Start of My Project. 1991 Starcraft Islander

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
All-

Late spring i bought a 91 Starcraft islander for cheap. That should have been my first clue. However the 3.0 runs like a top (aside from the need of a carb rebuild) but the boat is exactly what i wanted. I figured i'm pretty handy so i should be able to do most of the work.

Basically i'm gutting the interior and reflooring, and redoing everything.

As i'm getting started i do have some questions, and looking for some suggestions.

1. What is the best way to remove the foam under the floors. Looking for your tips and tricks for removing the stuff.

2. Flotation: what is the best closed cell flotation?

3. What do people use to replace the decking 1/2 inch or 3/4?

4. I've got epoxy to seal the wood, how do most people finish it?

5. Transom, I've got a little rot in the transom, I won't know the extent until i get all of the foam out etc. i've seen many people just replace it, or fix it with git-rot. My initial thought was to just replace, but the mech's at the marina indicate removing the engine and outdrive is a huge job, and that putting it all back together requires a special alignment tools?? I'm not sure i can even get the engine out but assuming i can, do you need special alignment tools?

6. refinishing the cuddy. Anybody have any pics or posts on this? Anyone know where to get new cushions??

I appreciate everyones two cents, this forum is great, and is one of the reasons i figure i can successfully complete this project.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions, I'll be posting pictures soon of this project.

Tim

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Start of My Project. 1991 Starcraft Islander

Tim,

Congrats on the tinnie (we need pics:D) Check out my thread for a starcraft cuddy resto. Wood thickness was 1/2 factory, but most of us are going 3/4 (although I went 5/8) Floor finish can be anything except stinky smelly carpet:D Removing the motor is not really that big a deal , so if in doubt, do it. most of us can give you a hand on the details. As far as cushions, I hada local car resto place do the work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats! In case you haven't noticed yet....there's quite a large Starcraft following here. We love pictures! Also, please update your profile with your location. We like to know where everyone is from.

I'm working on a 18' Starcraft right now. I'm going to go with 3/4" on the floor. I had 3/4" in my 16' and loved it. It was rock solid, no flex at all. As for the final finish after the epoxy..I'm going to go with Durabak or a similar product. I'm seriously considering Overton's rubberized floor coating. Like Bret said above, from what I've gathered pulling the engine is not a HUGE deal, if your going to the trouble of doing the floor, I'd do the transom as well if its condition is questionable. I believe there IS a special alignment tool. For foam, many of us are layering in the pink or blue sheet construction foam from Lowes/HD. It will NOT absorb water. I think your cuddy cushions will be a custom job.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gents,

Thanks for the encouragement, think i'm gonna needs lots before she's done.
wrfalpacas - Your StarChief is AWESOME. I took a ton of great information from your restore. If mine turns out half that good, i'll be thrilled.

Ezmobee, apparently we are neighbors, as i too live in York. Perhaps we can trade notes and or manpower.

Pics coming tomorrow.

Tim

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sweet!! Send me a PM. I wanna come see this thing. There's another SC owner in Lancaster (coolbikeguy) and we've gotten together before. I boat at Lake Clarke and Conowingo.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet!! Send me a PM. I wanna come see this thing. There's another SC owner in Lancaster (coolbikeguy) and we've gotten together before. I boat at Lake Clarke and Conowingo.

Awesome! I sent you a pm with my particulars. Where is lake Conowingo. I spent the summer on Clarke, but wasn't all that impressed.

Any suggestions for removing the foam floation??

Tim

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Conowingo is also the Susquehanna but down towards MD. It's 3 times (or more) the size of Clarke and very sparsely populated. Clarke is great for a weeknight but I avoid it on the weekends.

My previous boat didn't have poured in foam so I don't have any experience with that. I think you gotta just keep hacking and scraping away at it. I'm really hoping my SS doesn't have that kind of foam either.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a link to some pics

http://gallery.me.com/timfives#100024

It ain't pretty, and it is sinking in just how much work it is gonna be. But as long as she is ready for next spring. I'll be happy.

Tim

Rickairmedic

Commander

Tim Welcome to iboats and since we have pictures now :D The Starcraft Club. When EZ talks to you He should tell you about our evening chats on Live/MSN messenger several of the Starcraft club members get together to chat pretty regularly . The best ways I have heard of for removing the poured in junk is with a claw hammer and a pry bar after that its a matter of scrapeing whats left out of the hull so you can get the Gluvit down where it needs to go . Most of us have older Starcrafts that had planks of styrofoam in them not the poured in Junk thank goodness. Be sure to talk to EZ about the big get together we have planned for next June at Lake Anna Virginia ( theres a link in my post to the thread on the weekend get together ) .

Rick

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

rick,

Thanks, a SC get together.. that would be cool, and in June, well that should provide some motivation to git-r-done. I'll check out that thread. And always up for some chatting, i'll get an MSN account.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tim, as far as the chat goes....when you sign up for MSN, add your MSN ID to your iboats profile. Then we'll see a little icon under your name like you can see under mine and Rick's names. There should be at least one of us on most evenings after around 8.

Checked out your pictures. You've got a project there but the exterior of that boat looks awesome! At least with a tin boat you won't be in there grinding out rotten stringers like you would with a glass one. Yours will be a little more complicated because it's a cabin boat but in general tin boats are an "easy" restore. That 3.0 and the outdrive look really clean. Those motors have a reputation for being rock solid.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Tim I wouldnt worry to much about Motivation to Git-r-done :D . You have a good neighbor there who will help motivate you LOL. He is motivating me to get mine done and I am a few states away so he cant just show up in my driveway with tools at any time :D. I agree with EZ I think the worst of your resto will be getting the foam out after that just a matter of cleanup and then putting her back together . I have heard rumors that acetone will melt the nasty pour in foam but acetone is also pretty nasty not something you want to work with in an enclosed space for sure.

Rick

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick,

thanks, should be all set up now for the chat, and got my stuff together. Now time to go find a claw hammer!

Tim

Huron Angler

Admiral

Tim congrats on the Islander purchase:) They have been my favorite boats since I was around 10 years old.:D

That poured-in foam does NOT look like fun:(

I like the cooler storage facility you've got hanging off the transom(I'm a function over form type of person). Do you plan on keeping it?

Did that fire extinguisher come with the boat? That thing is huge!

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

That foam is gonna suck, was messing with it at lunch today. I'll probably keep the cooler rack, but i'm gonna modify it a bit, as i'm also gonna be putting on a kicker, so need room that that. (got a 2003 9.9 4 stroke merc)

The Fire Extinguisher is mine,as an ex - firefighter i don't have small extinguishers ;)

Tim

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

timfives welcome to the cult.:D And congrats on the boat looks like it will be a nice one when done. I added you to my MSN see ya in chat.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

added some more pictures to the site, the picture of the foam sparkling in the sunlight, is due to the fact that it is full of water..

If anyone knows of links on removing the outdrive and the engine that would be great.

T

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Finally another I/O guy..
Geeesh..85.2 % of all the SC on here are Hung n run outboard guys..lol

A couple things I can toss out to ya..

You will need a Merc alignment tool if you pull the OD...
It is basically a tapered steel shaft...
Heres a link for special tools

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Tools/98toolcv1.pdf

Here is a link to download the Mercruiser factory service guide

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1693398#post 1693398

Removing the OD is not too difficult..I did it on my old POS boat..
Here is my post on that issue..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280566

I cant help on the engine removal..Haven't had to yet..thank the Lord..
But you can easily search the Mercruiser I/O forum because many have gone where you are about to go..

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Good Luck..I'll help ya where I can..I am not the brightest bulb in the pack..ask any of these guys..lol

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bouttime you showed Up Kev I thought maybe you had goten the impeller done and were out floating around in the gulf LOL. Think you can make it to chat tonight :p.

Rick

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

cheapboatkev,

Thanks for the info.. some late night reading...

T