finding a reboot disc

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had issues with my laptop and somehow it wouldn't boot. right around this time i was moving also. so i erased the hard drive because i couldnt even get to the windows start screen at all. I installed ubuntu as a temp fix but cannot find the other half of the dual cd reboot from the box disc set and i need windows to run my harmony remote and my phone and some other things. I was wondering if there was any place to download toshiba recovery cds online. I cant find any anyplace so far. thanks

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: finding a reboot disc

Is the hidden partition containing the certified Windows installation files still intact? This partition is locked so you would have had to hack it to remove it. If its still intact you may be able to call the company and have new discs created for your laptop, having a purchase receipt would be good.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

im currently waiting on hold with toshiba for like the past 20 minutes saying im going to get connected to the next available agent.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use WOT app on Firefox and it says not to trust the site. Im still going to give er a go because i have nothing to lose on the ubuntu lol so it doesnt matter to me.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you have Windows XP in it, good luck getting a recovery disk.

I have the same problem with a desktop right now and am also running Ubuntu in it. I also installed Codeweavers Crossover software in the computer, so that I can install Windows compatible programs. As with most things for Linux operating systems, its a pretty much "one frickin issue after another" situation.

I was thinking of leaving Ubuntu in it, because I will use it only as a multimedia machine, but Linux is too much of a pain in the behind for me. I just don't have the time to fight with it, in order to do what I want to do. Since this machine still has the Windows XP license tag on the case, however, my local independant computer guy says he can reinstall it.

Sometimes the "zeros and ones" just get a jumbled up and smack you in the back of the head!

???

j_martin

Admiral

If it were mine, I'd run any old fdisk (win95, 98) against it and make the desired partition the boot (active) partition. Then if it didn't boot, I'd run Bart PE against it and copy a back level hive set to the registry. You can scan the disk from there, also. Bart has a pretty good checkdisk built into it.

If the registry is good, it might complain about missing code. Just replace it from a good machine.

If all that fails, punt.

hope it helps
John

dolluper

Captain

Err a rapidshare competitor worth a try with nothing to loose ....easy if you have a COA to re-format and install updating is the pain part
Knoppix live cd is good for recovering all your files.....put on thumb drive or burn to cd,dvd...or just use live cd to play on the net

Last edited:

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found this on the technical support forum on Toshiba's website:

"DVD recovery media can be ordered from Toshiba Customer Service at 1-800-457-7777. There is no charge for the software itself, and as of 11/30/09 the shipping and handling charges for delivery of recovery media in the US is $24.95."

I have an L305D-S5959. If it will let me make a second set of discs you could try those, I may also be able to burn copies of the discs I made.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have had issues with my laptop and somehow it wouldn't boot. right around this time i was moving also. so i erased the hard drive because i couldnt even get to the windows start screen at all. I installed ubuntu as a temp fix but cannot find the other half of the dual cd reboot from the box disc set and i need windows to run my harmony remote and my phone and some other things. I was wondering if there was any place to download toshiba recovery cds online. I cant find any anyplace so far. thanks

Another option is to download the Windows 7 beta that is freely available on torrent sites. This version is free and will work until July 1st 2010. That's what I'm running on my Toshiba Laptop. So far so good!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You mentioned a pair of boot disks that came with the computer. Were they "recovery disks" or something else? If they were not recovery disks, did you make a set when you first got the 'puter? If you did and still have them, the loss of the recovery partition on the main drive, won't matter.

On the computer that I mentioned, above, I thought that I didn't have the recovery disks - frankly I forgot that I had made them. I did know that I had had a set of them, but I thought they were for a HP that I just rebuilt (lightening strike on the house). Long story short, the HP has been prompting me to make recovery disks, which suddenly clicked in my foggy old brain. You can only make recovery disks once, so that meant the ones that I knew I had, were for the other computer.

I used them to recover that one earlier today and had no problems at all, even though the recovery partition on the HD was shot. The only thing that it did do that I thought was a little weird, is that it loaded Windows XP on the D drive, instead of the C drive. Not sure what is up with that.

I really a hacker when it comes to fixing computers, but one thing that strikes me about any attempt to get yours up and running with someone else's recovery disks, is that they may not work. If I am not mistaken, there is code on the BIOS chip that will tell the recovery routine which computer that it is "talking to." I'm sure that the "super geeks" know how to get around this, but for us mere mortals, that could be a problem.

???

dolluper

Captain

any non branded full install disc that matches your COA {or generate one another story}is your best bet reinstall and go update

Last edited:

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i finially got back around to the forums, lots and lots and lots of work.15 hours OT so far this week and its only my 3rd day. but back to subject, i decided it was time for me to wait thru the extremly long hold time for a toshiba rep. sadly i am disappointed in toshiba. cant provide me with a tracking number cant email me the tracking number. Rep told me that if i dont recieve the discs in the mail within 10 business days to call back in. But i shelled out the 24.95 for the recovery discs "shipment costs"

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where they coming from, India?

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You should have tried with just the one disk that you found assuming it's disk #1. In my experience (HP and Dell) the second disk is usually just "extras" and not mandatory to get a working system. If you have nothing to lose it's worth a shot.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You should have tried with just the one disk that you found assuming it's disk #1. In my experience (HP and Dell) the second disk is usually just "extras" and not mandatory to get a working system. If you have nothing to lose it's worth a shot.

This could be true. The fifty dollar question is what will happen when it prompts to load the 2nd disk and you don't have it. Mine was 4 disks (standard CDs) and it did load all the junk that you never want - Norton, McAfee, etc., etc. I had to take it all off again and then do the updates - Service Pack 3 and so forth.

???

dolluper

Captain

Yea the Brits wanted 23 bones by e-mail.....hint XP and up upgrade disc's will do a complete install even from a bare hard drive.....micro's mistake maybe