Is my circulating pump going bad?

johnv100

Cadet
I have a 1987 Mercruiser V6, 175 HP with a standard cooling system. Last weekend when I took it out, I heard a grinding noise that was like the bearing in the water pump of my car going bad. But in my car, the noise was consistence (idle or at higher RPM). The weird thing was the noise only started when it was in gear and running, and above 1500 RPM. There was no noise when I ran it slow (under 1500 RPM). When I put it in neutral and brought the motor up to 2000+ RPM, there was no noise. At first I thought it was the alternator, and since it was easy to take it out. I took the alternator out and spun it by hand, the bearing was good. What else could it be? Please help.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is my circulating pump going bad?

The circulating pump would not change based on in gear or not . . .

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Take off the belt(s) and run it to see if the noise stops. It will at least help narrow the cause down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure the sound is coming from the front of the engine? If it still makes noise with the belt off as Fishermark suggest, I would suggest pulling the outdrive and checking the ujoints and gimbal bearing. Normally a gimbal bearing will make a noise in or out of gear, but who knows. Also see if there is water in the bellows.
I would also drain the gear lube and see if there is any metal on the drain plug magnet