Tahoe vs Four Winns??

sroland

Recruit
Looking at buying one of these 2 used boats. They are both 18' fish and skis. The Tahoe is a 2005 for $10k w/ 75 hours and the Four Winns is a 2003 with 200 hours for $12k. Any suggestions would sure help. Also what is the best way to "check the boat " prior to buying since they are both from private parties?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tahoe vs Four Winns??

Ayuh,.... The Tahoe is a mass produced Entry level boat... The 4-Winns is Not...

Tonka Boater

Cadet

The Tahoe is a mass produced Entry level boat... The 4-Winns is Not...

+1. $10k is too much for an '05 Tahoe. Nothing wrong with the Tahoe but you can find better deals out there. OK, I am biased but....in the price range that you mentioned, you should look at a Sea Ray 185 Sport. Much better quality and better resale. I am guessing it won't be older than '03 for that kind of money.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reletive to Four winns, tahoe's are junk.

Happy hunting.

Tonka Boater

Cadet

...tahoe's are junk.

I was trying to be diplomatic....might be more fair to say that Tahoe's are very entry level.

There are people (probably on this forum) that spent good money on a Tahoe and did so for a reason. They work...but in all honestly, the Four Winns is in a completely different class.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was trying to be diplomatic....might be more fair to say that Tahoe's are very entry level.

There are people (probably on this forum) that spent good money on a Tahoe and did so for a reason. They work...but in all honestly, the Four Winns is in a completely different class.

You have miss-quoted me.

In context, what I said was:

Snobike Mike said:
Reletive to Four winns, tahoe's are junk.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I think people tend to get too hung up on brand names of their boats. Like tashasdaddy said in an old thread that was recently revived, when it comes to used boats, the previous owners attention to care is way more important than the brand name.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think people tend to get too hung up on brand names of their boats. Like tashasdaddy said in an old thread that was recently revived, when it comes to used boats, the previous owners attention to care is way more important than the brand name.

Under another comparison I might agree but here given just two choices and little else to go on FW is simply a better boat. The bummer of it is I think Tahoes hulls look nice but that is all I can say positive. As for the Sea Ray Sport, there were some year they really cheapened them in the 2000's. Do both boats have the same power?

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

For what it's worth I have a 93 Four winns Horizon 190 LE and love the thing, It is very solid and still feels like a brand new boat, granted it has been garage kept since day one and only has 180 hours on it now. I wouldn't trade it for anything I am very happy with the quality of the boat. I can not really give anything on the Tahoe as I have never had the oppertunity of running one.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The power plant in both boats is just as important as who built the boat.

If the Tahoe has the 4.3 Mercruiser and the Four Winns has the 3.0 Mercruiser, I think it may a pretty close match as to which is a better buy.

Now, from experience I would also agree that the Four Winns is a better boat. Also, I would say it is likely the Four Winns has a Volvo Penta outdrive as it is very uncommon to find any Four Winns post 1988 with a Mercruiser....in fact it wasn't until about the 2002-2003 time frame after Genmar had the company for a little while that they reintroduced options for power other than the historic OMC offerings.

The original post is missing some critical information:

Model number/Length of each boat
Powertrain of each boat
Physical Condition
Maintenance history

Tonka Boater

Cadet

True if you are talking about a quality product to begin with. Fact is, some boats are just plain cheap and no amount of detail will make it less cheap. Thin fiberglass, cheap fittings, etc are what make it cheap...not the upkeep.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does the 03 Four Winns have the outboard? If so, then where are you boating (fresh or salt water?). Where are you fishing, shallower or deeper?

If the 03 Four Winns is the outboard edition, that sure helps with maintenance costs and its the better choice in salt water.

It was pointed out that Tahoe is mass produced production level. Both boats power trains are mass produced production level. One should be volvo, one merc. Do you have more merc or volvo dealers around you?

In the end, get the one that looks best maintained and has the most goodies added, unless an outboard is in play.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yes...we need more info on each and some pics would get us excited.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I have an older FW so I am partial to them...and having climbed around both a new Tahoe and new FWs at the boat show last year...there is big difference...the deck in the Tahoe flexed from just walking on it...the one in the FW did not...new the FW is a much more expensive boat...compare power options and also do you have decent local service on whatever boat/power package you choose...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Does the 03 Four Winns have the outboard?

I highly doubt that. They didn't make many outboards to begin with. Finding a nice used one for sale is tough....I should know. I have scoured the midwest/great lakes for one all year....I settled for the older/cheaper Larson in my sig.

However, either could be an outboard. Tahoe also makes an outboard fish and ski 17' boat.

We need more detail from the orginal poster.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Saw one for sale on line in Minnesota yesterday. I have a buddy in Tampa looking for an 18-20 foot outboard boat, but Minnesota is too far!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

My username on this forum gives away my opinion on this matter.

It's difficult to compare on an apples to apples basis here because there is little to no detail on either craft. Bring on the pics and the detail and it will help the evaluation here among "us experts."