need help installing tachnometer on 89' 85hp force

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I have a 1989 85 hp force. I just got a tach of ebay with support 20 pole(pic1).
I want to know how to install it on my motor(pic2)
just want to make sure I got everything right before I install it, don't want to borke the tach as 20 pole is hard to find nowaday. Thanks

What I know for now is that there is 3 connection on the tach (pic1). one to the ground and one to the battery. I am using the power supply from other guage so it should be fine. I just want to de sure I hook the signal connect to the right wire on the motor. it is the 2nd connector right(pic2)?

boat18.jpg

boat19.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: need help installing tachnometer on 89' 85hp force

Yes you are correct. Look for the other end of the gray wire in the wiring harness where it comes out under your dash.

foodfisher

Captain

The wire end under the dash could be folded back and covered with black tape, making it hard to find.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok will go in there tonight. Thanks

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

finished installing. too bad cannot test it till next year as my boat is winterize...... :(

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I know the feeling.....I have a new prop that I'd like to test but winter has set in and boat is also winterized. Ski areas (snow) around here are opening up a month early! I'd like to see some Global warming take effect here!