what grade of aluminum ?

BaDucK

Seaman
are starcrafts (1974) built out of ?.....as long as i stay away from shoddy marinas (stray current) and dont go scratching her down to bare metal i should be fine down on the coast correct ?

my 31' marinette was made from 5086 marine grade, very safe on salt water, but some of the older sears(for example) aluminum rowers would fizz like alka seltzer if you scratched the paint in salt water from what ive heard.....

just wondering where do these old starcrafts stand.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: what grade of aluminum ?

Lets hope your 31' Marinette was made from 5086-H116 ;)

BTW: "Marine grade" is a term invented by the marketing gurus of marine products. The aluminum Industry does not recognize a "marine grade? product.

BaDucK

Seaman

Lets hope your 31' Marinette was made from 5086-H116 ;)

BTW: "Marine grade" is a term invented by the marketing gurus of marine products. The aluminum Industry does not recognize a "marine grade? product.

5086-h116 it was.....so, what are the old starcrafts made from ?

if it makes you feel anybetter I have a 1977 starcraft that has been nothing but ABUSED and in salt water ALL of its life. never got cleaned, never got washed after salt use....previous owner of course. and after 37 years there are only a few small spots where she is corroded through. most likely from stray DC current more than anything though