Need Advice on an 18 Foot Starcraft

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Hi everyone, first post here.

Contemplating a purchase of an 18 foot 1960's, early 70's Aluminum Starcraft with a 2.5 Chevy inboard.
How do you guys think this type of boat will handle Lake St. Clair, the Detroit and St. Clair rivers?

I looked over the restoration of the Liquid Limo, wow! Awesome job and a cool looking boat. Many people in SE Michigan are big Starcraft fans, and I can see why.

Great forum, if I buy a tin Starcraft I will be spending some time here.

Thanks,
Don

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Advice on an 18 Foot Starcraft

I've got an 18' Starcraft and it seems like a pretty stout boat to be. I previously had a 16' and this one is more subatantial than it was in every way. Longer, deeper, and wider. I think it could handle some pretty good chop with ease.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input.

My other option would be to wait until spring and try to find an Islander. Problem is I want to store any boat I get in my driveway/garage. The edge of my house to the neighbors fence is 9'. I figure 18-19' is about all i can handle.

I have my eye on two boats, if they are still around on Saturday I think I'll get one.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

There goes another one, Lost in the Starcraft craze...Save yourself man!!!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

An 18' Starcraft would be great for Lake St. Clair and the river. If you want to be able to venture into Saginaw Bay or any open water in Lake Huron or Erie you would want to be 20' and up depending on how far out you go.

We used to fish out of a 20' Sea Nymph in Lake Michigan and Huron all the time...just keep an eye on the larger boats with radar(they see the storms miles away).

If they head in...you may want to consider it as well;)

There are some real nice starcrafts in Michigan available so take your time and find a good one. Good luck!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

An 18' Starcraft would be great for Lake St. Clair and the river. If you want to be able to venture into Saginaw Bay or any open water in Lake Huron or Erie you would want to be 20' and up depending on how far out you go.

We used to fish out of a 20' Sea Nymph in Lake Michigan and Huron all the time...just keep an eye on the larger boats with radar(they see the storms miles away).

If they head in...you may want to consider it as well;)

There are some real nice starcrafts in Michigan available so take your time and find a good one. Good luck!

Great points, I'll stay off the Great Lakes and stick to the connecting waterways. I live 15 minutes from St. Clair and that's my favorite place to fish. Smallmouth Bass and Musky galore.

I like to restore cars, and the jump to boats is a natural one. I need a project and a larger boat so here goes.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Don if your already into Cars a Starcraft will seem like a breeze to do . I am also into cars and so far my Starcraft has been a blast to do .

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey what model of 18 ftr are ya looking at?
My 18 ft Holiday hit 31 mph with that 2.5 L 4 banger and was a blast, that was not trimmed out and with a little cable slop (I think)

We circled around and hit our wake and she cut right through it with just a little bump...oh man I gotta get back on the water..