Yammi F115 not starting a once or twice a trip...???

I have a Yammaha 115 four stroke (2003). It runs fine most of the time, But for some reason it doesnt want to start once or twice a trip. I have to let it sit there anywhere from 10-30min, then i turn the key and it starts right up again. Orrigionally i thought it was getting hot and the computer was not letting it start up till it cooled off. I have pretty much ruled that out, because everytime i shut the motor off after running it, i turn the key to make sure it starts again and it always does. It seems to have the problem after running it and shutting it down and letting it sit for 20 min or so while i'm fishing the spot. What could be causeing it to do this??? I'm not very familiar with 4 strokes, but could it not be getting gas? or be getting flooded? Thanks for your help

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yammi F115 not starting a once or twice a trip...???

Year?

Not starting or not cranking?

Its a 2003.

It cranks, but just does not actually start

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Do you have to reprime your fuel bulb to get it to start? It sounds to me like ( and I am stabing in the dark) that there might be air getting in the fuel line. The air will cause the warm fuel to evporate with a little time, then once it cools enough, it will pull fresh.

That is the only thing I can think of right now. Let us know about the bulb...

Priming the bulb does not seem to help. I have tried to prime it and it it always hard and still has gas in it. I've pumbed the bulb and turned the key and it still didnt start.

What you suggested about the air in the line is what my dad suggested as the problem. How would i test for this?

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would carry a spark tester and check for spark when this occurs.

If spark is ok when it won't start check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
The high pressure pump should cycle for 3-4 seconds when the ignition is turned on.

You should be able to hear the pump.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man!

Mine has done the same exact thing and I don't have a clue either....thought the same thing that it was getting hot but I don't know..:confused:..happens so infrequently that it's hard to diagnose. Let us know if you get it figured out.

With me it seems to be happening once or twice a trip. In the last 5 trips, its happenned 1 time in 2 of the trips, 2 times in one of the trips, and on one trip it happened 3 times..... I've only had one trip where it didn't malfunction. Its more of an annoyance then anything, but i need to get it figured out.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it sound like it wants to start but doesn't catch and continue to run?

The reason I'm asking is because that is what happened to mine one morning and it ended up being a sticky IAC valve.
Cleaned it and it hasn't happened since.