to decarb or not to decarb

pedixon

Seaman Apprentice
After doing lots of reading on this forum about decarbing I am tempted to do this,but am very reluctent because my motor does run fairly well. I have a 1989 15hp evinrude, have used it many years with lots of trolling. All I have ever done as far as maintenence is change plugs and gear oil regularly and fuel pump once (turns out I didnt need to). So Im wondering if decarbing would make sense to do. I have a vision of my motor not running after pouring all that stuff into it. I think I love my evinrude.

Phil

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: to decarb or not to decarb

Do it! It will not hurt. Many people use "seafoam" as a regular fuel additive.

Mas

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I have a vision of my motor not running after pouring all that stuff into it. I think I love my evinrude.

I share that vision, but If carbon builds up in the ring groove it may cause the the rings to catch on the port and break.:eek: Thanks for reminding me to decarb.:D

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The advent of OMC's Engine Tuner (aerosol decarb product) arose years ago when the quality of available fuels changed. In the early-mid 70's it was not a big issue. That was when fuel had lead and no ethanol. Today's fuels tend to accumulate carbon around the rings or on the piston skirt-so an annual decarb is not a bad idea. If you have ever seen a failed engine due to coked rings, you will understand all the discussion on this topic. The accumulation of carbon around the rings is a specific problem to the crossflow family of engines, both the V4 and V6 lines. Symptoms of coked/carboned rings are hard starting and poor/uneven idling.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Decarb !!! your motor will thank you for it by the way it runs for you.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i do a decarb every season just as a maintenance thing.

all engines run great and dont need anything until they break.

thats why you do maintenance.

doing a water pump every 3 years is a good thing.
its not only the water pump its greasing the splines of the drive shaft greasing all the bolts of the lower unit. taking of the prop and grease it check for fishing line to prevent a cut seal.
etc etc
thats why its worth to do it
keep your eyes open for problems that you can prevent.

frozen prop, frozen drive shaft, prop seal broken, broken lu bolts, thats what you will get with no maintenance and the repair will not be cheap.

jasper60103

Commander

After doing lots of reading on this forum about decarbing I am tempted to do this,but am very reluctent because my motor does run fairly well. I have a 1989 15hp evinrude, have used it many years with lots of trolling. All I have ever done as far as maintenence is change plugs and gear oil regularly and fuel pump once (turns out I didnt need to). So Im wondering if decarbing would make sense to do. I have a vision of my motor not running after pouring all that stuff into it. I think I love my evinrude.

Phil

All I want to say is I would buy your motor in a heart beat!:)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I rebuilt a 9.9 and got a free powerhead with the purchase of the lower unit. The shop had diagnosed the powerhead as being low in one cylinder , when I got the motor in pieces it was evident as to why it was low, stuck ring. A $10bottle of seafoam would have almost certainly saved this powerhead from being labelled as junk. Make it part of your maintenance plan along with everything else, carbon is the number one killer of outboards.

lindy46

Captain

If you don't want to do a complete decarb, at least run Seafoam in the gas. I use 2oz. of Seafoam per gallon of gas on a routine basis.

Patate

Seaman

Go for it, I have the same engine, did it and few times since I buy it used 4 years ago, a charm now.
Did it with my old Homelite chainsaw, run like a new !

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

decarb, ever get constipated, seafoam is the relief you motor needs.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Piston taken from an engine that the PO ran for 12 years, lots of trolling and never had a decarb treatment.

no1%20piston.jpg

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek: That owner didn't forget to add oil now and then did he/she?

jonesg

Admiral

To see how much crap is on your rings take the compression before and after decarbing, it will probably increase compression 10psi.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Had been boating all my life. Knew nothing about Sea Foam. Got on this site and picked up a lot of chatter about it. Engine was purring like a kitten, but decided to add it to the fuel anyway. After a couple of tanks it was obvious it was the thing to do and it is in my fuel always now. It even cleaned the carbon out of the exhaust port in my prop. Works good as a fuel preservative too. It's on sale at most automotive supply stores.

Mark