'splain to me, RV tow vehicles?

WizeOne

Commander
All the time I see vehicles on towbars being towed behind various RV's. Many of them are late model, probably mid to high dollar crossover SUV's. I'm pretty sure that they are predominantly automatics.

How is it that this can be? I thought you could not tow (for any distance) modern automatic transmission vehicles.

What's the deal here?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 'splain to me, RV tow vehicles?

Most if not all of them have an add on something, that lets it be towed without damage.
On older ones you can just put the transfer case (4x4 only) in neutral and tow them.

WizeOne

Commander

What might these "add on something's" be?

It was my understanding that for several decades now, automatics lacked rear fluid pumps that would cause the transmissions to burn up when either towed or allowed to coast for long distances. The lack of these 'rear fluid pumps' also eliminated the possibility of 'jump starting' the vehicles.

Also, I am sure that some of these higher dollar 'electronic' four wheel drives are not exempt from this. They do not have levers that mechanically disengage the mechanical transfer case.

TilliamWe

Banned

No add on I ever heard of. To the best of my knowledge, and what people who have towed front drive cars have told me, they are removing the axle shaft. Then when they get to where they are going, they have a shop re-install it. That's the only way I know to tow an automatic transmission equipped vehicle.

45Auto

Commander

There are lots of automatics that are towable with all four wheels on the ground. The RV guys call it "dinghy towing". You can go here and download the 2009 towing guide from Motorhome Magazine. I believe the automatic Saturns were some of the first ones you could tow, but now almost every manufacturer has some.

http://motorhome.tl.com/output.cfm?ID=213607

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

There are certain cars/suv/trucks that can be towed "four down" behind motor homes and such. There are also add ons that either disconnect the tranny or provide circulation of the tranny fluid in order to keep things lubricated. Or you can disconnect the drive shaft in a variety of ways to tow. There is a variety of ways to go about towing a vehicle.

I refer you to rv.net/forum/index.cfm and lurk in the "dingy towing" forum.

WizeOne

Commander

I'll check out all the supplied links. Thanks! One thing I know for certain is that a lot of these people I see driving these monoliths are not crawling under there 'dingies' and disconnectiong their drive axles.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Also, I am sure that some of these higher dollar 'electronic' four wheel drives are not exempt from this. They do not have levers that mechanically disengage the mechanical transfer case.

My '01 Chev P/U can be put in neutral by holding in two button's simultaneously(I can't remember which two off the top of my head as I don't tow it).
Mike

Splat

Lieutenant

I know the cobalts have an add on option for the fluid pump.

My buddies dad tows one and it was an option from the factory.

Bill

Knightgang

Lieutenant

My '01 Chev P/U can be put in neutral by holding in two button's simultaneously(I can't remember which two off the top of my head as I don't tow it).
Mike

They would be the 2HI and the 4HI buttons. I have the same truck...

I saw an SUV in an RV service center one day (a camping world) and it was in like a zillion pieces. I asked why it would be in the service center at an RV dealer, and they told me they were prepping it to be towed behind an RV. They were installing a tranny cooler, a remote tranny fluid pump, remote brake kit, and a few other things that I cannot remember. But yes, they have kits that you can add to them now that can circulate the tranny fluid with the tranny in neutral and the engine not running to allow it to be towed without burning up the tranny...

TilliamWe

Banned

I saw an SUV in an RV service center one day (a camping world) and it was in like a zillion pieces. I asked why it would be in the service center at an RV dealer, and they told me they were prepping it to be towed behind an RV. They were installing a tranny cooler, a remote tranny fluid pump, remote brake kit, and a few other things that I cannot remember. But yes, they have kits that you can add to them now that can circulate the tranny fluid with the tranny in neutral and the engine not running to allow it to be towed without burning up the tranny...

Sweet excellent information! Thanks. You too splat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My Subaru dealer told me that they sell five speed vehicles for dinghy towing and forbid towing of the automatics. Just put the transmission in Neutral and be on your way.

#2 daughter tows a 5 speed Honda CRV or her 5 speed Outback behind her RV.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

My Subaru dealer told me that they sell five speed vehicles for dinghy towing and forbid towing of the automatics. Just put the transmission in Neutral and be on your way.

#2 daughter tows a 5 speed Honda CRV or her 5 speed Outback behind her RV.

That would be correct, without the Add ons. I do not know how the add ons would affect a vehicles warranty. Dealership would probably see the tranny fluid add on and claim that since it was not that way from the manufacturer, or dealer installed, then any problems with the tranny would not be covered under warranty.

I have a Ford Excursion 4X4 and it has the Autolock hubs and Shift selector switch on the dash. There is no Neutral transfer case option, so it cannot be towed with the wheels on the ground, period... I would not even trust an add on on that truck, that tranny is HUGE...

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I have always known it as flat towing and I have towed my jeep thousands of miles this way but mine was a stick with a locker in the front axle so I would leave it in 2wd and the trans in nuetral. On my cherokee it did not have a locker but it did have an Auto trans and I had to leave the transfer case in nuetral with the trans in park. I did not know they have exernal tranny pumps for this situation or even how it would work or if I would trust it. If you have an aussie or similar locker you cannot put the Tcase in nuetral and tow that way (at least on Jeeps) since the Tcase in nuetral will lock the drive shafts together and with the locker eveytime you try to move forward it will want to turn the wheels all the way in one direction.