Another "What do you experts think" thread

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another "What do you experts think" thread

RUN AWAY!!! That boat has a Force L drive in it. The seller is trying to call in a Merc. That's about the worst motor you could possibly get.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no expert at anything, but about that description of the number of people that can be aboard: 10 people on an 18' bowrider is very optimistic, and likely unsafe. And a top end rebuild for $500.00? Mmmmmm!
Larry

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't give a squirt of **** for that boat. Force motor that hardly anyone knows how to work on, and it needs a top end, wonder what else it needs. Sounds like the guy is looking for a sucker.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice

When you see the words "easy to fix" in an ad, you can be sure it's NOT, or else the owner would do the fix before selling it.

Philster

Captain

That boat was just barely and legally above the level of 'junk' when new. Properly maintained and loved (and I mean really, really loved), she'd be half decent if the owner loved her so much that he knew her intimately, and could work on her endlessly, going to the ends of the earth to keep 'er running. Most of the time, it'd be futile, but he would extract just enough in return to wake up another day thinking he should keep 'er.

For everyone else? RUN.

Bigprairie1

Commander

FarmerSid, as a fellow Canadian, welcome to Iboats. :)
As for that boat tho'....leave it behind. As the guys mentioned it is the dreaded 'L-drive'. This drive was a short lived experiment in couple a 2 stroke outboard head to a weird vertical drive leg thingy. It didn't last long....or at all really and parts are very, very hard to come by for it.:eek:
There are a lot better choices out there. If you are in Southern Ontario check out the Craigslist in the northern states/cities near the border (Detroit, Buffalo, etc). You will probably find some very good deals there due to the economic situation. Importing it is easy so long as the paperwork and title for boat and trailer are there.
Good luck.
BP

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for the help! I was hoping I wouldn't get bashed for the "what do you think of this boat" thread. LOL! I have read here that Bayliner is not a favorite boat boat but it won't be used every weekend, don't want to spend much and can rebuild engines. Could be a good winter project and then I would know what I have in the end. I couldn't see what out drive it had from the pictures.

Glad you all told me about the pro's and cons of this model. I'm in the Kingston area but have been looking in Toronto and Ottawa.

Thanks,

Sid

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Glad you all told me about the pro's and cons of this model.

There are no pros. The boat is not worth $500 let alone $2900. If it had a Mercruiser 140 hp with a traditional outdrive then it would be a great first boat and $2900 would be a fair price. Heck, even if it had a Force outboard it would be worth close the the asking price. As it is, with the L drive, if you bought it you would end up hating it and the amount of money spent to keep it running could have easily bought another boat that was actually worth having.

We aren't joking.

Also, that vintage of Bayliner needs to be checked very closely for rot. I wouldn't be surprised to find significant rot in that boat along with the "L" drive.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yeah, while Bayliner is not very popular due to the terrible reputation they developed early on and the lack of GOOD quality work, it is not so much the hull that is the problem, as the hull looks good. Although it may have quite a bit of hidden water damage and rot. But that engine is the deal breaker. The "EASY FIX" is never easy, and to say it needs a top end, that is like saying I am selling a GOOD outboard that needs a new powerhead. And being a very short lived engine at that, tell the owner you will take 1500 from him to haul it to the junkyard for him...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

No "pro's" is absolutely right!

Fairly warned, be thee, says I! Arrrhhhh!

seacaptain.jpg