when did outboards get complicated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice
as a new boat owner it seems for the average do it yourself guy, the older outboards like my 1970 mercury are pretty easy to do basic repairs on yourself, so what year or decade did the outboard become not so user friendly for folks like me, like on older cars you can change spark plugs and give oil changes yourself, where todays cars it's not so easy to do.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: when did outboards get complicated ?

When everbody started worrying about pollution control and fuel efficiency, but everything comes at a price, like cost, weight, complexity and maintenance. Just progress, I guess. Good Luck!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you have to put a definitive date on it, 67 or 68 when Chrysler introduced electronic ignition to outboards.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have an '85 Suzuki and it still seems simple to me. Yeah, it has oil injection and electronic ignition, but is still old 2stroke technology, simple... I would say that really got complicated when they started adding EFI, DFI, HPDI, etc. to these things. To many electronics that run in the water tends to cause a problem...

robert graham

Admiral

I believe the electronic ignition has to be one of the best developments in outboard motors. I remember dad's 1950's Johnson Seahorse 10HP with ignition points, if it even clouded up to rain, that motor would know it and maybe cut off. And the points seemed out of the way and forgotten about until they quit. My 1999 Yamaha 90HP, 2 stroke premix motor is pretty darn simple compared to some of these HPDI, etc. motors and if I can just feed it clean, fresh, stabilized fuel, it will most likely run like a top. Geezer motor!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

1909 - Ole Evinrude develops one of the first commercially successful outboard motors. Open flywheel, a handle on top to start, single cylinder, single set of points, battery ignition, direct drive.

It's been downhill ever since. First, someone decides to add another cylinder to "make the engine smoother and more powerful". Translates to more moving parts.

Then someone adds a rewind starter, because those starter ropes are always getting lost in the bilge.

Then someone adds a magneto, because those battery ignitions can be troublesome, particularly when the battery goes flat.

Then someone adds underwater exhaust, because those darn outboards are making our peaceful lakes too noisy.

Then someone adds two more cylinders, because two cylinders are just too dang slow.

Then someone adds electric starting, because pulling all those cylinders over by hand isn't conducive to selling motors to anyone but those over 6'2" and 250 lbs.

And all that "complication" was done by 1930!

By 1950 we had full gearshifts, remote fuel tanks and fully shrouded powerheads!

Complication is the way of the world - engineers have to do SOMETHING...

OldMercsRule

Captain

TOHATSU GURU states: If you have to put a definitive date on it, 67 or 68 when Chrysler introduced electronic ignition

CHRYSLER???? WHAAAAAAAAT?????? I want some of what yer smokin'!!!!! :D

Mercury had the first CDI. N' exhaust thru prop. N' that was not cornplicated at all, actually much more simple and reliable ignition then points n' magnetos n' such et al.

to outboards.

EDIT: Please avoid political commentary, OMR. Thanks, JB

Somewhere in the early to mid 1990s in North America, (took a while fer the kool aid ta take effect with boaters who generally liked the two stroke fumes).

The rest of the world is still somewhat sane, as the kool aid mainly flows here in the good ol' US of A.

Chrysler me arse!!! :rolleyes:

Me overpriced $.02. JR

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I pretty much agree with Chinewalker. I really hate those electronic ignition systems when it costs more than a good motor ought to cost just to fix minor faults.

A Phelon magneto on a little JohnnyRude twin suits me just fine, and I can live without oil injection, EFI, DFI, ETC.

The peak of greatness in outboards was the JW series JohnnyRude with integral tank and recoil start. Complex enough to be infinitely user friendly but simple enough to be. . . you ready for this?. . .infinitely user friendly.

All of the complexities were brought about by people who insisted on having a floating living room or a death defying bassrocket that would go twice as fast as any reasonably sane person wants to go on water.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

All of the complexities were brought about by people who insisted on having a floating living room or a death defying bassrocket that would go twice as fast as any reasonably sane person wants to go on water.

Well said...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Old Mercs - actually Mercury was NOT the first to through-hub exhaust. ELTO beat them by about 40 years...

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

OldMercsRule,

EDIT: Quoted deleted material JB

And this is based on what, BRP's propaganda videos? Compare some performance reports. HP and top speed are the same. Two strokes do make more midrange torque and holeshot is better, though this may soon change. http://www.yamahagamechanger.com/

EDIT: Quoted deleted troll

Now I know you're dreaming. My 115 Tower of Power pushed my 15-1/2 runabout 40 MPH tops. My 4-stroke Merc 115 pushed my 17 ft aluminum Crestliner 45 MPH, and My Yamaha F-150 pushes my heavy 18-1/2 ft Ranger over 50 MPH. So unless you're old black girl runs well over 50 you're not blowin' by my heavy pig.

Respectfully,
jevery

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The response to this question is relative as to one?s acceptance or progression into the 21st century.

If you?re still plowing with horses, a tractor might be complicated. If you?re still using kerosene lamps, a light bulb might be complicated. If you still have a rotary dial phone, a cell phone might be complicated. :D

OldMercsRule

Captain

Jevery states:

OldMercsRule,

And this is based on what,

Yer own werds fer one! :D See below, (in bold).

BRP's propaganda videos?

Ya talkin' bout kool aid? MMM...MM...M

Compare some performance reports.

MMM...MM..M Ya like the taste o' kool aid I see. Yasureyabetcha. BTW: I have a bridge fer sale, n' it floats!!! :D

HP and top speed are the same.

On what planet: Mars?

Two strokes do make more midrange torque and holeshot is better,

SEE ^^^^^ That means two strokes have MORE POWER does it not? Hmmmmmmmmm...........??????? :rolleyes:

though this may soon change.

Yup n' I'm gonna become the tooth fairy real soon as well. ;)

http://www.yamahagamechanger.com/

Now I know you're dreaming.

Got some smoke? The ol' Murkster like's ta dream. Unless it is tooooo powerful fer me single functional brain cell ta survive.

My 115 Tower of Power pushed my 15-1/2 runabout 40 MPH tops.

What a pig, Were ya runnin' it at 3500 WOT with a 25P dinged up wheel??????

My 4-stroke Merc 115 pushed my 17 ft aluminum Crestliner 45 MPH, and My Yamaha F-150 pushes my heavy 18-1/2 ft Ranger over 50 MPH.

Hmmmmmmm My ol' 1250 only went 74 MPH, n' my lil' 89.x cubic inch 1967 950 does over 55 MPH. You musta had a real pig fer a tower, me friend. ;) Did all six holes have cornpression, (all six coils firin')???

My purdy ol' screamin' smokin' Black girls get right up n' talk to ya as they scream by heavy hogs like yers. I would blow yer heavy ol' cornplicated junkers into the weeds @ 6000 RPMs (plus jus' ta show off n' all) hittin' on ALL SIX as they screamed right on by by ya.

So unless you're old black girl runs well over 50 you're not blowin' by my heavy pig.

See above ^^^^. I would make ya look like ya hit reverse from 0-55 plus.

Respectfully,
jevery

Right back at ya, (RESPECTFULLY), JR :D

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Yup n' I'm gonna become the tooth fairy real soon as well. ;)

Time to dust off those fairy wings. Said to be a full second quicker to the 200 ft mark than the E-TEC HO and The Merc XS, though doesn't sound like it'll keep up with yours. We can wait until we get some independent confirmation if you like, though, my six year old's due to start losing his baby teeth soon. ;)

V-max.jpg

As always,
Respectfully, jevery

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Depends what you mean by complicated ???

jonesg

Admiral

Anything that needs a laptop and software to diagnose a wet plug or stuck injector is stupid by design.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Time to dust off those fairy wings. Said to be a full second quicker to the 200 ft mark than the E-TEC HO and The Merc XS, though doesn't sound like it'll keep up with yours. We can wait until we get some independent confirmation if you like, though, my six year old's due to start losing his baby teeth soon. ;)

V-max.jpg

As always,
Respectfully, jevery

I always have liked Yamadiners, ('cept the HPDI junkers). (There are models in all manufacturers that aren't so hot), thats life: eh?

N' I always have liked Johnnyrudes as well, (started out and still remain a Johnnyrude fan as a young boater as my Uncle was an Alaska commercial fisherman n' now me Brother is). The AK boys never liked Mercs, (called 'em Black boat anchors, n' me Brother always wants me the try the "float test" with 'em). Methinks it was the salt water problems, (mild steel drive shafts et al), with the 1960s models.

Our family's first Merc after many Johnnyrudes n' Elgins n' such was a 1966 Merc 500 short shaft on a 14' Pacific Mariner. She moved right along, n' could even pull me fat arse out on a deep water start on one ski, (after I learned ta drag me left leg). The points triggered the spark on the first generation Battery fired CDI on that 50 HP, n' needed settin' every 100 hours or the battery would go dead. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Not cool if yer out on an island, (as we were). The Johnnyrudes we had, (n' I still have some of 'em), were simple n' cornventional ignitions butt VERY DEPENDABLE.

Me Bro has a heavy carbed 200 HP Yamadinger in Cordova AK that he bought bran' new on his Woldridge 16' welded jet skiff that has been a very good engine.

I became a fan of inline6 Mercs with me 1968 1250 that I bought in 1986 with very few hours on it, (fresh water virgin). That engine ran sooooooo well n' took sooooooo much abuse I started me luv affair with me purdy tall Black girls. ;)

They clearly can't keep up with the bigger v-6 two strokes that have at least 50% more cubic inches. That said: THEY CAN BLOW THE DOORS OFF ANY CORNPARABLE HP engine from built from 1960 to 2009. :D

N' they are much purdier then that heavy lookin' 'dinger in the pic above ^^^, IM not so HO. ;)

Me overpriced $.02. JR

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just a couple of words ,HU ENTROP! starflite 3 ,122.979 mph !Love mercs but speed is subjective. 75 hp evinrude smoked them all and held the world record for many years my friend.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Cougar1985 stated:

just a couple of words ,HU ENTROP! starflite 3 ,122.979 mph

Yup ol' Hugh had a real fast v-4 'Rude didn't he?

!Love mercs but speed is subjective. 75 hp evinrude smoked them all and held the world record for many years my friend.

Yup many things are subjective me freind!!! :D Broken clocks also tell the correct time 2x per day.

I always like the v-4 after Johnnyrude copied Merc, (n' Elto wink wink...... uhem), with the streamlined gear case n' thru prop exhaust, (they were sure ugly hogs prior to that). ;)

No engines made previously or to this date were or are as purdy as the ol' tall Black girls that I luv are. Specially the 1500XS!!!! wink..... nod..... clap..... clap...... yip yip yahoo :D

Fact is they did win some races, (not the majority but some). N' fact is the v-4 got crushed by the inline6 Mercs. The Johnnyrudes also had a very fast 3 cylinder looper that was a killer in it's class as well.

Pound fer pound the inline6 Mercs were dominate until J'Rude n' Merc steped into v-6s with much bigger cubic inches n' started doin' it all over again.

I like Johnnyrudes but lets face some facts: they did go BK, n' Brunswick NEVER DID. There is a reason or two fer that ya know. ;)

Ever heard of 'lectric shift????? If ya know what I mean. ;)

Read the Scream n' fly blogs about the dominant Mercs if ya wanna drop names.

Recpectfully, JR

Status
Not open for further replies.