The Hijack Zone - Zombies Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: The Hijack Zone - Zombies Welcome

Hey WIMUSKY Never made it to the range today, call came in wound up going out on a job and started a emergency boiler install. You are right about the whistles and bells, I've never needed or used them in my life before. Here is what I'm thinking about doing There was a real nice Leupold for $179 I liked the brightness and the clarity better than the pro-staff. I"m gonna pick it up along with quick release mounts. Tomorrow I have to finish that boiler I started today, I'm gonna take it to the range Saturday sight in the scope & make sure my old iron sights are on the money. If in my tree stand I'll leave it with the scope on but if I'm walking and stalking its back to open for me.

Don't know why I'm obsessing so much over this, my O.C.D. must be getting the best of me

Funny thing reflecting on my train of thought, I can't believe I'm the same guy who for the past 30 years went hunting with a good old army surplus 30 cal M1 carbine made by General Motors/ Saginaw division bone stock right down to the peep sights up until 3 years ago I didn't even own a gun with a scope.

Yeah, that pesky work thing tends to get in the way of fun every now and then.... Sounds like you made a good choice on your scope. It wouldn't happen to be the 2x7 riflemen by chance? Leupold has been the gold standard for years. My only concern is you sound like you may take the scope on and off depending on your hunting situation. May not be a good idea. Accuracy could be effected. Heck, even loose mounting screws can change the accuracy. How about a see-thru rings? Provided you can use them on your gun. It will let you look at your iron sights while keeping the scope mounted at all times..... Or, did I misunderstand what you were saying? Let us know how the "day at the range" goes....

It's amazing how little technology seemed to work for us for so many years, then all of a sudden it's not good enough anymore. Kinda like all the fishing electronics that's available. People used to catch fish just fine without any electronics or fancy boats. Heck, people used to "troll" with oars. But that's ok, there's alot of fun stuff available for us today. And fun is what it's all about.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ok, I'll bite. Ahhhhh, it's still there......

Yep still on my blackberry this is really weird, it shows up on my blackberry comes up as an X on IE, and shows no sign of it on firefox on my laptop.

Hey Kev, I really loved that M1 I had gotten it from my dad when I was a kid, he bought it through the NRA for something like $25. I am sorry to say I don't have it anymore :( Long story . I remember I couldn't have been more than 12 I taught myself blindfolded how to field strip it then build it in under some ridiculously little amount of time I remember reading somewhere that that's what the GI's had to do so being a kid well....
I carried that gun everywhere shot a lot of deer and woodchuck with it It was kinda like my Lucille ( B.B King reference)
I have been looking to get another but I want the exact one, GM Saginaw division and all.
The heart breaking part is now they are going for $1000. or better which I just can't afford.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey HVAC Cruiser,
I still remember the M1 myself. When I went into the Corp, My first rifle was a M14, a modified M1, .308 cal. 7.62mm. I really loved that rifle too. Like you I would like to find another one but can't afford it either.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Yea, I just hate it when making a living gets in the way of my play time :)
The quick release mounts are supposed to be guaranteed zero every time here is a link to them Scope Base Ring
They also have a quick release for a weaver style rail My local gun shop sells both styles. I might go with the Weaver style

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey HVAC Cruiser,
I still remember the M1 myself. When I went into the Corp, My first rifle was a M14, a modified M1, .308 cal. 7.62mm. I really loved that rifle too. Like you I would like to find another one but can't afford it either.
Bob

There all up in price these days, anything semi or if it was ever military because of fear of them being banned

The thing I loved about the M1 was it was a very loose action, I could run that puppy through the mud and it would still fire and never jam a round. Back in the 80's when I used to hunt with my 1st wife's father he would charge hunters for staying at his house upstate, they would come up with all these expensive guns, scopes, deer calls, deer scents, B.S. etc.. they would hunt all week get nothing but tell lots of stories.
Me I'd toss my little over-grown pistol cartridge M1 over my shoulder still with the original green cloth sling, come back in a few hrs dragging a buck, doe, both LOL
God those were fun days :) :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yea, I just hate it when making a living gets in the way of my play time :)
The quick release mounts are supposed to be guaranteed zero every time here is a link to them Scope Base Ring
They also have a quick release for a weaver style rail My local gun shop sells both styles. I might go with the Weaver style

The weaver does look like it should be more sturdy. I don't have any experience with quick release mounts. I've always been a firm believer with not touching the scope after it's sighted in.... Be careful too, that you don't knock the scope on a tree/stand or anything else. That can throw them off too. Has nothing to do with the base, but everything to do with the optics... Good luck........:)

aspeck

Staff member

Fell dragging a hunting buddies deer out of the woods for him. Cracked my scope on the ground pretty hard. Work got in the way today, so I have to try to shoot it in this afternoon before going out tomorrow. Calling for a little snow, so should be fun. Haven't seen many deer - but have seen as many bear as we have deer. Got a big doe on Monday, and missed a chance at a buck. Been shut out since. Tomorrow is another day!

PS Gonna take the little girl out after school ... hopefully she will get a shot at a buck.

PeterMcG

Seaman

Fell dragging a hunting buddies deer out of the woods for him. Cracked my scope on the ground pretty hard.
Ouch.
If you want high quality optics and the toughest scopes I ever handled, check out US Optics.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Fell dragging a hunting buddies deer out of the woods for him. Cracked my scope on the ground pretty hard. Work got in the way today, so I have to try to shoot it in this afternoon before going out tomorrow. Calling for a little snow, so should be fun. Haven't seen many deer - but have seen as many bear as we have deer. Got a big doe on Monday, and missed a chance at a buck. Been shut out since. Tomorrow is another day!

PS Gonna take the little girl out after school ... hopefully she will get a shot at a buck.

So how did the scope fare? Were you able to resight it? How far off was it, or was it off at all?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep still on my blackberry this is really weird, it shows up on my blackberry comes up as an X on IE, and shows no sign of it on firefox on my laptop.

Hey Kev, I really loved that M1 I had gotten it from my dad when I was a kid, he bought it through the NRA for something like $25. I am sorry to say I don't have it anymore :( Long story . I remember I couldn't have been more than 12 I taught myself blindfolded how to field strip it then build it in under some ridiculously little amount of time I remember reading somewhere that that's what the GI's had to do so being a kid well....
I carried that gun everywhere shot a lot of deer and woodchuck with it It was kinda like my Lucille ( B.B King reference)
I have been looking to get another but I want the exact one, GM Saginaw division and all.
The heart breaking part is now they are going for $1000. or better which I just can't afford.

I hear ya..Lots of great guns have come in & out of my hands & life..
I did a quick search on Guns of America & does this look familiar??

http://www.gunsamerica.com/92887551...ARBINE_SAGINAW_SERVICE_GRADE_U_S_ARSENAL.htm#

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

BWR that 14 ft snake is INSANE.......didnt know they got much past 5 ft!!!!!!!!
maybye its interebred with a python????????????????

Hi Kev, Hi Bill, Hi Bob........:pHi all!!!!!!!!!!!!

aspeck

Staff member

So how did the scope fare? Were you able to resight it? How far off was it, or was it off at all?

Still dead on ... going out the door now ... hopefully I will have to use it ... snow is coming around 10am today!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I hear ya..Lots of great guns have come in & out of my hands & life..
I did a quick search on Guns of America & does this look familiar??

http://www.gunsamerica.com/92887551...ARBINE_SAGINAW_SERVICE_GRADE_U_S_ARSENAL.htm#

Looks like a long lost child of mine, makes me want to cry.
I'm hoping after Christmas I can start looking to replace it. My wife drives me nuts every time I buy another gun she keeps asking "how many guns do you need don't they all do the same thing" :rolleyes:

Hey aspeck glad to hear the scope was still on the money, was your little one able to get a deer yesterday?
Good Luck with the hunting today

Hi Vegas, you might be right the biggest one I have ever seen here in the north was about 5' long. I didn't think they could grow that big. Did you see the size of those fangs, WOW. Don't have to worry about the venom, those would go right through ya

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Quote: CheapBoatKev
"I hear ya..Lots of great guns have come in & out of my hands & life.."
Quote:

Just like kids, once they come in my life they never leave...........

Still dead on ... going out the door now ... hopefully I will have to use it ... snow is coming around 10am today!

Very cool. You must have been very happy that it was still on. Let us know how your morning went...

My wife drives me nuts every time I buy another gun she keeps asking "how many guns do you need don't they all do the same thing" :rolleyes:

My wife told me, "once the gun cabinet was full I was done buying guns". I said, "no, I'll just need another cabinet". Needless to say, I'm a couple of guns past my current cabinets capacity.......:D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi All, I just stumbled across this article and Picture at field and stream . Wow, a 20 point 200 class buck this guy shot with is bow near the range that I target shoot.
Its a 4 beam buck :eek:, talk about wild!!! That's Montana horn sizes

Maybe I should just stay home and hunt in my own back yard lol
To think I drive 200 mi to shoot 50- 60 class when I could drive 15mi for 200 class :( Ant to think I was happy with the 56 I shot last year
Although with the 4 beams don't know if its safe to eat. The buck might have been spending to much time near Brookhaven Labs, or maybe to much time at the nuclear power plant :eek:
hol1.jpg

Here is the article

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2009/11/long-island-buck-four-beams-threatens-new-york-state-archery-record?photo=0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow..Kinda like when I lived in Cali..
Flew to Cabo for 10 days of Yellowfin Tuna fishing..Had a strong El Nino pattern and all the tuna moved BACK north up towards San Diego where I normally fished out of!!!!!:eek:

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

My wife told me, "once the gun cabinet was full I was done buying guns". I said, "no, I'll just need another cabinet". Needless to say, I'm a couple of guns past my current cabinets capacity.......:D

You should consider yourself lucky, My wife got upset with me this morning for spending $$ on black powder supplies! She needed money for xmas + house but didn't want to burden me by asking. I waltzed in with a honey look what I bought,:) Oops ! :eek::confused::eek:
Oh well

Just like kids, once they come in my life they never leave...........

That is usually the case with me for this is the only gun that did get away, not intentionally though, I would never have parted ways with it if I had a choice.
My dad, to this day, once in a while will bring it up, I just don't have the heart to tell him I don't have it anymore. Thats actually one of the reasons I want to replace it. It would break his heart if he knew I didn't have it.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That is usually the case with me for this is the only gun that did get away, not intentionally though, I would never have parted ways with it if I had a choice.
My dad, to this day, once in a while will bring it up, I just don't have the heart to tell him I don't have it anymore. Thats actually one of the reasons I want to replace it. It would break his heart if he knew I didn't have it.

Ya I have one of those stories about one of the pieces my pops gave me...I'd type it all out but it hurts too much to tell the tale....

Lets just say broke/pawn shop/good intentions gone bad/lost it/can never tell him...

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ya I have one of those stories about one of the pieces my pops gave me...I'd type it all out but it hurts too much to tell the tale....

Lets just say broke/pawn shop/good intentions gone bad/lost it/can never tell him...

Well I wish my story was that simple, abridged version , while separated from previous wife gave to someone for safe keeping, Then hooked up with biker chick HD tats up legs 5' 100# :D - was bouncer/dealers ex O'l lady he didn't want to be "ex" :eek: = fights
safe keepin person sided with bouncer/dealer = Never saw my gun again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.