Lake of the Ozarks Information Needed

cdreed06

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, my wife and I were talking about going to Lake of the Ozarks next season and neither of us are interested in the party scene, just want to have a nice time on our 20' boat. Is there any particular place that we can go to that is calm enough for us to enjoy it? Just wondering if anyone knew of any place. Thanks in advance.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lake of the Ozarks Information Needed

I think LOTO is pretty much the party capital of the boating world. I've never been, but from what I understand a 20' boat is not enough boat for the lake. You need at least 25 footer with tabs to be safe.

If your looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, you might look into Table Rock lake. I spent a week their this summer with my 18 footer and really had a good time!

cdreed06

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, that is kinda what we were thinking. We live in SE Mo. so we do have some other lakes to go to but was just wondering about LOTO. Is Table Rock Lake very busy? Do we need to go during the week or is a weekend ok too? Thanks

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info, that is kinda what we were thinking. We live in SE Mo. so we do have some other lakes to go to but was just wondering about LOTO. Is Table Rock Lake very busy? Do we need to go during the week or is a weekend ok too? Thanks

Table Rock wasn't very busy during the week... but the weekend got a little rough. It was the middle of summer and a lot of boats seemed to be out. My wifes Grandfather has a condo on the lake and said it was busier than normal on the lake when we visited.

TR had a lot of quiet coves that we enjoyed. You could just drop anchor (a lot of anchor actually.... its really deep everywhere) and just sit and relax. The marina's where nice too. Be sure to visit Big Cedar lodge if you go... they have excellent food in both restruants!

GeoHawk

Seaman

+1 for staying away from the main channel areas of LOTO on the weekends, at least, unless your boat is 30'+. Weekdays aren't real busy, but starting Friday afternoons in the summer the express cruisers come out and make it rough as hell.

If you stayed on the Niagua Arm or above the 35 mile marker on the Osage Arm, even the weekend wouldn't be too bad, but then you wouldn't be around all the lakeside restaurants and touristy stuff.

cdreed06

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys, the wife and I are both a bit afraid of it if there is any chance of rough water, we just started this past year. I really appreciate the opinions and think we will stay away from LOTO for awhile anyway. Thanks

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info guys, the wife and I are both a bit afraid of it if there is any chance of rough water, we just started this past year. I really appreciate the opinions and think we will stay away from LOTO for awhile anyway. Thanks

Don't be afraid of the rough water... thats why we insure them :D This was my second year boating, so I know what you mean. ;)

Where do you normally go boating at?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

If ya got a 20 footer, then yes, stay away from the "party" section of the lake. That is from the dam to about the 26 mile mark. However, ya still got 70 miles of main channel left to enjoy. Having said that, we see a lot of the small boats (under 28 feet) being launched on holiday weekends at the 11MM. Only saw being towed back in (it sunk) but it was a drag boat with little freeboard. Week days of non-holiday periods aren't all that bad (but then it it is all relative).

Ya didn't really mention what ya wanted to do, i.e. cove out, ski, sight-see, etc. Ya camping out or stayin in a resort/motel/hotel?

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

We do most of our LOTO boating closer to Warsaw (80 + milemarkers). Wifes family has a couple of cabins there. No problems with the big cruisers but you do have to keep an eye out for a couple of mud bars during low water.

Hint: I use the hybrid option on google maps or use google earth to help find the shallow areas to avoid when running in a new stretch of lake.

Truman Lake is also right there and doesn't have quite the party atmosphere that the main channel of LOTO does.

I'm planning on making a couple of trips to Pomme de Terre next season. I hear it's a beautiful lake with nice water and doesn't get overly crowded. We'll see. I can't seem to find a lot of places to stay around there though.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I owned a 20' foot open bow and took it to LOTO a few times. Better off staying on the quiet side, maybe Camdenton. During the week your 20' boat will be fine. You can go anywhere you want. On the weekends, pick a cove anchor and swim. You will get beat up in 20 footer! We love LOTO and take our current 23' each year for a family vacation.

If you rent a condo, rent one in a cove. This way the dock will be more protected

DaNinja

Lieutenant

We have a house on the Nianguan side.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.073231,-92.799797&spn=0.082298,0.181103&t=h&z=13

Generally it's calmer than the main channel and I wouldn't have a problem putting the 20 footer in the water. The 24 footer is the boat that we have up there though.

The Little Niangua is where we usually anchor or let the kids ski or tube.

Boating to Bridal Caves or HaHa Tonka State Park are great rides on the Niangua.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

That four corners area can get a bit crowded/rough. But as you mentioned, once ya get passed it, smoother sailin'.
I was heading up your way last summer and didn't get past four corners before the wife "asked" me to turn around. It was a weekend and the three-foot chop got a little brutal.

I had my 86 year old grandma onboard and she thought it was great fun.:)

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Booked our Lake of the Ozarks Vaca! Staying at the Lands End Condo Complex at Osage Beach in July. :D

jeffw0038

Seaman

We do most of our LOTO boating closer to Warsaw (80 + milemarkers). Wifes family has a couple of cabins there. No problems with the big cruisers but you do have to keep an eye out for a couple of mud bars during low water.

Hint: I use the hybrid option on google maps or use google earth to help find the shallow areas to avoid when running in a new stretch of lake.

Truman Lake is also right there and doesn't have quite the party atmosphere that the main channel of LOTO does.

I'm planning on making a couple of trips to Pomme de Terre next season. I hear it's a beautiful lake with nice water and doesn't get overly crowded. We'll see. I can't seem to find a lot of places to stay around there though.

We usually go to pomme the best campground i have found is Pittsburg state park, nice shady campsites and big deep cove away from the main channel.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Booked our Lake of the Ozarks Vaca! Staying at the Lands End Condo Complex at Osage Beach in July. :D

Well, ya will be close to the action. Party cove just down the Glaize arm and then calmer water past that.

If ya want a decent cruise and some scenery, go down the Niangua arm to Ha Ha Tonka.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If ya want a decent cruise and some scenery, go down the Niangua arm to Ha Ha Tonka.

We stayed at 13mm by Ha Ha Tonka a couple of years back. Very beautiful.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no experience with the lake but have heard that it can be very quiet abov e the 50 mile marker.

If you're looking for quite I prefer Bull Shoals lake. It's probably much closer to you. I stay at the wing and fin resort not far from gainesville, MO - but there's lots of resorts there. It's a quiet lake with a lot of fishing being the main activity. In the morning I love to boat to breakfast at cookies in Theodosia, and the lake is smooth as glass until about ten o clock. It's the best thing in the world!!

Beaver lake and Truman lake are also worth checking out. I have never been to beaver but heard good things about it and have been to truman once. It was worthwhile. IN SE missouri you're not too far from the "land between the lakes" in NW Tennessee - it's something I've always wanted to go camp at.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

We frequent the lake of the Ozarks quite a bit. While it is a "party" lake there are still some nice places to enjoy yourself. State Park 1 is a decent place if you like modern campgrounds. All the amenities you could ever need. They have shower house, water sewer,a full marina with a store and a nice ramp. The only thing I don't care for about it is that the marina and the campground aren't together. I usually just beach my boat so it's not a real big deal to me. To get to the Park take Hwy 42 towards Osage Beach. A few miles east of Osage Beach you will see the signs for the park. Another couple spots I like are the swinging bridges at Brummley Mo. Turn on the Lake rd. (south off of 42) in Brummley and it takes you right there. Brummley is on Hwy 42 also. The camping is nice but has no amenities. McCubbins Point is another spot that is nice it is on the opposite side of the lake from State park one and a little further south east. It also has no amenities but nice campsites. To get to it take C Hwy SOUTH out of Brummley and follow it untill it T's take the right turn it's either Hwy E or A ( can't remember). E or A will turn again make the turn and stay on it follow it until you come to Lake rd. access 5 Turn down it and its about 5 miles to the water. This also is the road to the Fort Leonard Wood Rec. Area. All of these spots have nice ramps and campgrounds. People make the difference. There have been times we have had some not so nice camping neighbors and other times they have been great but that's life anywhere. I hope this helps and I wish you a great season. God Bless. Dave