16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

The windshield will have to wait along with the steering wheel...you guys are worse than a hottie on a date...."hey lets get this really expensive wine along with the lobster and steak..." I'm planning on telling my accountant about this project in 20 years or so...he will just laugh then...."you spent how much back then? On that old boat!" Speaking of spending I took the day off and went in search of odds and ends parts. I came up with the idea of getting a piece of stainless to trim up the carpet on the seats at the top. Naturally the local supplier was out of stock....but I should get it Tuesday. So that kind of thew a wrench in the gears on finish the seats. The throttle / shifter cables are ordered and I spent about an hour tweaking the mount for the controls. I was planning on putting carpet on it, but I have extra vinyl from the seats left over....think I will just cover it in that. It should look pretty sharp!

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

After spending most of the day rounding up "stuff"....mostly looking for stuff, I got to the shop and started on step one...then realized that I need some stainless bolts I didn't pick up.....back to Ace, got the bolts.....got to the truck, remembered some other bolts I needed....headed back in.... the girl at the register said something along the lines of "didn't take long for you to make it back here........" Anyhow I finally got rolling about 5. Most of it was fitting the seats and controls. I also built up the bilge with some duraglass so that it is almost flush with the bottom of the drain tube (thanks again Bankfisher). Tomorrow I'm going to glass it, just to have a smooth surface. I finished up the night by using west systems Six-10 epoxy to glue down the clip angle cleats that will secure the seat to the deck. I want to minimize the screws into the new floor....don't want any water in there after all that work! I talked with West Systems and they said it would work fine....I also did some calcs on thermal expansion of the glass and aluminum, shouldn't be an issue as short as the pieces are.

IMG_0244.jpg

I also made some brackets to support the steering cable and throttle / shifter cables. Tomorrow I'm planning on trying to tie up loose ends on the wiring and other details. I hope everyone is having a great Friday night!

Oh yeah Mick, just send me a check and I will get started on the seats....:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco, I almost forgot to tell you how all this started. Two years ago my girlfriend and I were sitting on the porch at my lake place after a long day of playing.....about an hour before sundown. There are a number of docks across the cove....one of which is an old rusty enclosed one. I saw a lady in her 30's walk out to it with a young boy...10 or 12. The next thing I know the door creaks open and a Infinity about Miss Morgans size backs out with a big black Merc tower on it.....that is when I knew I needed one! The searay is great for taking out a group...but that Infinity looked like too much fun. That fall I bought Miss Morgan...now you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would have said! I miss him by the way, we used to listen to him on the way to the lake on Friday afternoons!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I spent most of today doing odds and ends..a little wiring....some epoxy to waterproof the seat frames....glass work in the bilge. Nothing to exciting, but one more step to splash down! Here is a video I made to update you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJxGQ-N0kxM

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice video arch! I'm thinking I am going to do the same thing with the bilge area. Yeh- you can never get away from glassing until its on the water I guess:mad:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Found this on Craigslist....very temped to drag another boat home......"Hi my name is Archbuilder.....I have a boat problem"......

1737306000.html

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

lol-047.gif

another addict!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey arch,

Having problem with your pic. Getting a red X

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

ah I guess they took it off since it was a craigslist link....it was a 26' sleek like vegas's.....I think that will be what I replace the searay with, guess I should get this one done first!

captmello

Captain

Found this on Craigslist....very temped to drag another boat home......"Hi my name is Archbuilder.....I have a boat problem"......

1737306000.html

Been following your build all winter. Nice Job.

that Sleek is great. I'm a big fan of that powertrain as well.:cool:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Not a whole lot to report today. I cut the seat hinges to lenght, drilled them, then mounted the seat bottoms. I also filled a few exposed voids in the seat frames. Tomorrow I plan on sanding the exposed wood down, then putting one more coat of epoxy on them to seal them up. Mowing the yard and cleaning up tree branches took up most of the day :( But it needed to be done. I should get the depth finder tomorrow and the shifter / throttle cables Wednesday....Hopefully Max will be rumbling again by the end of the week. I should be able to get her in the water in about a week I think....:D So I have been thinking about christening her...I'm thinking one of those big bottles of Corona would do the trick! She is after all a weekend lake boat.....all about the beach and fun!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

You lucky dog! I got three weeks till schools out so that's when I'm shooting for!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the video update arch. You are certainly getting there. Had to laugh when you mentioned the steering wheel everyone hates.

Myself, I see something a little exotic - like a nice polished wood Nardi wheel on there. Spokes match the gauge bezels and the black stripe matches Max. Done and Done. :D

nardiwheel.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice looking wheel....but tonight I was thinking more about getting her in the water! Hmmm maybe I can get that done this week...assuming I can get some help, and the planets align.....LOL If the cables fit, we can fire Max up on Hump day, then maybe hit the lake on Thursday or Friday if the weather is good, who knows in OK! We have the most volatile weather in the world, I swear! 2 miles north of me they had hail that would total a car tonight.....I got sprinkles for 5 minutes!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
The boat is really Looking nice. Miss Morgan is getting soooooo close.
As always the video was much appreciated.
Keep it rolling.
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice video Arch,

She's really looking good. Especially in the shot dreaming of the lake in front of her. The bow looks like glass. Good match on the upholstery too it's all blending very well.:cool:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Guys.....I e-mailed the guy about the sleek :D Hmm may need to sell the searay soon and add on to the shop!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

No work on the boat tonight....brushhoged my field....Hopefully tomorrow night Max will get his decals...and the rub rail will get finished up. I also got the depth finder today! :D

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat is really looking nice Arch. You are doing a great job on it, and still waiting to see it all put together.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Netmatrix, I want to see her together too! Hopefully tomorrow I will get the shifter cables...tonight David K and I heated and beat the other section of rub rail around the transom. It came out really good, unfortunatly I'm 6" short on one side and 3" short on the other :( Oh well I can get a 6' piece shipped via UPS. Big Matt also put on Max's stickers! Looks very sexy! If all goes well splash down should be early next week!

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Triton II

Commander

Didn't know you were building the replacement for the Space Shuttle! That thing is going to FLY! :D