2009/2010 woodworking projects? Show off your stuff

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
What woodworking projects do you have in store for the coming months? I'm hoping for pictures and maybe even video, here, as no words can fully describe a piece of woodwork. I'd love to see updates as time goes on for those who are mid-project or just getting started. I'm still very much learning, and any unique techniques are always welcomed.

Backstory:

Although raised in a mechanic's household as a child, I have always had a soft spot for woodworking. Recently, within the past few years, I have acquired most of the tools necessary for making some decent furniture and pretty much whatever I can dream up.

I began with building some rudimentary computer desks using MDF, onto a kitchen remodel where I built a birch and white wood bar, basic white wood cabinets, counter tops, butcher-block and trim and a paneled alcove. Having saved enough money doing those projects myself, and learning some important lessons, I moved on to build a screen porch addition to my house, complete with hip/valley roof. I recently built cabinet doors for my new counter, ones which match the existing doors elsewhere in the kitchen. A chore which wasn't large, but required some technical woodworking skills I didn't possess until the past month or so. They also required some tools I did not possess until recently.

We're finally at today, where I have a small arsenal of woodworking tools to offset my ever increasing mechanic's tool set. Though basic as woodworking goes, I have managed to save enough money doing projects on my own to justify buying a table saw, drill press, band saw, jointer, oscillating belt sander, miter saw, skil saw, jig saw, chisel set, hand plane, router and table, a few router bits and plenty of sanders and sandpaper. Now this may seem a big list to any non-woodworker, but I have found almost every tool I have purchased was needed for one project or another. To many artisans, this is likely the bare minimum or worse.

Now, having all of this equipment and a few years of building to train myself on the proper use of it all, including building benches and a few jigs, I am ready to begin tackling some real woodworking projects. So, in effect, I am finally realizing a lifelong dream to make real custom woodwork, not professionally mind you, but just for myself.

And of course, I will add some photos of upcoming and past projects as well once I get some photos together.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2009/2010 woodworking projects? Show off your stuff

I know what you mean about the tools- they are great to have but do no good if one does not know what to do with them.Always fun and full of pride when you finish something nice, hey?

Congrats on pursuing your fine hobby.

My collection has gone the other way, from wood to metals .

Does this count? :DMore of a mixed medium woodworking/iron/ concrete/copper/asphalt / etc. project.

Started as a single story hip roof......got a little bigger. Not sure I would do it again.
Not talented enough to do real woodworking, like to turn bowls though. Hope to get the tinkertoy garage up next year so I can continue that pursuit.

Attachments

• 100_5311.JPG
    100_5311.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

WizeOne

Commander

Just made new shed doors to replace the old rotted ones. These doors are totally sealed with all wood components glued in place, not nailed or screwed. All the screws are stainless steel and every joint has been caulked then all primed and painted. I think the shed will crumble into dust before these doors rot again. I also cut a custom top drip rail to keep the rain from running down on the top of the doors.

Not too spectacular a project but I have a lot of time in them and am very proud every time I walk by it. I also built the whole shed from scratch back in the summer of '88.

Frontsheddoors3.jpg

Frontsheddoors2.jpg

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I finally got some before and after photos organized. Here are my last few projects: Link to hi-res gallery

Office%20Desks%20003.jpg
Office%20Desks%20023.jpg

My first foray into woodworking and furniture making. I needed a couple of desks specific for a room and this was a quick and dirty set of desks, made with MDF.

CIMG0326.JPG
IMG_0004-4.JPG

Once a plain white, glass shelved hole in the wall. I added stained and poly'd birch ply with trim, recessed rope lighting (on a dimmer), in-ceiling speakers with 5.1 speaker wiring within the alcove for the stereo system. It is also wired for video, but I opted against making a drop-down movie screen in my living room. There is a DD RCA plug leading to the adjoining room for a PC-based media center as well.

Boat%20restore%20and%20home%20photos%20206.JPG

A dog house I made for my two dogs, complete with wall to wall carpeting. Sadly, they almost never used it (it has since been destroyed by a tree).

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

CIMG0088.JPG
CIMG0119.JPG

CIMG0219.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

This wall was a major chokepoint in our house, blocking off the open feel of our main living area, so it had to go. I'm not big on random 1/2 walls, so something had to go into the empty space. a perfect spot for a bar! All of this was very new to me, as it was the first time I have changed a wall.. very scary!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

CIMG0089.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

CIMG0102.JPG
Boat%20restore%20and%20home%20photos%20151.JPG

Dated was an understatement for this kitchen. I didn't want to sink too much into a remodel, but something had to be done, so I painted the stove and replaced the countertops, as well as removed an odd counter peninsula which made a narrow entrance into the kitchen. I also removed all wallpaper and lenoleum and installed laminate flooring.. after adding 80lbs of concrete to level the sloped floor.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Boat%20restore%20and%20home%20photos%20327.JPG
Mandy%20Visit%202009-40.JPG

Boat%20restore%20and%20home%20photos%20326.JPG
IMG_0002-1.JPG

After having completed the interior work on the house, it was time to spend some time outdoors. Well, not too outdoors, and that means.. screen porch! Amazingly I managed to build an entire addition to my house by only doing internet research. I even passed an electrical exam which allowed me to do my own wiring as well. Was seriously labor intensive, but very rewarding. I get to enjoy my labor every time I look, and step, outside.

Upcoming projects include coffee table, console table and an end table, all matching our current dining room table. Some easy things to get me practiced up for a hope chest my wife has been bugging me for forever.

Cheers!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

this years wood working was the splitting of 8 cords of birch, does that count:D

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got a lathe for christmas last year so most of my suff is roundy round

a wooden scoop
100_2313.jpg

some of my many tops and a bottom
100_2296.jpg

I did a bunch of baseball bats
100_2299.jpg

a little ring box for momma
100_2303.jpg

a wooden mallet out of a bowling pin
100_2215.jpg

Tooth pick holder
100_2203.jpg

WizeOne

Commander

Yes, lathes can be fun! What kinds of woods are you using, jmr?

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, lathes can be fun! What kinds of woods are you using, jmr?

cheap or free. I work with a guy that sells firewood I grab some out of his truck from time to time. I also have a buddy that got me a TON of 2x2 hard wood packing material.

i386

Captain

That looks like a good mallet for use with wood chisels. Really nice.

I'm going to start building my first electric guitar from scratch after the holidays. I'm in the process of building a mock-up now. It started with me gluing up enough pine scraps to make a neck blank. My intention was just to have a go at carving a neck. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I rather enjoyed carving it. It turned out looking pretty good for a first try so I decided to make a mockup of the whole deal out of it. It's made from scraps of this and that. It'll never be playable though. I'll just make it look close to playable and call it "art" I guess. Here's a few pics of work in progress...

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00069.jpg

IMG00074.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

That's really slick i386! Did you use a spokeshave to do the carving?

i386

Captain

That's really slick i386! Did you use a spokeshave to do the carving?

Thanks! Nah I don't own one (yet). I'll probably need one when I start carving maple.

I just used different rasps and files. Just kind of cut in the basic shape at the back of the headstock and did the same at the heel. Then just carve a little at a time with the files and rasps until you meet in the middle so to speak.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I like tinkering with wood, nothing professional nor even close, but it keeps me out of trouble.
Some really nice stuff here guys...Yeah a guitar would be a cool project, but I should probably learn to play the one I have..someday hopefully I'll do both. Only thing on the horizon is the dash for my Starcraft, been thinking about using a composite but I really love the look of wood, so I imagine that will win out. Anyways.....I enjoyed seeing your work, heres a couple of my attempts...

RodRack
rodrack.jpg

JigBox
jigbox.jpg

Necessities cabinet
lickhercabinet1.jpg

lickhercabinet2.jpg

Last edited:

i386

Captain

^^^ Nice work. I especially like the jig box. If my skill level ever gets high enough, I'd like to make some of those fancy wooden boxes for trinkets, man stuff, cigars, guns, knives, etc...

Don't mean to hog up this thread too much with the guitar stuff but here's the latest pics...

Fretboard, markers, and toothpick frets...

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

The fretboard started out as a 3/4" thick board of what I think might be cherry but I'm not sure. I planed it down to the thickness you see here with a block plane. That took a while. You should see the pile of shavings. The frets are toothpicks. I clamped the dremel in my vice with a sanding drum chucked. Used that to make the toothpicks flat on one side. Glued 'em on and beveled the edges. The fret markers are made from some 3/16" delrin rod that I got from McMaster Carr for another project a while back.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey lowkee,
I guess we should have joined our threads.
A lot of great projects here too. :cool:
I don't want to post the same pic's in too many threads so I added a link to my projects on photo bucket in my sig. I will post a couple updates too.
Foot board too Bed
IMG00153.jpg

Close up of corner post on foot board
IMG00156.jpg

My Thread is non boating hobbies in Dockside chat.
Great thread Lowkee. :cool:
Bob

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I got a lathe for christmas last year so most of my suff is roundy round

Tooth pick holder
100_2203.jpg

Were those toothpicks originally bowling pins or baseball bats?