shutting down johnson engine

c. dale rogers

Recruit
:confused:should the carb on my 25 horse johnson be left empty by pulling gas line and running it dry after each fishing trip? how about leaving it dry when storing it for winter? i get different ideas from people who know more than i do. one says carb will dry out when empty which is not good. any ideas?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: shutting down johnson engine

No don't run it dry after every trip. If you are going to leave gas in the carb longer that 50 or so days put some sta-bil in your tank and run it so it gets into the carb, that way it will last up to a year. I've never ran a motor out of fuel so I can't anwer that question, I always make sure I put sta-bil into everything I own before I put it away for the winter.

c. dale rogers

Recruit

:confused:should the carb on my 25 horse johnson be left empty by pulling gas line and running it dry after each fishing trip? how about leaving it dry when storing it for winter? i get different ideas from people who know more than i do. one says carb will dry out when empty which is not good. any help will be appreciated.

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

im new to the outboard world, but in my experiences when i worked as a small engine mechanic, every time we drained a carb in between use it seemed to cause a problem. the company i worked for wanted the fuel shut off between rentals. i especially had a problem with some of hondas small engines. every time we ran them dry the floats got stuck and the engine filled with fuel when turned on. that said, i do like bktheking on everything i own. stabil and leave fuel in it

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stabil and leave it alone. Draining does more harm than good.
Just my opinion though

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I've run motors dry for over 25 yeears and never a problem. The motors I have now (E-Tecs) can't do , however (damage to fuels pumps will happen if run dry). But this is solely an E-Tec thing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I've run motors dry for over 25 yeears and never a problem. The motors I have now (E-Tecs) can't do , however (damage to fuels pumps will happen if run dry). But this is solely an E-Tec thing.

Make that 60 years for me. And I still do it. However, it does no good if your motor has more than one carburetor.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I do both. Run em dry and use stabilizer. If you have more than 1 carb and it's a 2 stroke don't run em dry though as you will lose lubrication thru one carb when it's running out.