Johnson or Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm planning to replace my outboard and my choices at this time is a 1985 Johnson 85hp V4 or a mid 70's Mercury 115hp I6. Both come with tilt / trim and controls. Both are in good running condition. I don't know which way to go. Which gets better gas consumption? Most reliable? Simplest to repair? Parts Availability?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson or Mercury

Close. I think those 30 additional horses in the Merc would add weight and need more fuel, but that is nit picking.

I am an OMC guy, so I would go with the Johnny.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I vote Johnson! My old 81 is still running strong and has never been rebuilt.
That and the fact i hate working on those old Mercs..

This will be like a Chevy verses Ford thread...:eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If both are in equal condition then my personal preference would be the Johnson.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I would also go with the Johnson. The mid-eighties Johnsons were very simple, clean and well built motors. I had an 85 Johnson 30hp and an 85 Merc/Mariner 50hp. I was very impressed by the design of the Johnson compared to the merc from that era.

The v4 will definitely use less fuel. 2 or 3 gallons per hour less at WOT. You have to think about your boat too; i.e. try to stay above 70% of the plate rating or you will have to run that motor hard to get the performance you want.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Double check the year on the Johnson. They didn't have an 85hp model in 1985....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you will be able to get replacement parts for the Johnson, long after the mercury has died, due to NLA parts.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After a closer look, it may be a mid 70's Johnson 85. Owner didn't have a lot of info and comparing it to the Merc it looked more modern so I was questimating year. Style does look more like the mid 70's Evinrude I had 10 years ago. I did like that motor a lot and ran great but only owned it for a year. Johnson and Evinrude are close to the same motors aren't they? So, with this new info, Are we still leaning towards the Johnson?

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If both engines are in comparable condition, I'd vote Johnson also. But as the man said, this is a Ford vs Chevy type question.

And yes, Johnson and Evinrude are nearly identical.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hmmmmmmmm.....

The Johnson is the same weight as the Merc so who ever said the chit about weight is wrong.

The Merc is a much more powerful engine, (even if the Johnnyrude were a 115).

More power burns more fuel, IF YA GET ON IT. Some here don't like that flexability n' they buy 4 pokes.

The Johnson may have the "electric shift" depending on the actual year, VERY BAD SYSTEM WITH LOTS OF TROUBLES.

The Merc looks much better if the two are in shape to show their factory looks.

Someone said that the Johnny will have parts longer then the Merc. WRONG.

OMC has been through bankrupcy, (primarily due to the trouble with electric shift I mentioned), and has had multiple owners over the years. Methinks you will be able to get parts for the largest selling, (talkin' volume of sales), high powered outboard in history on this particular planet. N' the parts from 1962 to 1988 bolt right up in most cases.

No corntest. I would much rather have a much more powerful much more beautiful Black girl of the same weight with far greater power, then an ol' electric shift Johnnyrude any old day of any old week of any old year!!!!

Butt: I do have one functional brain cell!!!! :D:D (No offence to those who said the silly wrong chit, as some are Mods n' all). ;)

Respectfully, and I do mean it. JR

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hands down the merc is easy to look at. I'm running a Merc 115 now but its without tilt and trim. I've found its almost cheaper to buy a boat/motor with tilt/trailer combo than just the tilt trim setup. Pull the engine and components and sell the boat and Trailer.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hands down the merc is easy to look at. I'm running a Merc 115 now but its without tilt and trim. I've found its almost cheaper to buy a boat/motor with tilt/trailer combo than just the tilt trim setup. Pull the engine and components and sell the boat and Trailer.

jbjennings

Captain

Merc has a good point on the electric shift and if the motor you're looking at has it I wouldn't want it, but I personally think the johnson is a much better motor in this case than the I6 if it doesn't have electric shift. I also think that those I6's are bad about getting low compression on one cylinder and there's a pile of them that are that way (just from what I've read about them for quite a while---I'm no merc I6 expert.)
I also think the Mercs have a lot of high-dollar electrical parts, and if the Merc is pre-76, it may have a mild steel drive shaft which is notorious for getting pitted and not holding a seal, thereby letting water get in the lower unit.
No doubt the I6's are sharp looking, fast, powerful motors. I just think it would be much more difficult to get a good, reliable one vs. an OMC motor. The evinrude and johnson in those years are pretty much the same. There's a lot of reasonable used parts for the johnsons from my experience.
JBJ

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The OMC electric shifts (electromechanical and hydroelectrics) were produced for a time in the late 60's through the mid-70's. They worked well until water got in the gearcase, which will always happen eventually. OMC did not go bankrupt until 2000. The FICHT engine and Cobra outdrive fiasco is really what did them in, as well as Brunswick only putting Mercs (sometimes Force/Mercs) on their boat packages. OMC really needed to downsize (and make quality products) in response to Brunswick/Mercury Marine's overwhelming (near monopoly) market share advantage and dealer network. OMC didn't respond, went under, and BRP bought them.
That said, the Merc 115 I-6 will absolutely blow the doors off of the Johnson 85. The Merc may also get better fuel mileage to boot, as the OMC V4's can be thirsty beasts. I wouldn't let the (old) Merc touch salt water, however, or it will be a black boat anchor before long......

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So get us the model number off the transom bracket of the Johnson and we will see just what it really is.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Jbjennings states: Merc has a good point on the electric shift and if the motor you're looking at has it I wouldn't want it,

They, (OMC), made that junk fer many years JBJ!!!!

but I personally think the johnson is a much better motor in this case than the I6 if it doesn't have electric shift.

Nawh yer dreamin'. Merc sold more inline6s, (high powered outboards), then any other manufacturer in history, (by a significant margin), me friend. That happened fer a reason, all you feller's ancedotal info asside. They were the very best engines in the world of that era, (n' still are the very best, [BTW :D ;) :D ]).

I also think that those I6's are bad about getting low compression on one cylinder

If ya don't keep an eye on yer tell tale n' change out the impeller from time to time. Johnnyrudes dropped cylinders when they had bad impellers too there: young feller. wink wink.

and there's a pile of them that are that way (just from what I've read about them for quite a while---I'm no merc I6 expert.)

Read about 'em eh???? I own a bunch of 'em n' yer cracked. Stick ta what ya know when opinin' about matters me friend!!! ;) :D

I also think the Mercs have a lot of high-dollar electrical parts,

As do Johnnyrudes n' Yammadingers et al. The inline6s electrical stuff is nearly bullet proof, (in case ya wondered), so it is real rare ya gotta buy a cdi et al.

and if the Merc is pre-76, it may have a mild steel drive shaft which is notorious for getting pitted and not holding a seal, thereby letting water get in the lower unit.

Good point. Least they're not 'lectric shifts, n' they run real good in fresh water.

No doubt the I6's are sharp looking, fast, powerful motors.

Yup.

I just think it would be much more difficult to get a good, reliable one vs. an OMC motor.

Nope, not hard at all JBJ. Me 40 year old girls look good fire on all six n' eat Johnnyrudes fer breakfast lunch n' dinner. THEY ARE RELIABLE!!!!! I know I run a bunch of 'em!!!!!

The evinrude and johnson in those years are pretty much the same.

Yup.

There's a lot of reasonable used parts for the johnsons from my experience.

Lot's more Merc inlines as soooooooo many more were sold. wink wink

JBJ

Only an opinion as ol' TG useta say "yer milage may vary", Respectfully, JR

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

in this case id go for the merc!now for the rest ,what a bunch a unmitigated crap about the electic shifts !i now have my 3rd one .first 2 were 55 hp johnny and 55 rude ,put tons and i mean tons of hours on them with nary a problem.as a matter of fact we wacked a rock with the rude ,cracked the lower housing all to heck got her welded and used her for many years after with no problems.a lot of the problems with elect shift were owner induced,wrong lower unit fluid,low or poor batteries ,etc.as oldmercsrule is so fond of saying i know from experience not just from hear-say!my newest electshift is 46 years old and still ticking!p.s. you think its hard to find parts for a i6, try finding parts for a 63 75 electshift.ya got to love em or you,d go nuts,lol.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Cougar1985 states: in this case id go for the merc!

Looks like we agree again!

now for the rest ,what a bunch a unmitigated crap about the electic shifts !

I had ta defend me Black girls somehow there: Cougar! I'm not sure why the predjudice against 'em, butt: it sure does exist. You'd think Jessie HyJackson n' Al NotsoSharpton would notice! :D :D As you know: I actually like Johnnyrudes.

i now have my 3rd one .first 2 were 55 hp johnny and 55 rude ,put tons and i mean tons of hours on them with nary a problem.as a matter of fact we wacked a rock with the rude ,cracked the lower housing all to heck got her welded and used her for many years after with no problems.

Are those ol' 55s the 3 cylinder loopers that were catigory killers n' ate Merc 650s n' such? ;) :D

a lot of the problems with elect shift were owner induced,wrong lower unit fluid,low or poor batteries ,etc.

Sooooooooooo true. The ol' Black girls get the same disrespect, (which I'm actually kinda happy about even though I defend 'em, as I'm able to pick 'em up, [I collect good runnin' purdy Black girls], soooooooo cheap).

as oldmercsrule is so fond of saying i know from experience not just from hear-say!

10-4

my newest electshift is 46 years old and still ticking!

My oldest runnin' Black girl is me 1967 950!!! Look out any Johnnyrude, as she is on a 15.x' very light n' sleak Bayhole, (Bayliner), n' generally eats anything around that is only rated at 50% more power give or take a wee bit, ('specially any 4 poke :D :D ).

p.s. you think its hard to find parts for a i6, try finding parts for a 63 75 electshift.ya got to love em or you,d go nuts,lol.

10-4. Me thinks we agree again on most points: Cougar1985

I have read these posts here on iboats fer a few years n' usually when similar shape engines are available most recommend the poster ta go fer more power. In this example: 35% more power; same weight; same corntrolls n' holes in the transom, (as the poster claims ta run a tall Black girl now), both engines have relatively good reputations, (even though I picked on the Johnnyrude ta equalize things a bit), n' the majority of 'sage advice' is ta go fer the slow, heavy hog v-4. Sheeeeeeesh I say.

I'll bet if ya did the werk ta put a 115hp (@ the crank Johnnyrude) v-4 on the same hull, (both with power trim), the Merc would give ya better hole shot n' top speed @ wot if ya set both engines up optimally. wink wink

Me overpriced $.02. Respectfully, JR

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

couple of years ago i sold a 1964 65 hp merc and i will say other then it was a short shaft she was a great running motor!i checked the parts av for i6,s and their still avalible to a good degree.we got to remember with all our older motors the parts are getting harder to find year after year.dont be afraid of the merc just because she has 6 cylinders, they made lots of them and they were good motors as far as im concerned, and im a rude dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.