Fouling plugs

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor is fouling plugs like crazy, Is it safe to say that going with a hotter heat range will solve my plug issues. As of right now I am using the recommended heat range for my motor BR7HS-10. The mechanic installed a hotter plug is that good or bad? And he also adjusted the carb. Thanks for any input on this.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Fouling plugs

Bad fuel pump overfeeding fuel through the crankcase, Cool running motor caused by malfunctioning cooling system causing rich mixture, Old or contaminated fuel, Correct fuel/oil mixture? Put recommended plugs back in and fix the problem. Good luck

iammarcuse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year and motor is it? If it is a 150 then depending on the year they take 7's or 8's. 7's would already be on the hot side. I would think BR6HS-10 would be too hot.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year and motor is it? If it is a 150 then depending on the year they take 7's or 8's. 7's would already be on the hot side. I would think BR6HS-10 would be too hot.

The motor is 40 Yamaha,3cylinder,Oil injected. On these motors I wonder if you can calibrate the injection system.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bad fuel pump overfeeding fuel through the crankcase, Cool running motor caused by malfunctioning cooling system causing rich mixture, Old or contaminated fuel, Correct fuel/oil mixture? Put recommended plugs back in and fix the problem. Good luck

The marine said that they did a full diagnostic and they could not the see any issues,Maybe am not using their Yamalube Products. I should be able to use any high grade TWC oil on the market for this motor.

iammarcuse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brand of oil shouldn't matter. The oil can be adjusted but it needs to be calibrated to assure it is getting enough. The service manual outlines how. Is it one plug or all 3 fouling? If it is just one plug again again it could be a leaky fuel pump.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brand of oil shouldn't matter. The oil can be adjusted but it needs to be calibrated to assure it is getting enough. The service manual outlines how. Is it one plug or all 3 fouling? If it is just one plug again again it could be a leaky fuel pump.

I have not really check to see what plug is fouling, I usually change all three and it runs like a champ again until it bogs down at a lower speed.

iammarcuse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next time just change the one where the cylinder runs the fuel pump. If that cures it then the fuel pump is leaking fuel into that cylinder and fouling the plug.

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't have a fix for your Yammy, but don't throw away those fouled plugs. Soak them in White Vinagar for a day and they'll run like new. Done this many times.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't have a fix for your Yammy, but don't throw away those fouled plugs. Soak them in White Vinagar for a day and they'll run like new. Done this many times.
Wow that really works eh,I gotta try that one. I am picking her tommorrow at the marina and I will report back on the progress. So far they said they made some adjustment on the carb and they threw in some hotter plugs and will see if that solve the problem, Thanks for your advice.