How Is Rinker Build Quality?

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a 1993 23' Rinker open bow with 350 magnum. Boat is clean with minimal wear. He is right around $3,500. Seems like a deal to me but I am cincerned with the overall build quality of Rinkers. Any opinions?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: How Is Rinker Build Quality?

I have never looked at Rinkers that old. The Rinkers I have seen have all been 2000 newer. From what I have seen, they are more of a "value" priced boat than a "luxury" priced boat. I have seen a couple of chinsy (spelling?) items on their cruisers, and I saw a brand new bowrider in 2005 that had cracks in the gelcoat under the swim platform. But I have also seen some chinsy stuff on supposed quality boats too.

A well cared for and maintained "cheap" boat can be just as good as a neglected "expensive" boat.

Look it over real real good, and if in any doubt, have it surveyed.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say they are comparable to a fourwinns. Not top of the line by any stretch but, not at the bottom. I use to have a 95 with a 4.3 and a volvo duo prop outdrive. It had lots of stainless steel instead of the plastic you find in bayliners. It was a very fun boat.

CheeseCutter

Cadet

I have a '93 Captiva BR 209. Have never had any problems with it, but I take exceptional care of my toys, so that helps keep things new. I guess this is why I've probably kept it so long! Good luck with your decision.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you guys think of the price? 23.5' with 350 mag, nice tandem axle trailer, not mint but clean inside and out. Only one small tare in a seam towards the bow. A farm boy owns it and stores it in their shop with a cover.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it didn't have any
rot I wouldn't have a problem paying that amount for it. He might negotiate but, that price is fair if he doesn't. That's a great engine also. Are you planning on a test drive?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As BroncRider said, your MAIN concern with any older fiberglass boat is going to be rot in the wood components: transom, stringers, deck. You want a solid transom and any soft spots in the deck could be an indication of a more serious problem below. So check carefully. Rinkers are a solid middle-of-the-line boat. Check it out carefully. If it's solid, I think that is a very fair price.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took the advice above and passed on it. Turns out the floor had some soft spots in the rear and a spot or two that had plywood bolted down to renforce the floor where the seats bolted down. I will say it was hard to pass up because I really had my mind set on buying it. Had to talk my self out of it. With that said I picked up a 23' Galaxy instead. Not pretty or mint by any means but atleast it was on the cheap. Thanks a bunch for the advice!!!

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you passed on a project boat. Good for you.
Congrats on the other boat you did buy.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ok now you can't just tell us about your new boat...you have to post some pics.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out my good, bad and ugly post. Its a 91 23' Galaxy cuddy. Nice one the outside but the interior is a mess. Everything seems solid and oicked it up cheap enough that I can put some $ in it and still be ahead.

jonesg

Admiral

Looks like you passed on a project boat. Good for you.
Congrats on the other boat you did buy.

ditto on that, its got project splattered all over the description, soft spots on deck....rot all over the stringers.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ditto on care and maintenance. Almost any brand of boat can be nice if maintained properly. My '91 206 Captiva is rock solid and neat as a pin and as mentioned, the 350 magnum is a great motor. The PO had it 14 years and you can tell it never saw the sun or water unless he was in it. I now keep it the same way. Good luck and have fun with your new toy.