35 johnson pops out of gear after water pump replacement

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 1979 35 Johnson outboard model# 35EL79A. I replaced the water pump which requires lower unit R&R and now it pops out of gear occasionally in forward especially at high rpms. The gear lever also moves back when this happens. Did I bend the shift linkage or something. How can I check to make sure everything is adjusted properly. I adjusted the cable a bit more forward bias, but have yet to test to see if this fixed it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 35 johnson pops out of gear after water pump replacement

Hello, I have a 1979 35 Johnson outboard model# 35EL79A. I replaced the water pump which requires lower unit R&R and now it pops out of gear occasionally in forward especially at high rpms. The gear lever also moves back when this happens. Did I bend the shift linkage or something. How can I check to make sure everything is adjusted properly. I adjusted the cable a bit more forward bias, but have yet to test to see if this fixed it.

You didn't happen to turn the shift rod while it was out? It screws into to shift yoke, I doubt you bent it if went back together.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I didnt turn the shift rod. It is turned all they way in tight. and thats how it was when I took it apart. Could adjusting the cable like I did help?

Also forgot to mention it stared having another problem possibly related where on rare occasions if it dies while in gear like when I hit a stump at idle, It is VERY hard to pull out of gear into neutral.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You could have something going on in the gear case. You mention cable , i am assuming you have a remote setup. Have you tried disconnecting the cable to find out if it does it while in manual mode?

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could have something going on in the gear case. You mention cable , i am assuming you have a remote setup. Have you tried disconnecting the cable to find out if it does it while in manual mode?

Hmm. Im not sure what manual mode or remote setup is...But I will try disconnecting the cable and shifting at the motor myself.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Manual- shifting the motor at the motor
Remote- a cable connected to a remote throttle control

So you shifted it manually then. And it never did this before the pump change or you never had it out on the lake before the pump change. Just sounds too coincidental, re and reing a lower unit wouldn't cause it to jump out of gear unless the shift rod got bent somehow.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Manual- shifting the motor at the motor
Remote- a cable connected to a remote throttle control

So you shifted it manually then. And it never did this before the pump change or you never had it out on the lake before the pump change. Just sounds too coincidental, re and reing a lower unit wouldn't cause it to jump out of gear unless the shift rod got bent somehow.

OK let me clarify a little I did NOT try manualy shifting it to eliminate the cable adjustment as a problem.

What I believe it could be is the shift rod clamp was pretty corroded and hard to push the rod into, so I could get the pinch bolt in. what I did was had a friend push forward hard on the lever while I held the clamp with a long pair of needlenose pliers. I'm guessing maybe I bent the shift rod.

Lower unit was rebuilt less than a year ago and has shown no problems up until now.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's possible, if you look at how much metal is on a shift dog where it engages into the gear it's millimeters worth, any small amount of bending of the rod would throw the shifting off. I would personally pull the lower unit back off and inspect for anything that my have been bent, I wouldn't continue to run it like that. Sorry I misread your post. I'd say if it didn't do it prior to the change than something on reassembly caused the issue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

From what i have read I would be leaning toward the shift rod.
Just my thoughts though.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bolt in the brass linkage piece is more than a "pinch bolt". The Lower end of the shift rod has a cut on the end giving it the appearance of a ball. The ball has to slide into the link piece far enough for the bolt to key the rod into the link (coupler). The bolt's diameter just fits into the undercut in the rod to key it. I would almost bet that is where your problem is especially considering the difficulty you had with it on reassembly. The shift rods are pretty stout and would be nearly impossible to bend with a pair of needle nose pliers. Good luck!:)

lindy46

Captain

If the shift rod did not push far enough up into the coupler, then forward gear would not engage properly.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the shift rod did not push far enough up into the coupler, then forward gear would not engage properly.

Good call but with some effort it slid into the correct position where the bolt slides into the notch. So Im pretty sure thats not the issue.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys. Im looking for some ideas on what to check so I can figure out the problem. Any tests or anything would be helpfull. I got everything on my boat going perfect right now exept for this issue. Adjusting the cable didnt help.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Could it really be a slightly bent shift rod? is there any way to verify this?

lindy46

Captain

If the shift rod is straight and adjusted properly, then I'd be looking at the clutch dog/forward gear. You say the L/U was rebuilt - what was done to it?

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the shift rod is straight and adjusted properly, then I'd be looking at the clutch dog/forward gear. You say the L/U was rebuilt - what was done to it?

Replaced forward gear, clutch dog, and seals and bushings.

I think I found the problem though. I got to looking and the linkage piece that bolts to the motor and the cable hooks to it. Well this piece has a lot of play both in and out about a half inch, and front to back about an inch.

So I am thinking the issue may be whatever is in the center section that couples the lever on the motor with the linkage inside. Hopefully you can understand what im talking about. I removed the lever on motor and someone had inserted some cheap shims to help take up the play, but I really dont think they were really doing anything. So I adjust the lever so it shifts deeper into forward and it seemed to clear up the problem. It worked great all day today until right before I went home it popped out once. So Im not 100 percent sure thats the only issue. and I think the check balls in the clutch dog should be sufficient to hold it in gear but im not sure. I stretched the spring a bit on the bar that goes to the neutral switch seeing if that will help hold it in gear a bit. but it still doesn't hold much pressure on it. Well now that i've thorougly confused everyone im off.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Forward gear and clutch dog were replaced? Were they new parts?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Trust me you just did and I hope everyone else on this forum follows my lead, you are ignorant.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trust me you just did and I hope everyone else on this forum follows my lead, you are ignorant.

Ignorant means you think you know it all right? Well I dont know it all. and you know a lot more than I on this subject. just feels like im going in circles with this.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well it can mean 2 things, I'm thinking being rude and no I don't know everything. The reason I asked if they were new is some on here find it more cash friendly to buy a used forward gear and clutch dog than new. Putting in used parts can lead to the same symptoms. I wouldn't have replaced the parts, like you said in your first post, you replaced the impeller and now it's doing it. Why would the motor start popping out of gear after an impeller replacement, you don't touch the gears when replacing an impeller, the only thing you touch is the shift rod. If the shift rod isn't lined up properly when it's reassebled and the lengths are not right you will start popping out of gear. Now the question and answer as you so love my methods, was the clutch dog and gear shot or were they perfectly fine?