Aluminum 14' Fishing Project

I ran across this 14' Chrysler Big Fisherman form the early 70's that Im trying to give a new lease on life It was free with a trailer and motor who could say no.

Im decking the front half including the middle seat with some storage and hidden bench seats along the sides between the first and middle seat.

I also need to rebuild the transom and possibly make it a little stronger. Im only running a Evinrude 9.9 early 70's so I wont do much.

My Goal is to only add 100lbs (deck and seating) to keep it as light as possible and hold 3 people. My max capacity is 705lbs passengers and gear. With engine, lighting, battery, seats, deck, oars, and anchor my goal is 200lbs

The Transom is 1"x8"x51" of plywood with an aluminum piece of angel iron along the bottom edge of the plywood.

The deck is going to be 3/4 with a door in the center(blue box) for storage access under the red sections which will also serve as bench seating when the center storage door is fully open.

In front of the front seat will be minimal storage and air bladders from a kayak for flotation.

Im hoping to get it ironed out and in the water for some testing in a few weeks.

Any advice on transom reinforcing vs weight would be appreciated.

One thing Im stuck on is the original chrysler labeling on the sides. Ive repainted the white and the original stripe. Problem is I only have a partial picture of the lettering it was long gone when I got it.

Attachments

• botres1109.jpg
    botres1109.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • linedrawing.jpg
    linedrawing.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum 14' Fishing Project

nice find keep the photos coming

you might be able to use lighter wood if your spanning a small amount of space to save weight

joe

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

going to be a great project!

Take lots of pictures!!

I like the lines of the boat...

Your idea looks good too..

I agree, for short spans, use thinner/smaller wood and save the weight...

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Even with 3/4 it needs a little aluminum reinforcement so it doesn't flex.
Most of my spans are greater then 3'

Well Im just about done with the decking. The red 1's are small hinged storage areas. The red 2 will fold over on top of red blue 2 for storage access under the blue 2's and for extra seaating on top of blue 2's. Blue 2 will also give access to yellow 3. The yellow 3 and blue 2's are reinforced with aluminum angle iron.

Hopefully tonight I can finish up the 2 more storage doors and get everything a final tweak.

Attachments

• deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet ride she'll be, I like the storage idea's....nice!!

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

more storage is always good..

Just make sure your "stuff" fits in there easy..
and that you can get it out easy...

The inside of my boat doesnt look like it was ever painted. The outside is. The inside looked like it had a light green coating of some kind. While cleaning it most of it came off.

Should I paint the inside if its only going to see freshwater? I was thinking of polishing it because that seems easier to maintain then a painted surface.

Any suggestions?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like your ideas for the layout midnight, the benches facing each other is a great idea for additional seating lower in the boat while cruising to the fishing hole.

The green stuff was most likely a non-skid coating. Many tin boats from the 60s and 70s had that, my 12' Aerocraft had blue smurf-turf non-skid and I think it may have been lead based so it's good to get rid of it.

I rebuilt the transom on my 12' to hang my 5.5hp on her and it worked out very well with just a little work. Use 3M 4200/5200 to coat the stainless steel bolts to keep it watertight and epoxy to waterproof the wood.

Good luck with the project and welcome to iboats:)

While I've been waiting for the deck paint to dry I rigged up a make shift anchor system. If I have a stationary double pulley and a stationary single pulley will it make it easier to raise the anchor? My thought is.... it wont. Its not that easy to raise the anchor the way it is and its only 10lbs to many directions to hide it under the deck.

Like the Dragon?

I tried to illustrate it in the attachment

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor2.JPG
    anchor2.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 0

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the bow anchor...

Do you have a way to keep the anchor from hitting the hull during transportation?

That is one thing I am trying to figure out..

I will just put it inside the boat by letting a little slack into the line until Im ready to drop anchor.

I just finished the transom and got half of the deck bolted down. I'm waiting for my aluminum angle iron to come in so I can finish the deck. I ordered it from a friend who has a machine shop. $1 a foot is alot better then what I saw at Home Depot last night. They wanted $15 for 3 feet of 1"x1"x1/8"

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have you tried a balance test yet? If you raise the center of gravity a semi V can get real tippy real fast! OR are you going to completely eliminate that bow fishing seat?

Im adding the bow seat :) I may move it if its not stable. Im going to get it out on the water tomorrow and test it out. I did however stand up on the original seat where the pedestal seat is and it was pretty stable. Ill know better tomorrow afternoon.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

good luck with that!

The placement will be key

So is my bow seat the way it is in a bad spot? Ill find out soon enough. Im going to hook up my fish finder and go out Saturday. Hope I dont get wet.

Here is a pic of my side storage. I used chicken wire to make a basket to hold rods and light small stuff. If everything works out Ill use aluminum sheet and drill holes in the bottom to let water out.

Under the decks I used cedar and aluminum strips so the plywood doesnt stay wet where its on top of the old seats.

This is all really a prototype to see how everything works. If I like it Im going to redo it in marine ply and epoxy. I used some out door 3/4 ply I had laying around, some old oil paint, play sand, and some cheap seats I picked up of craigs list for $25.

Attachments

• store.jpg
    store.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • store2.jpg
    store2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

not in a bad spot specifically...

I meant good luck with the whole trial and error part of fitment..

It has the ability to beat a guy up...

Good idea for a storage area in a small boat!

Well I got out on the water at the crack of dawn today. Tested out my new used humminbird fish finder (even found some fish) No bites but I wasnt out to really fish just test things out. My new rod is great.

The boat is a little tippy but certainly okay for one person up in the front pedestal seat and one the back by the motor. This is going to be great for solo fishing once I get a bow mount trolling motor which Im checking out today

Picked up two trolling motors, a marine battery, and a nice danforth anchor for $140

Whats better for a small boat a 10lb mushroom anchor or a 5lb danforth?

Any idea where I can find info on a Mercury Thruster 2 and a Mercury Thruster Plus? They both work and both have foot controls. I figured for the price I would rig one up on my canoe and one on the aluminum rig.

Here is a pic of the Thruster Plus

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0