Pressure test OD

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Is it possible to pressure test the OD while it has lube in it just to see if it holds pressure?

Was going to do just the impellar and such but thought I saw a very small amount of gear lube in the bellows when I removed the OD, so I thought I would bring it to a local pro to pressure test and he doesn't like the lube drained before you bring it to him...........guess so he can see 1st hand what comes out. But now I am thinking of pressure testing myself and if it is OK just do normal PM...that's why I want to do it filled.....

Also, can I rig a fuel pressure gauge to test it? I am un der the impression a pressure gauge is a pressure gauge..........

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pressure test OD

Ayuh,... Howdy Tony,.. Hope ya had a Great turkey day,... I did...

While you could do the test with oil in the drive,...
I'd think you could end up with a False negative results...
The oil won't leak out like Air would...
And,...
Yes, a pressure gauge is a pressure gauge...
Just use a small scaled 1,.. You're only dealing with up to 15psi...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you already changed your gear lube for the winter, and there wasn't any water in the gear lube, and the level was still where it should be before draining, then it's not leaking.
Pressure tests with cold gear lube in it, won't show leaks.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I didn't change the lube yet and the level didn't change in the remote reseveoir (sp?)

So should I just do the PM? was thinking of trying to pressure test it from the vent hole...

ziggy

Admiral

if ya havn't changed the lub yet. when ya do. when empty, do your pressure/vac test.

you don't need a shop to drain your gear lub. you can tell what the lub is like.

when i drain mine, i feel the very first part on the way out. feeling for metal fragments. + you might have the magnet on the drain plug. you can check that for fragments too assuming you have one. you can tell contaminated lub from used lub. once it's empty, do your pressure/vac test. for nothing more than peace of mind.
i do the test every year so far. but i have the impeller in the drive. so it seems like a good idea to pressure/vac test after reassembly. i understand, you don't have to separate your drive for impeller replacement. so drain it and test it. make yourself a tester... you'll be happy you did. it's not a hard test to do. nor is feeling the lub or inspecting for contamination...

like dons said too. if ya still have the same amount of lub in your drive ya put in. that would lead ya to think that there is no leak. i know i felt good when i inspected mine prior to draining and saw the lub right at the top of the vent hole. lead me to think i didn't leak any out...

you can pressure test from either vent or drain hole. but it sounds like the folks i've learned from think ya need it empty.. makes sense to me...

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks ziggy........probably going to try to pressure test from the vent hole today, will try to post pics of my contraption..........If it holds pressure I will do the normal PM.......lube implellar, etc........I do still change the implellar every other year even though I have an engine mounted raw water pump.......still gotta keep those gear cool......

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Just pressurized the OD to 15# see pic, pretty crude but it worked.

DSCN0764.jpg

Seems to be holding 15#'s w/o a problem........with lube, will next drain and retest.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Cool, I like it,... Looks like my radiator tester pump, with alittle somethin' added.....
Have ya figured out the Vacuum side yet,..??

FreeBeeTony

Captain

not worried about vacuum if the pressure holds and the fluid looks ok........

just drained the fluid......no water.....here's a pic of the magnet......just a little metal......looks OK(?)

DSCN0769.jpg

thanks for keepin an eye on me!!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Have ya figured out the Vacuum side yet,..??

I thought I read on here that you were not supposed to put vacuum on an Alpha one. Whats the final verdict???

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Just pressurized empty OD.........seems to be holding fine......guess I will just do some PM.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

thanks bondo, any suggestions on where to pick up an implellar replacement kit. Think I have a R drive......has the flat top like an Alpha but also the preload pin on the lower. Didn't see 1 here on iboats....unless I missed it, just looking to replace the impellar and gaskets....not the housings.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's the Same pump as the Alpha.... It uses Alpha 1 parts...

ziggy

Admiral

i thought ya had a belt driven sea water pickup pump?
I do still change the implellar every other year even though I have an engine mounted raw water pump.......still gotta keep those gear cool......
i wouldn't think mc-1 through alpha1 would make a difference since your pump is on the ft. of your engine...

i would think you'd need to hunt down that part number for the belt driven sea water pickup pump impeller though...

just a question. i didn't think the sea water pump or any of the cooling system kept the gears cool. i thought it was strictly convection via the drive being in the water. or a aftermarket drive shower... am i missing something?

Bondo

Staff member

Except the base...............right?

Ayuh,.... I believe All the impellers of that series are the Same,... Even the Outboards...
Yes, the Housings change....