Removing head - need to remove rockers?

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to remove my head to check the head gasket and check the head for warping - possibilities to a water-in-oil problem.

Is it necessary, as the manual says, to remove the rockers and all of that? I would think the head would lift right up, unless it is difficult to get the push-rods back in when putting it back on.

I also want to remove my head and make sure I've got brains in there... but that's another topic all-together :p

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing head - need to remove rockers?

Is it necessary, as the manual says, to remove the rockers and all of that?

I hate to say it... but if it wasn't necessary then the manual wouldn't tell you to do it. But as you'll find.... how are you going to get a socket on all the head bolts with rocker arms in the way.

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha, ok, I guess if thats the case then it isn't even a question. I pulled the valve cover off and it looked like you could easily access all of the head bolts. Must not have looked closely enough.

Bifflefan

Commander

I leave the rockers on to use a handle when removing the head. Then take them off for cleaning once it is removed. Remove the push rods before you pull the head, its just easier then picking them up from the valley and the floor.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

just back off the rockers so you can pivot them out of the way and pull the push-rods.

zbnutcase

Commander

And if you do remove them keep the pivot ball matched with the rocker! String them on a piece of wire is how i do it. "nutcase