply discharged so why not by a three output charger with 10 amp or more per output and use it just for the troller batteries. Shumacher makes a very nice on-board maintainer (1.5 amp) for about 20 bucks that you can add to the starting battery. I've used one of those on my last four boats and they work great.

Money is a bit of a issue :(
Sounds like good advice on the 2 different chargers- did'nt think along those lines-
Think i'll go 3 bank & just top off my cranking battery with a plain ole 10amp regualar charger the day before each trip (already have a couple of those) :rolleyes:
Thanks for all advice guys :cool: