What size and type of boat

Jawzman

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

We are looking a boat that can be used for fishing and water skiing. Also what size and horsepower should be fine for both. We live close to a bay for fishing and also some lakes that are at lease a hour away. Does anyone have a suggestion on a boat that would be good for both? :confused:

Jawzman

Last edited:

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What size and type of boat

You left out so much info, your question is too broad....

-how many people will be in the boat?
-what is your tow vehicale capacity? (do you plan to tow it or get a slip?)
-do you plan to stay out overnight?
-are you wanting NEW or USED? (what is your budget?)

Do you have any preferences, or thoughts on what you would like (inboard, outboard, aluminum or fibreglass?)

I think with a bit more info, we could be a little more helpful, and if you have some notation on what you want, and want our feedback, that would be good to say "I'm looking at a Four Winns 200 Freedom, with a 4.3L .... will this be suitable for....."

Jawzman

Seaman Apprentice

So Sorry guys,

Alright to seat four persons, 4 stroke outboard motor, no over niters. The hull in fiberglass and towable also a used boat is what we can afford...

Jawzman

Jawzman

Seaman Apprentice

Im loacated in the California bay area about hour south of SF...

Jawzman

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A lot of nice 17 to 18 footers around. You need at least 70% of the boats rated HP on the back to get satisfactory performance. Personally I prefer 100% !!!
Why 4 stroke ??

Jawzman

Seaman Apprentice

Well almost all our lakes around were we live wont allow 2 strokes. Heres a question, is a inboard lower in the water then a outboard?

Jawzman

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

One very important point: Since you said you wanted to ski, you want the BIA rated max hp hanging on the transom. Just do it and you won't be sorry. The extra cost (money) is gone when you buy the boat. The aggravation of doing otherwise would be with you as long as you owned it. BTDT

Mark

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Well almost all our lakes around were we live wont allow 2 strokes. Heres a question, is a inboard lower in the water then a outboard?

Jawzman

Is the law no 2 strokes period? Or is it no old school carbureted two strokes? With the advent of direct fuel injection on 2 strokes there are many that polute less than some 4 strokes. Is the law based on EPA or CARB rating? There are 2 strokes that are CARB rated and will likely be lighter, faster and easier to maintain than a 4 stroke.

Regarding the draft of and outboard versus an inboard/outdrive, in most instances they will be about the same. The advantage that an outboard has is that it can be pulled up higher in low speed situations and can be pulled out all the way for mooring.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jawzman,

Any of the CARB approved fuel injected two strokes will be OK on your lakes. I'd look very closely at eTecs.

Philster

Captain

2-strokers are better for skiing and getting out of the hole. So, if they can be used, definitely consider a 2-stroker.

Plus, simpler is better on the water.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

For myself, the ideal is the Ranger Reata line, though they lean toward the serious side of fishing. They are great family boats and decent ski boats.

As far as type of engine, don't let them dissuade you from buying a four stroke. Yes, they are a little slower out of the hole, but they pull skiers up fine and top speed is comparable. Maintenance is similar to most two strokes, every 100 hrs/1 year, with the exception of yearly oil/filter changes. Valve lash is checked every 5 years/500 hrs, and timing belt replaced every 10 years/1,000 hrs. E-TECs are serviced only every three years/300 hrs, but what they don't tell you is that anything saved in maintenance will be burned in XD-100 oil. Locally it's a little under $50 gal.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

There is nothing wrong with 4-strokes. If you find the boat you want with a 4-stroke that is great. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't rule out all 2-strokes as some of them will meet the CARB requirements.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing wrong with 4-strokes. If you find the boat you want with a 4-stroke that is great. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't rule out all 2-strokes as some of them will meet the CARB requirements.
How many hours do you have on your E-Tec? Any problems?