Volvo/Penta engine Model No. not adding up

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Volvo Penta 5.0 Fi Model 50FAPHUE
Volvo Penta SX Outdrive Model 2868157

I'm a lucky man! My g/f just upgraded from the 87 bowrider (after putting $2,500 in to repair the lower, gimbal and u-joints) to a 95 CC concept 21 cuddy :D

In searching for Model numbers and comparing them with the Reference data found in the Adults section, things aren't adding up. Hence, this post....

Engine plate/cover has Volvo Penta 5.0 Fi. Found a tag listing motor, drive and transom, but it's not making sense when comparing to the reference data. This tag also states Cobra OMC.

The tag has the motor as Model 50FAPHUE, but it is not one of the listed engines on the V/P site, nor is it "spelled out" in the How to identify a Volvo Penta gas engine. 50 = 5.0 liters, F = Ford, A = ???, P = power steering, HU = model deisgnator, and E = version control.

Unless I read the tag wrong, the "A" should have been an "I", for fuel injection. Everything else in the engine model number makes sense to me, so what am I missing? Is the "HU" all I should care about?

Thanks in advance!
Robb

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo/Penta engine Model No. not adding up

The reason nothing shows up on the Volvo site, is because it's an OMC number, not Volvo. But, don't panic. The HU models came out during the joint venture between OMC and Volvo. The are the exact same engine and drive setup as Volvo, just with OMC model and serial numbers.
Here is alos the OEM (Volvo) manuals for your engine. Obviously, you won't need all of them, just the Ford MFI, drive, electrical manuals.
http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/6108033/c301e68a/sharing.html?rnd=11

zbnutcase

Commander

You have one of the ones made during Volvos takeover of OMC Sterndrive division. As such that is a OMC model number, not Volvos. 'nutcase

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the quick reply!

At the risk of repeating what you have pointed out, all I need to focus on is: the year, Ford, fuel injected, and the HU for model. After that, the Volvo and OMC names are used fairly interchangebly. Right?

I appreciate all there is to learn from this site and some day I will know enough to share as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No model year...they just go my model number which is HU in your case.