1972 Merc 225 TR mcma help

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice
!972 Mercruiser 302 225 4v coupled to mercII transmission to Tr.
My problem is cannot get forward thrust, reverse works. Do not no the correct terms but "thingy" on top of transmission is working! electrical shift. Moves into forward but no load on tranny. Motor moves into reverse and makes noise spins prop. Moves to neutral thingy moves, forward thingy moves fine but nothing. no noise no load. Fluid is clean and full. Boat sat for 8 yrs. but has run fine on 5 outings since awakening. Any help would be great! This is I guess concidered old school.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1972 Merc 225 TR mcma help

Personally, I don't know anything about those transmissions, but if you go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum, you can download and OEM service manual that covers it. Should help a little bit.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Oh no. I was hoping you would shine on me.:}

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hang tight vrod... Bondo may know a thing or 2 about these uncommon setups.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,...I know as much about 'em as I do OMC Stringers....
That's enough to Pull 'em,+ toss 'em....

Antiques....

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

I dont see that happening. Transom and stringers are tight. Funny how they got away from this setup and now ther back with it.Should have held out for a houseboat with a volvo setup.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

!972 Mercruiser 302 225 4v coupled to mercII transmission to Tr.
My problem is cannot get forward thrust, reverse works. Do not no the correct terms but "thingy" on top of transmission is working! electrical shift. Moves into forward but no load on tranny. Motor moves into reverse and makes noise spins prop. Moves to neutral thingy moves, forward thingy moves fine but nothing. no noise no load. Fluid is clean and full. Boat sat for 8 yrs. but has run fine on 5 outings since awakening. Any help would be great! This is I guess concidered old school.

Hey what's up V ? For some reason your tranny is not locking up the clutch's. About the only thing you can do at this point is to check that the shift mechanism is going all the way into forward. Those electric shifts were known to sometime not go completely into forward and after time they would burn up the clutchs. Have someone put it into forward while running and see if you can turn it by hand towards the forward position any more. The part on top with the shift on it is the control valve.All it does is direct the fluid to lock up the clutch's for forward or lock down the band on the drum for reverse via the planetary. I just finished rebuilding one of those for a spare.Let me know what happens,you know where to find me.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

How funny! I sent you a p.m. on the other board, never knew you were here!