Johnson 1991-1994 VRO 140HP V4 overheat

Cruise Control

Recruit
Dear Expertism/s,

I have just purchase a boat with Johnson 140hp VRO V4 outboard motor on Cruise Craft half cabin.

I took it out and it's overheated in day one and really disappointed not sure how to fix the problem.

I did not hear the warning bells or whatsoever, after ran aground through low water with muds and weeds for 20 secs then engine got so hot with couple hose snapped off due to the heat from the engine. I believe this was done because of the heat generated from the engine. The two hose came off looked like they are from the VRO Cross-flow system. I could also see two wires loosen out and don't know where the two wires to installed back in. Any one could know what part number for these hose and connectors and how to fix the problem?

Many thanks in advance for your direction and help with this issues.

Regards,

Cruise Control

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1991-1994 VRO 140HP V4 overheat

You need to get a service manual for that motor and see where those hoses go, and what they do. You also should do a compression test on the cyinders to see if the motor has internal damage. You can fix the overheating problem quire easily, however, if the motor has low compression, that also needs to be fixed.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 1991-1994 VRO 140HP V4 overheat

Maybe you could photograph these hoses/wires and post it so that people can see them? That usually gets a lot of help on here when there is pictures.