NYS Boat regis??

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
My neighbor wants to give me an old boat,about 1973 pre H.I.N. I called DMV a coupla times and rec'd different answers maybe someone here has been thru it.
The transferable registration has been lost, does she have to renew registration at full fee to get a duplicate transferable registration, that would be a waste of those years DMV registration fees.
Also if she doesn't wanna bother can I get the boat registered another way considering it is so old.
I'm just looking for a project for my son to learn or i wouldn't even bother.
Thanks

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NYS Boat regis??

I live in Syracuse. I don't believe she needs to renew the registration. She will need a copy from the DMV for transferring ownership. I would assume the registration number is still discernible on the boat itself. The DMV can use this number to create a copy for your neighbor. Hope this helps but I would get it straight from the DMV what you need to do.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

DMV personnel give conflicting answers, not very capable people. Thnaks

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I bought a 1957 boat in 1998 that had not been registered for five years and all I had to do was come with a bill of sale from the previous owner and the registration numbers on the boat.The DMV lady pulled the old registration and compared the name on the bill of sale.She produced a new registration for me on the spot.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

i also live near syracuse and restore junk boats and snowmobiles. the dmv is awful, unpredictable and incompetent. often among the fat women they cant agree how to handle my boats, as i stand there in my suit on lunch break trying to do the legal thing.

so yes you have two routes in theory:

1) if you have access to the last person to register the boat, they can go to dmv and get a printout form to sign over to you. i would be surprised if they give you information pertaining to another owner.

2) if you dont have access to that person, if they are dead or unknown, you are best to take a digital pic or rubbing of the HIN number or some other ID, and register it as a previously unregistered vessel. I have done this twice, with huge effort. They will give you a non transferable reg, and Albany checks for fraud. Takes 6 months to get full registration.

Or, do what I now do. I troll craigslist for junk boats with papers, and buy the papers. I then swap the identity of boats (switch the metal plate) So far I have converted a few oddball runabouts to Starcrafts and MFGs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The only correct answer is what the DMV tells you on the day you are there to register it.

Buying papers and going around the system is dangerous.

You're getting the boat for free anyway. Have the previous owner register it legally, then transfer the papers to you. Pay the person for the cost and give them an extra $20 for their trouble.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a 1957 boat in 1998 that had not been registered for five years and all I had to do was come with a bill of sale from the previous owner and the registration numbers on the boat.The DMV lady pulled the old registration and compared the name on the bill of sale.She produced a new registration for me on the spot.
This is what i'm talking about, someone who has done it before. It is a shame that DMV is so incompetent that they can't even give correct info. It's probably a 50/50 chance that this will happen to me.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

This is what i'm talking about, someone who has done it before. It is a shame that DMV is so incompetent that they can't even give correct info. It's probably a 50/50 chance that this will happen to me.

There is of course the little matter of "noticing" the picture of the grand child or daughter or dog sitting next to the computer.Often a sweet little conversation about how nice the dog is or how great it is to have a grand daughter will open the gates of mercy out of which a registration comes forth.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is of course the little matter of "noticing" the picture of the grand child or daughter or dog sitting next to the computer.Often a sweet little conversation about how nice the dog is or how great it is to have a grand daughter will open the gates of mercy out of which a registration comes forth.

I completely understand and I'll be looking for that one special clerk.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or, do what I now do. I troll craigslist for junk boats with papers, and buy the papers. I then swap the identity of boats (switch the metal plate) So far I have converted a few oddball runabouts to Starcrafts and MFGs.

I would not take any advice from some one who tells you to break the law. In many states altering vin's and hin's and forging titles is a felony.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Definitely do not follow that advice.

Not sure I would broadcast an illegal activity on a public internet forum...?!?! :confused::eek:

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL definitely am 'at your own risk' activity, but it is getting popular...see a lot of listings for papers. shame really, because i love recycling junk from the landill.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you know if that meant it was expired for five years or last time registration fees were paid was 5 years ago? I'm coming up on the latter.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The only correct answer is what the DMV tells you on the day you are there to register it.

Buying papers and going around the system is dangerous.

You're getting the boat for free anyway. Have the previous owner register it legally, then transfer the papers to you. Pay the person for the cost and give them an extra $20 for their trouble.

+1

NY is simply one of the most complicated states in the US to live in. I do my damnedest to fly under the radar where the IRS and NYS DMV are concerned. Start down the wrong path with these guys and it can take you forever to straighten it out, even if they did something wrong in the first place.

I would only take a different approach if the current owner refuses to do it. Can't imagine why she would, though, it can all be done online.

NYBo

Admiral

I completely understand and I'll be looking for that one special clerk.
At our local DMV offices, you don't get a choice of clerks.

I gave a way a boat about a year and a half ago that hadn't been registered for almost 15 years, and I couldn't find the old registration either. I just had to pay for a replacement, not the full registration fee.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1

NY is simply one of the most complicated states in the US to live in. I do my damnedest to fly under the radar where the IRS and NYS DMV are concerned. Start down the wrong path with these guys and it can take you forever to straighten it out, even if they did something wrong in the first place.

I would only take a different approach if the current owner refuses to do it. Can't imagine why she would, though, it can all be done online.

Replacement reg for boats cannot be done online in NYS(unless it changed within the past months), it's a lot to ask a person who donated a boat to give up a day and drag them to DMV.

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NYS where the residents screem S.O.S (help)

and

all government entities are S.O.S aka - Stuck On Stupid!