Minnkota's Digital Maximizer.. an other ?'s

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So since I know that i have to buy a new trolling motor, ive spent the day looking around at bass pro shop, academy, an walmart.. I came home an went to minnkota website an found the Minnkota Edge that ive interested in.. But it doesnt have the Digital Maximizer, but since all ive ever used is motorguide i dont know much about this... Im looking to buying the 70# thrust, an we I go fishing we normally stay out 8+ hours..

So my question's are.. Can you really tell a difference in trolling time between a trolling motor with and without the "Digital Maximizer"?

My old motorguide was a 45# 24v bruteforce, an I could use it 8+ hours with wind an everything an be fine.. Will there be a big difference in time I can troll with this being a 70# thrust motor?

And last question.. I cant find any reveiws on the 70# thrust so anyone who has one/or has had one please let me know how you feel about the trolling motor?

-Thanks in advance

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minnkota's Digital Maximizer.. an other ?'s

Comparing a new motor with a 24 volt 45# thrust is going to be a little difficult. You can't even buy a 45# 24 volt motor anymore and their really is no reason to. 12 volts powers most motors up to 55# thrust these days. Anything over that is 24 volts and then 36 volts in the really big motors. However, to answer your question about can you tell the difference between a maximizer and non-maximizer the answer is yes and no or "it depends". Maximizers (and the same technology from MotorGuide) pulses the motor rather than feeding it constant current. The slower you go the less power the motor needs (short pulses). With a standard motor, speed controls bleed off power which is simply wasted. However, if you run both motors at or very near wide open all the time, they will consume the same power. The savings comes at the lower speed settings. While I have no data to back up what I'm about to suggest -- since you have a 24 volt system, you might try a 24 volt maximizer and since it would run at low speed settings most of the time it may very well outrun your old 45# motor (both speed obviously and time).

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the input silver

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

90% of the time you won't be at max trottle on your trolling motor, the maximizer will extend your trolling time by 50% or more if your at 1/2 speed or less which is where most people use them. If you troll in fast current all the time I would buy a much larger motor that you can run at half speed as they are more efficient with the larger props and steeper pitch in fast current. Basically the adage is get a trolling motor big enough to run in the fastest current you encounter regularly run at half speed, if you have to run wide open with a 40pd unit now in fast current a 70-80pd is the proper upgrade to make...plus it gives you some manouvering speed to get around with which is your safety margin if something bad happens.

Another thing to consider is an AGM battery will hold voltage longer than a standard lead acid battery so they also extend your trolling time. Most people buy a trolling motor too small thinking they are saving battery energy but there is more efficiency running a larger motor at slow speeds than a small motor fast, the savings comes from water friction at the prop and the fact that electric motors make 100% torque even at low rpm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Only two engines/motors develop maximum torque at zero rpm. 1) a steam engine and 2) an electric motor. However, high torque from an electric motor is not achieved running it slow. It is merely consuming less current and therefore not developing high torque.

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so would it be best to also buy an onboard battery charger, an not get the one with the maximizer.. Im not trying to put a whole lot of money into the boat seeing its an older one that i may not have to much longer, before I get a newer one.

rndn

Commander

Go with the onboard charger, you won't regret it. If you spend good money on a trolling motor now, you can always take it with you to your next boat. Why spend the money twice?

fishrdan

Admiral

Digital / non-digital really depends on how long you want the trolling motor to run while on the water. A digital "can"] go up to 3x longer than the old speed coil style motor,,, "if "going slow. I had a digital transom mount and it could go all day on 1 battery where the old motor would burn through 2 batteries easily.

How much are you going to use the TM, that's the real question? My old 16.5' boat had a 24V 70# bow mount (non-digital) and I could fish all day without problems while using it for positioning. Constant running or trying to pull up current a lot, forget about it.

My experience with digital TM's wasn't good since the most important thing in a trolling motor for me is that it's quite. The digitals have a unique noise in the mid range, dead slow and full power are comparable with the old motors,,, but how often are you going dead slow or full? If you have ever worked with a stepper motor, it's the same type of noise as the motor receives the pulses of power. Put a digital and non-digital side by side and the digital will be noisier. Not a biggie for most people, but a deal breaker for me.

For the onboard charger, it makes charging the batteries easier while on land, but won't do anything for you on the water, unless you get something that can charge off the alternator, or an alternator charger. But then you are limited to the capacity of the alternator and how long you are running the main engine, most won't put a dent into a depleted battery unless you have a high capacity alternator. I didn't have an onboard charger on my old boat and never had problems charging the batteries, but it's a pain connecting and charging the batteries if using a clip-on charger. The best benefit of onboard chargers (in my eyes) is it's easy to charge the batteries,,, just plug in an extension cord. I'd venture to say most deep cycle batteries die because they are left in a discharged state for a long period of time, because it's a pain to connect the battery charger.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The on-board charger does nothing for you other than charge the batteries when you are at the dock. They do not prolong your time on the water so the Maximizer is the way to go for your application. As was pointed out, the maximizer is effective at slower speeds so how you troll depends on what you really need. Answer those questions in this order of importance.
1) How fast do I troll.
2) If always 1/2 speed or faster you don't need a maximizer.
3) How much power do I need? If you were happy with a 45# you will be happy with a 55# 12volt maximizer. Use your batteries in parallel to double run time.
4) How much money do I have to spend? Maximizers are expensive (especially 24 volt units) but that is how much you need to spend if thats what you feel you need.
5) Single and dual bank on-board chargers are a convenience -- they aren't necessary if you have a good quality portable charger and plug in at the dock. If you run 12 volts parallel you can get buy with a 10A or bigger single output charger. If you go 24 volts again you will need a dual output on-board charger or you will need to charge each battery individually with a portable charger. If it is any consolation, I run a 55# Minnkota Power Drive (maximizer) on my pontoon and it runs all day trolling slowly and position fishing on a large group 27 deep cycle.

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go with the onboard charger, you won't regret it. If you spend good money on a trolling motor now, you can always take it with you to your next boat. Why spend the money twice?

I have thought about actually, but would it not be a pain to take it off an all the wiring back out and all that?

How much are you going to use the TM, that's the real question? My old 16.5' boat had a 24V 70# bow mount (non-digital) and I could fish all day without problems while using it for positioning. Constant running or trying to pull up current a lot, forget about it.

The only I use the trolling motor, is to quietly get up to the area im fishing an to fish down the bank, normally we go with the wind so the wind normally ends up pusing us down the bank an we would use it to position ourselves if we get to bad of an angle to fish the bank.. But other times when thiers not much wind we use it a good bit.

Silver: I didnt know that about the onboard battery chargers, I havent really looked into them at all nor read anything about them, so thanks for telling me about them..

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this also..

fishrdan

Admiral

The only I use the trolling motor, is to quietly get up to the area im fishing an to fish down the bank, normally we go with the wind so the wind normally ends up pusing us down the bank an we would use it to position ourselves if we get to bad of an angle to fish the bank..

That's how I use my 70# non-digital bow mount, drift in the current or wind and position with the TM. I've been out for 2 days before (fishing 18-24 hours) and not run down the 2- group 29 batteries using it sparingly. But,,, I have trolled my old 2500# boat with a non digital 50# transom mount and it killed 2 group 29's in 3 hours, TM was working hard. If there's no wind/current I trolling off the main engine.

I've used portable battery chargers for years and for their price/output, you can't touch anything close in an onboard charger. I use 2- 20 amp electronic chargers for my jon boat batteries and they will completely charge the depleted batteries in 3-5 hours. Picked them up on clearance for $20/each :D The onboard charger going in the project boat, $300 :eek:

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to consider the newest accessory to come out for Minn Kotas, the I-Pilot.

I have been putting off buying a new TM for an I-Pilot equipped one, its sounds great for my uses. I have an old 42pd AP motor with autopilot and can't wait to try this new version.

Check it out, supposed to be released this month.

http://www.roofvis.tv/video-exclusief-op-roofvis.tv.-de-nieuwe-minnkota-i-pilot!-113

rndn

Commander

I have thought about actually, but would it not be a pain to take it off an all the wiring back out and all that?

Leave all of the wiring on the old boat. Unplug your motor, unbolt the motor, take the foot controller and walk away. If you have an onboard charger you may also want to take that, just leave the wires well marked for the next owner.