Any Honda auto techs around?

i386

Captain
I have a '97 Honda Civic DX (2 door hatch back or 3 door which every way you want to look at it)

The check engine light came on and my mechanic (not dealer) wanted $300 to replace the forward O2 sensor.

I ordered a new sensor for $60.

Upon removing the heat shield, I see a crack in the exhaust manifold. The crack is in the center and runs right into the O2 sensor threads.

The attached pic is not my engine but it looks exactly like that. It's my understanding this is a common problem on this model.

I have unconfirmed information that there is a recall on this if you have a D16Y7 engine with less than 160K miles.

My Civic has 140K miles. The engine is a D16Y7. The exhaust manifold and cat are one piece. There are 9 studs in the head that hold the manifold and looks like 2 or 3 bolts in the flange that mate the cat with the exhaust pipe.

I don't think I would trust a weld there. There are replacement manifold+cats online for under $200. But if there's a recall...

Attachments

• Exhaustcracked.jpg
    Exhaustcracked.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0

dolluper

Captain
Re: Any Honda auto techs around?

So Maguyfer it pull the o2 sensor ,clean the crack up and JB weld or new steel it<throw back in O2 sensor 70 bone fix [O2 =60 .10= jb} ....your old O2 may still be ok

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first question is, What did the mecanic say the check engine light meant? Why did it turn onp for? Make sure your O2 sensor is shot before replacing it.

If there's a recall and you don't have to put any money out of pocket, I say try and get it fixed for free.

Now, the manifolds are cheap and you already have the O2 sensor, so replace it yourself. It will be pretty cheap to do so. Or, you can go on ebay or craiglslist and find an inexpensive used OEM manifold that has no cracks on it.

You can always repair it with jb weld but i dont know how long it will last. if your gonna repair it use the liquid steel epoxy. kinda like jb weld but not. i've seen jb weld break and have not seen the steel epoxy break at all. now if you repair it make sure it doesn't have an exhaust leak.

my 2 cents hope it helps.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB weld good for 600* . Gonna see a lot more than that...

i386

Captain

The check engine light was because of the O2 sensor. He double checked it with his multimeter. They didn't catch the crack in the manifold because you can't see it unless the heat shield is removed. Maybe the crack caused the sensor to fail or maybe it was just its time.

$170 shipped on eBay and comes with gaskets. Best price I've seen...

i386

Captain

Yea, I'm coming up with the same thing.

I think I'll just fix it myself. It shouldn't be too bad as long as nothing breaks when I take it off. It'll take out the O2 sensors with the manifold in the vice and make sure to keep up with which one is which. Should be easier that way. I'll let some PB Blaster soak on the fasteners overnight and heat the nuts with a torch prior to removing them. Not much else you can do I suppose.

In the mean time, if anyone knows the torque spec and tightening order on those 9 nuts that hold the manifold on...

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Any leak upstream of the O2 sensor will set a O2 sensor code. Fix that first.

Wish you luck, exhaust bolt's can be a real pita.:eek:

Keep us posted, we like problem's.:p

i386

Captain

Just a follow up here. This one's fixed. I've had bad luck in the past breaking bolts in hot parts, but not this time. The nuts holding the manifold on broke free pretty easily. I did have to use a cheater bar on the exhaust flange bolts but it wasn't too bad.

The funny part... I spent about an hour on my knees in front of the car trying to dig out the crush ring gasket from the exhaust flange. After I finally found something to pick at it with I was able to make a slit in it. Still I could never get a good enough bite on it to pull it out. Out of desperation I put the mapp torch on it for about 5 seconds and the ring literally jumped out of the groove and landed on the garage floor.:rolleyes: I might mount that ring on a piece of wood like a trophy.

Like Bill Dance says, "well ain't that a fine howdy do".:D

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for getting back! and congrats! :)
I wonder if there could be an icon for finished/ done/ completed/ moving on .
Suppose I should post that elsewhere, hey?:D