Painting????

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry if this info is already out there, my search came up with zero inquiries. Im am going to paint a 15.5 Kingfisher. The interior is already pained like I want. My question is if I use Interlux Brightside paint do I need to use a thinner? Can I open the can and start to paint or are the catalyst involved? I know there are more steps such as prepping but lets assume that is all taken care of. thanks.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting????

I think it is recommended that you thin Brightsides. When I painted mine with Brightsides I thinned it out. Depending on how much paint you have in the pan you may have to add more thinner while you are painting. You can tell when you need to thin again by the way the paint flows out while you are applying it. Without thinning it will go on thick and not flow out very quickly.

bigman28

Cadet

What did you use to thin the paint. I am going to use Brightsides paint also inside and out.

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

While I didn't use brightsides, I did use a urethane modified alkyd enamel which brightsides, easypoxy, and epifanes monourethane are. They all use
stoddard solvent aka mineral spirits and naphtha to thin their paints.
Do some research and you can find a suitable paint for 1/4-1/3 the cost of
the so called "marine paints" with the same basic composition (urethane modified alkyd resin).
Short answer use mineral spirits alone or in combination with naphtha
as alkyds are soluble in mineral spirits.
P.S. shermin williams and benjamin moore as well as others make this type
paint but keep it quiet we wouldn't want people to stop paying 3 or 4x the
price for the same paint thats been around since the 1940's!

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply, I better do my research today and tell my wife before she breaks out the credit card (x-mas present). With that being said, what about primers? Can these be bought there also.?

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as primers my boat is aluminum so the prefered primer is a zinc chromate primer but these vary greatly I ended up using napa 7222 zincrom
primer and it took 5 cans for 16' tinny but I probably wasted 1 can due to wind conditions. This product is marketed martin senour paints which I think is a subsidiary of shermin williams. The self etching zinc chromate primer would probably be better and can be ordered through boat and aircraft supply sites. If your boat is fiberglass I think the preferred primer is epoxy.
If you can find a industrial supply shermin williams store near you thats where
I'd call for suggestions. I researched paints primers and solvent thinners for
almost a month and got more confused the more I researched. You almost need a chemistry degree to understand some of these paints and their properties. The best thing I can tell you is compare MSDS and product data
sheets.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What did you use to thin the paint. I am going to use Brightsides paint also inside and out.

I started with the Interlux 333 brushing liquid. But I found that any mineral spirits works just as well. If your boat is already painted just rough up the existing paint with 220 grit and paint over the existing paint. I agree with bryanwess2000 zinchromate for bare aluminum. In the aircraft world we alodine bare aluminum and then zincromate primer.