solenoid wont send positive charge to starter

dueynetsell

Cadet
i have a 1989 175h hp evinrude. My engine will not crank and i only get a clicking sound from the solenoid. After charging the battery, cleaning cables, bolts, nuts etc. i have realized that the solenoid is not sending a positive charge to the starter. Does this just mean the solenoid can be replaced or can this be fixed within the solenoid?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: solenoid wont send positive charge to starter

replace.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

i have a 1989 175h hp evinrude. My engine will not crank and i only get a clicking sound from the solenoid. After charging the battery, cleaning cables, bolts, nuts etc. i have realized that the solenoid is not sending a positive charge to the starter. Does this just mean the solenoid can be replaced or can this be fixed within the solenoid?

I assume you have determined that it is not supplying 12V to the starter by using a voltmeter, right? If that is true, and as you say the solenoid is clicking, replace it. One thing that could fool you though is if there were a complete dead short within the starter. That would read 0 volts. But would also make hot cables, etc. And would be very rare.

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run jumper cables from the battery to the starter directly and make sure the starter will spin.

dueynetsell

Cadet

ya i tried to jump the starter last night by taking jumper cables from the battery to the starter and got nothing. But i really had no idea what i was doing and im guessing i was doing it wrong. could you or someone explain to me exactly how to jump the starter?

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Yes,
Connect the Red jumper cable to the Positive side of the battery and then take the other end of the Red jumper cable and touch it to the power lug on the starter. (Power lug is where the heavy cable from the solenoid connects to the starter.)
NOTE: MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS IN NEUTRAL BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

dueynetsell

Cadet

ya im pretty sure that i did exactly that and got nothing. Assuming everything was set up right would that mean that the starter is bad too?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Maybe just the starter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Maybe just the starter.

OR---it isn't grounded. Before you do that test, first ground the powerhead to the negative side of the battery with your other jumper cable.

IF it is grounded and you jump to the starter and it doesn't crank, you have a bad starter. OR a dead battery---Duh!. Nothing like doing the basics first.

You threw us a curve when you said you didn't have 12V to the starter. I figured you knew how to test stuff.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hook up the battery as you normally would.Be sure you got voltage to the starter.Jump the solenoid completly.Take an isulated wire and touch the to battery poles.The heavey guage wire on either side of the solenoid.The two small ones go to the switch.That will tell ya if the solenoid is good or not.

dueynetsell

Cadet

well i think i know how to use the voltmeter correctly but to be completely honest i know absolutely nothing when it comes to mechanical problems... When i connect the voltmeter to the negative and positive leads that go to the starter and the solenoid i get 12v. but when i hook the positive lead that goes from the solenoid to the starter and the negative lead to goes to directly to the starter up to the voltmeter i get 0v. so i figured that the solenoid was not giving any volts to the starter

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The solenoid will only put power to the other side when the key is turned to the start position using the ignition switch, you will always get 0v going to the starter when it's just sitting there or it would be turning over. The solenoid serves as a breaker between the battery and the starter. The wire going to the one small post on the solenoid is coming from the ignition switch, this is what "activates" or essentially closes the solenoid contacts.

Read this PDF to test

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech Solenoid Circuts & Testing.pdf

dueynetsell

Cadet

haha thanks bktheking i was testing it while it was just sitting there and it never dawned on me that if it was sending volts it would be cranking. all of this is new to me and i am sure will do plenty of more things like this. thanks again though, i will try it again the correct way tommorow.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No worries, that's why the forums exist, heck half of this stuff is new to me! Follow the tests in the pdf for the solenoid and you should be able to make a determination, it's either the $20 sol or the $200 starter!

dueynetsell

Cadet

alright well i checked the everything with the solenoid it all checks out good. so i am now trying to jump the starter and nothing is happening. is there anything else i can do? or does it just have to be replaced?

daselbee

Commander

alright well i checked the everything with the solenoid it all checks out good. so i am now trying to jump the starter and nothing is happening. is there anything else i can do? or does it just have to be replaced?

Take it to a starter rebuilder in your area. If that is not possible, I have one that could be your answer. PM me if you are interested.

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace the starter......................

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Your local auto electric shop can rebuild that starter for you.