Trick or Treaters at your house?

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trick or Treaters at your house?

we did not see many at all this year, but that may be because of a new-ish tradition that has been gaining popularity here. the Trunk-or-Treat

all the parents load up there cars and head to a local church or school parking lot and set up there Halloween stuff in their trunk. then they let the kids wander car to car. the kids are always in an adults sight, eliminates the worry about some idiot driving thru the neighborhood and not seeing someone, and lets the adults have some fun as well

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Trunk or Treat here too.......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We had about 20 or so. Mostly polite. Did have 2 teenage boys come late no even in costume. I told them to get lost. Seriously.....get a job and buy your own candy. I was particularly irritated cuz the one boy was from across the street and his parents had their lights off. So I'm supposed to give your older kid candy while you don't even give any out to the kids? Sheesh. My wife answered the door to a teenage girl in an apparently slutty Dorothy from Wizard of Oz costume that she said was trick or treating by herself. Didn't seem like a good idea to us.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I found out at Church this morning that our Trunk or Treat turn out was very well... Our Church is in a 60 ear old neighborhood (give or take) and it is open to neighborhood T/Ters as well as the kids in the church that come. We set up games and have a few activities as well other than just T/T. We had 207 kids come through the Trunk or Treat last night. What a great impact and witness for those kids... (no more than maybe 20 or so were from our church).

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

We had a pretty good turnout for beggers night although it was down from the previous years.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I found out at Church this morning that our Trunk or Treat turn out was very well... Our Church is in a 60 ear old neighborhood (give or take) and it is open to neighborhood T/Ters as well as the kids in the church that come. We set up games and have a few activities as well other than just T/T. We had 207 kids come through the Trunk or Treat last night. What a great impact and witness for those kids... (no more than maybe 20 or so were from our church).

Cool.... Our church did the same thing.... I don't know the numbers tho....

fishrdan

Admiral

Our neighborhood gets together and the whole group goes trick-or-treating, 25-30 kids and 15+ adults. We only had 1 group hit our house before we left and no one come by after, but we live on a cul-de-sac with little traffic. One thing everyone in our group was commenting on how few houses had their lights on, probably 30% less people giving out candy this year, a sign of the times.

A lot of the people in the group were reminiscing about the good ol' days when we used to go out and bring home 1/2 a pillow case full of goodies, no parents around. I would go with my friends, my sister would go with her friends and we wouldn't come back until we were frozen (Wisconsin). I wouldn't think of letting my kids go out alone these days, too many bad influences,,, adults and kids.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We had about 75 TRTers. I'd day up from last year.
We did up the house front with decorations, turned on the floods in the front yard, and had a steady stream of them.
The front door is about 60' from the street, so the adults stayed on the sidewalk and the kids came to the door.

One year, my neighbor went along with his kid. When he got to my house, he had a drink glass in his hand, which was empty. So, I asked, whatcha drinkin'?. He said rum and coke. So, I took his glass and refilled it. About an hour later, the doorbell rang, and he's standing there with the drink glass, empty again in his outstreched hand, and says "trick or treat"
I filled it again, and shut off the porch lights.

QC

Supreme Mariner

We used to be a watering hole for the neighbors too. Mrs QC would make a Witches Brew that we served to adults as they watched over the kids. Maybe not the best thing to be known for, but we had a steady stream of adult Trick or Treaters and even the Mayor stopped by every year :eek: :D

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

Wow I think I live in the trick or treat neighborhood of my city, I went through five bags of candy and had to go to the store to get two more. I live on a corner and my curb line on both sides was filled with cars of people from different neighborhoods. I didn't thing I would get any (I moved in last year the day after halloween so I couldn't judge it). I didn't put out any decrations or even carve a pumkin since I was supposed to be out of town and we had kids lined up for about an hour or so and then we ran out of the two extra bags of candy and started handing out oatmeal packets, when they were gone we just went inside and turned of the porch light. Next year I will know to do some decorating I was actually embarassed.

skargo

Banned

Our old house, we got 0, in the new house, we also get 0, living way back in the woods has it's benefits!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I've lived here since 1992 and never had any kids show up. This area is very rural, the houses are too far apart for kids to walk, and no streetlights, sidewalks, etc.

Kids go down town and visit the neighborhoods where the houses are on 50x100 ft lots. Much better pickins there. :D

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We went out Trick or Treating with the 3 year old and had a great time he really liked the idea of getting free candy. The 18 year old stayed home to hand out candy, he dressed up as a "bloody" logger. He said we had about a dozen visitors.

Afterwards we went to the school yard and set off a few fireworks. A good time was had by all.

puddle jumper

Captain

We had about 20 this year.

One little girl was so cute. She came up my stairs in her princes costume and said trick or treat(she was about 5). I took out box full of chips and offered her some. She went through the box inspecting about 3 bags and putting them back. All of a sudden she turned and went back down the steps looking at her father and said I don,t want any chips. He looked so embarrassed and din,t know what to say. I just howled.

There,s always one that stands out every year.:)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

We had a "lite" year also, with less than 200. We had over 500 last year. Halloween is pretty big on my block. Big old houses with cemeteries in the front yards, fog machines in all the bushes and plenty of scary sounds and music.

We usually set up a couple of tables on the porch, with coffee, chili, bbq etc, and take turns eating and passing out candy. This year only the coffee made it to the porch. Although we did end up sitting on the porch 'till about 10pm, just watching the rain.