power tilt o-ring substitutes

TimB

Cadet
I replaced the o-rings and scrapper on the components of my tilt cylinder.

In order to get the cup out of the tilt cylinder I needed to remove the cylinder from the rest of the power tilt/trim unit, which meant removing the pin that the bottom of the cylinder mounts to; that pin contains hydraulic passages to get the oil from the pump to the tilt and trim cylinders.

I need to replace the half dozen or so o-rings that seal the pin to the cylinders. As far as I can tell, those o-rings are only sold as part of a complete o-ring package for the trim cylinders, which cost about $75 (Mercury part No. 25-48462A 2).

Anyone know where I can but those o-rings separately? Alternatively, can I substiture off-the-shelf o-rings and if so, what material should they be made of? anyone know the size specs?

This is a power tile/trim for a 1987 Classic Fifty, serial No. OB258460.

the complete o-ring kit (of which these o-rings are a part) is Mercury part No. 25-48462A 2

TimB

Cadet
Re: power tilt o-ring substitutes

outboard nut,

Thanks for the effort and suggestion. However, that doesn't look like the correct o-ring.

the specs on Sierra 18-7466 are ID = 0.614 inch, width (which I assume is thickness) 0.070 inch.

I am measuring with a cheap caliper, granted, but ....

the thickness looks correct (I measured 0.0703 inches) but the pin the o-ring seals around is 1.0 inch in diameter on the nose.

I would assume the o-ring ID should be between 0.96 inches (or 31/32) and 1-inch

I searched a couple on-line stores for a sierra o-ring about that size by no luck. Any other leads would be appriecieated.

Tim

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tim, You can buy oring assortments for a few dollars at hardware stores. They will have all the american diameter sizes, but the thickness will be a crap shoot. As long as the orings need to be plain material, you may make it work.

Moody Blue

Captain

If you have the cylinder apart, remove the existing o-rings and take them to a hydraulics repair shop. They should be able to get you the proper sizes and prices I would think should be very reasonable.

Failing that, look up McMaster Carr on line. They have an excellent variety of orings available. You need to know OD (outside diameter) ID (inside diameter) and cross section diameter. They also have some technical literature identifying the diffferent material types and where they are suitable for use. Shipping cost is cheap and usually arrives in under 3 days.

TimB

Cadet

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. After just a little searching on the internet and using a $12 caliper, I was able to determine the correct size of the o-rings I need - a "dash-022" size (i.e., standard size AS568-022).

Next question was the material. This presented more of a problem because of seemingly contridictory info on the internet.

The two choice commonly available at industrial supply stores and that may be suitable for this application are Buna-N (i.e., nitrile) and Vitron A formulation. Some web sites said one or the other material is not recommended for use with automatic transmission fluid, other web sites said they are fine, even recommended for ATF.

I went with the Vitron - under $9.00 for 50 o-rings from Grainger (I need 6 of them). I'll see how they hold up against the Dexron III

Thanks again.