Beginner upholstery question

ax1lla

Seaman
Hi all,

First time boat owner and first time posting on iboats. The forums have been a great way to learn some of the basics.

I've been searching posts pertaining to upholstery and there is A LOT of good stuff out there. The best thread I've seen thus far (for an absolute beginner like me) has been:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347724&highlight=upholstery

Step by step process with pics. Can't beat that!

Anyway, I still have some VERY basic questions for those of you who have done some upholstery work.

Note: I have a 1974 Sterncraft (16ft) with a 115 HP Merc. It's a trihull.

1. Can you use regular plywood? Or should you ONLY use marine plywood? Keep in mind I don't want to sink money into this thing. I only paid $400 for it and it runs great. I just need to make the interior look nicer. So, if regular plywood will last 10+ years, that is good for me.

2. I see a lot about sewing and needles etc. Is this always needed? I was simply planning on stapling it.

3. If you look at the link posted above, one of the steps shows using a starter strip to put down for the colored stripe. Anyone have any other ideas on something I could use for that piece that would work just as well?

4. Is there a specific type of foam you have to get?

5. Some people have suggested putting a clear plastic piece down over the foam. Sounds loke a good idea.....any comments?

I hope this is a project a beginner like me can handle. I've never done anything like this. Right now I'm going to just concentrate on the bow and the two runner pieces on each side of the boat. I also have two seats in the back, but am trying to think of doing something else back there so that i can fit three people instead (maybe a bench).

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance!

Corey

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Beginner upholstery question

Nothing wrong with regular plywood as long as you don't let your boat sit out in the rain. Lots of the panels on my boat are simply wrapped and stapled. I don't see the need for plastic wrapping the foam if you are using vinyl.

I reupholsterd my camper using the wrap and staple method. I also wanted to do it low buck. I got a coupon for 50% to JoAnn Fabrics, so my vinyl only cost me 5 bucks a yard. It turned out pretty good.

ax1lla

Seaman

Thanks! I kinda thought that was the way to go from reading som of these threads, but wanted to make sure. I actually, saw Joanns as a recommendation on another thread as well and signed up as a member. Not sure if there is another way to get a 50% off coupon other than waiting for one to be emailed?

Was also wondering....

What do you guys recommend for seating in the back? Right now I just have two seats on the outside so there is room to get to the battery, etc in the middle. However, I was thinking it would be nicer if I made it sit 3 instead. Maybe some sort of bench. Is that easy to do? Has anyone done something like this? Perhaps I should start a new thread for this though.....

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My better half and I have done a bit of interior work on our craft. I make the frames and panels, cut and adhere the foam and she does the vinyl work (all on an antique kenmore sewing machine). We use 1/2 plywood from lowes and the vinyl comes from joann fabrics. The only thing I would suggest is that you completely seal the wood with resin of some sort. After she gets the covers fitted we slide them on and staple to the bottom.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm in the process of of redoing the vinyl on are boat as well. New seats and side panels. All my wood was rotted when i took the panels off. I made new panels and frames out of 1/2 plywood exterior grade and sealed them all with west epoxy system. So they should last forever now...lol. The originals lasted 23 years and they weren't even painted or sealed

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I did mine all with the wrap method. I used exterior plywood and stapled it with stainless steel staples. I did buy marine grade vinyl because it is supposed to have good UV resistance.

Here's a trick you can use. Cut your foam at least the thickness of the foam wider all the way around (thickness x 2) then spray the back of the foam and the wood with 3M spray 80 adhesive. Apply the foam to the wood and let it dry for a few minutes. This way, when you wrap, the foam won't move around on you and all your edges will be perfect.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Embedded answers below:

Hi all,

First time boat owner and first time posting on iboats. The forums have been a great way to learn some of the basics.

I've been searching posts pertaining to upholstery and there is A LOT of good stuff out there. The best thread I've seen thus far (for an absolute beginner like me) has been:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347724&highlight=upholstery

Step by step process with pics. Can't beat that!

Thanks. That was my post. Glad it is helping

Anyway, I still have some VERY basic questions for those of you who have done some upholstery work.

Note: I have a 1974 Sterncraft (16ft) with a 115 HP Merc. It's a trihull.

1. Can you use regular plywood? Or should you ONLY use marine plywood? Keep in mind I don't want to sink money into this thing. I only paid $400 for it and it runs great. I just need to make the interior look nicer. So, if regular plywood will last 10+ years, that is good for me.

In my opinion you can use regular plywood. Make sure it is exterior grade and seal it. I did this on my project. You could also use pressure treated plywood from the lumber center, but I opted not to because of how much it warps as it dries.

2. I see a lot about sewing and needles etc. Is this always needed? I was simply planning on stapling it.

All of the upholstery in my boat in that link is stapled with the exception of the corners on the cushions. You could get away with just folding it under like making a bed though. My cushions have a plywood bottom under the foam. As I said though I did stitch the corners and then on the back side of the seam I used vinyl adhesive to stick the tabs together. I feel this provides added strength beyond what the stitching alone does, and also seals the seam from water intrusion into the foam.

3. If you look at the link posted above, one of the steps shows using a starter strip to put down for the colored stripe. Anyone have any other ideas on something I could use for that piece that would work just as well?

The drywall corner bead works great and is about the cheapest thing I could find that would work. It is available at any home center (Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc.) and one piece of it costs about $2 or $3. That one piece will get you 16 feet of starter strip.

4. Is there a specific type of foam you have to get?

I actually re-used most of the foam that came out of my boat, but did buy some foam for a few pieces. I just went to JoAnn fabric and bought what they had. I couldn't tell any difference between the original and the stuff from JoAnn. It isn't exposed to sunlight, so UV shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, time will tell, but I don't anticipate any problems.

5. Some people have suggested putting a clear plastic piece down over the foam. Sounds loke a good idea.....any comments?

All I can say is that the original upholstery on my boat had the plastic between the foam and the vinyl on the cushions only. It was mentioned that this provides a barrier to prevent the rough back side of the vinyl from rubbing the foam into powder. Sounds logical to me and it only costs a small amount for a few heavy duty garbage bags, or a roll of plastic.

I hope this is a project a beginner like me can handle. I've never done anything like this. Right now I'm going to just concentrate on the bow and the two runner pieces on each side of the boat. I also have two seats in the back, but am trying to think of doing something else back there so that i can fit three people instead (maybe a bench).

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance!

Corey

Hope this helps.

John B.

ax1lla

Seaman

sschefer - great idea on laying down the foam. Thank you!

John B. - your posts have been great! I'm truly excited about digging into this. It doesn't SEEM like it will be that difficult (but we'll see). I'm not much of a handy man. However, I've been absolutely OBSESSED with my boat since I got it a few months back. i know this sounds dumb, but Ive ALWAYS dreamed of having a boat and being able to take my family out on it. Some of my best memories of when I was a kid were my dad taking us out on Lake Champlain. The fact that I was able to get this boat for only $400 is crazy. It runs great! I just need to fix the uholstery (wood is dryrotted) and I'll be in business! I'm gonna take pictures of it this weekend and post them so you guys can see the before and after.

To be continued.....

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Congradulations on your desire to reupholster your seats. I'm now almost finished with my second boat reupholstery job. All the advice you've received is great; here's some more. You can pick up coupons at the Joanne store for 40% off. Use high density foam if you need any. It you're redoing a captain's seat, you'll need to do some sewing. Use the old cover as a pattern. Use a #16 needle. I used my Kenmore sewing machine. No problems. I got my thread at Sailrite (ordered over the net). It is much better than the thread I got at Joanne for my previous boat. (I'm even making new Sunbrella "canvas" for my boat right now. That's a lot more complicated.) If you make a tight-fitting cover, such as over a captain's seat, laying a layer of plastic over the foam helps you slide the vinyl on easily. I used the plastic I had gotten at Home Depot (given away free from a roll in the entranceway to be used as a trunk liner when you buy sloppy stuff). It was thin and never got in the way. Sears has stainless staples. You can see photos of my reupholstery on the Sunrunner site at yahoo. Look for photos of "Littlebookworm II". Good luck Hy

ax1lla

Seaman

Hi sschefer (or anyone),

Just to make sure I understand this correctly..

I shouldn't cut the foam to the exact same size as my plywood cutout, right? You are saying that if my foam is 2 inches thick I should extend the foam 2 inches all the way around, correct?

Also, is there something specific I should use for my bolts? I was just going to use a standard bolt and a wingnut for attaching it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hi sschefer (or anyone),

Just to make sure I understand this correctly..

I shouldn't cut the foam to the exact same size as my plywood cutout, right? You are saying that if my foam is 2 inches thick I should extend the foam 2 inches all the way around, correct?

Also, is there something specific I should use for my bolts? I was just going to use a standard bolt and a wingnut for attaching it.

I always add the thickness to the width so that when I pull it tight I don't see the backer line and it stands tall to the edge rather than slumping in towards the center. As for the bolts, use whatever you like. I like carriage bolts since you don't have a way to hold on to them once their covered.

sling

Seaman Apprentice

Google joann fabrics ......50 % off coupon codes are available

ax1lla

Seaman

Hey guys,

I just got back from Home Depot to get the wood I need, as I am finally ready to begin this project. In the above posts, it was mentioned that I would be good with exterior grade plywood as long as I coat with epoxy/resin.

However, I didn't see anything that was "exterior grade". So instead, I got the 1/2 inch untreated plywood (4-ply).

Home Depot didn't have West Epoxy or anything that seemed suitable to coat it with, so I'm still trying to find that (Lowes perhaps?).

Anyway, based on your above comments, will I be OK using this plywood as long as I coat it with epoxy or resin?

Also, do you guys use spike-T nuts for your bolts?

Thanks again!

Corey

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you bought non-exterior grade plywood that could be an issue. The glue in it won't like getting wet at all. When I bought my plywood at Lowes, they had all the ply marked as either "suitable for indoor projects" or "suitable for indoor or outdoor projects". I have been to HD and seen them not mark their ply well. And I HAVE almost bought interior grade. Hate to say it but you may want to return it. (or maybe, if you have your receipt, you could have them check to see just what it was you bought).

For epoxy resin, I doubt you'll find it at Lowes/HD. You'll probably have to order from someplace like US Composites. I do know another member who just scored a heck of a deal on epoxy off ebay. The stuff at Lowes is most likely poly resin which you don't want to use without fiberglass.

T-nuts would be great for upholstered panels. I know Lowes has stainless T-nuts cuz I just saw them there last week.

ax1lla

Seaman

Thanks ezmobee - I did a little reading last night and came to the same conclusion. It seems the glue might not make it if I go with interior grade. Although, my reading suggested that the glue is still water resistant to a point - I don't feel like taking any chances.

You're right, it wasn't marked at HD. Unfortunately, I will just have to return it and head to Lowes, where hopefully they have it.

As far as the epoxy/resin is concerned: this is basically for the seats and side panels of the boat. Do I need to go crazy with something like West Epoxy or can I use something cheaper that will be fine for 10 years +? Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative that will still last a long time?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative that will still last a long time?

To be honest, for my deck, which I really don't want to ever replace again, I used epoxy. For my side panels and things like that, I just used a couple coats of porch and floor paint. Heck, you're gonna be throwing a bunch of staples in it anyway. Why go nuts? ;)

ax1lla

Seaman

Now THAT's the answer I was looking for! lol

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, how wet can that wood get just from a little spray when it has foam and upholstery covering it besides?

Thanks again! I'm sure I will have additional questions as I being to tackle this project.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The big killer is not the water on top it's the humidty and moisture behind and below. I've found that 2 heavy coats of 1 part polyurethane like Helman's Spar Urethane does the job nicely. For marine grade, rubber backed carpet and marine grade vinyl I use indoor/outdoor spread on glue from Home Depot and roll it down with a heavy "J" roller. In some areas where the spread glue is just not possible I'll use 3M spray 90 or 80 glue depending on the material.

My carpet and vinyl are heading into their second season of heavy use and look as good as the day I installed it. My decks are not showing any signs of moisture accumulation and don't seem to be sweating. I also have blowers in my bilge that I run for a couple of hours a week when the humidity gets high. Not sure if that really does much more than just run the batteries down but I don't seem to be having any problems.