What would cause these boats to do this?

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would cause these boats to do this?

Back in my Navy days we did something like that. We called it a crashback. We would go from full throttle(flank 3 or 35 knots) to all back full. The ship above in my avatar is the one. The entire fantail would go under, and the bow would just about lift out of the water.

Great fun was had by all!!

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool!!!! I think I'll do that in my boat! :rolleyes: Right after I stop my truck with a telephone pole.....

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually the Mastercraft was trying to execute a power turn or spin out for the camera. There was no skier anywhere. Sticking the bow under was unintended. The boat is fine.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

that is 100% safe in most of the smaller the smaller jet boats! MOST jet boats have an inner and outer hull. The inner hull is 100% sealed from the outer one, so even though you are sitting in chest deep water, the space between the hulls is perfectly dry. (where the engine(s) live) My jet boat also has 3 fairly large bilge pumps plus 2 engine powered suction pumps for this very reason. Two of the pumps are dedicated to the passenger compartment.

I have to admit, it is a little scary the first time you do it! Literally the passenger compartment is 100% full of water. Any wave just goes right over the side! The boats are designed to still float and recover even with a full load of passengers and water.

As far as damage, you actually don't need to throttle up much in reverse, and the reverse buckets are MASSIVE compared to a PWC. (and yes, no transmission or gears in a jet boat you are 100% connected to the drive propeller all the time) The only thing I would consider damage is that the backwash tends to flatten my sounder probe straight down. Have to stop later and readjust it if I want an accurate reading.

so... in a boat designed to handle it, its good clean fun, literally! In a conventional prop driven boat, it is an idiot with too much much wishing he had a jet boat.

I don't care how much you think you're right. You're not. Doing that is never 100% safe and the inner hull and outer hull are NEVER completely sealed, if that was true your motor wouldn't be able to actually breathe air.

Then throw in the fact that there are sharp objects on boats and jetboats that people can smash into. Furthermore you don't even need a sharp object for someone to smash their heads on to get hurt.

Just to poke another hole in your story. What jetboat do you have that has 3 bilge pumps.

100% safe? Sure buddy, feel sorry for your passengers.